Reload this Page >

vacuum space saving bags

vacuum space saving bags

Old Jul 27th 2004, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough
Default vacuum space saving bags

hi everyone,
we are shipping some stuff over to Australia, and just wondering if anyone who is already there used those vacuum packs to make clothes and duvets smaller etc? We spoke to the shipping company and they advised against it as there will be temperature changes.Any advise , or opinions much appreciated!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Advised by Larissa to use them so I did.

Cost £11.95 for 2. First one popped, so had to chuck itand they didnt make the package THAT small.

Found them a waste of money. Get a couple of small cases instead
Old Jul 27th 2004, 7:00 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: vacuum space saving bags

Originally posted by igual
hi everyone,
we are shipping some stuff over to Australia, and just wondering if anyone who is already there used those vacuum packs to make clothes and duvets smaller etc? We spoke to the shipping company and they advised against it as there will be temperature changes.Any advise , or opinions much appreciated!
Well, don't fall into the trap that friends of mine did - packed things up in the vacuum bags all right, but then when they wanted to come home they realised that they didn't have a vacuum cleaner to re-pack. (Admittedly they were on holiday, but still...)
Old Jul 27th 2004, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

hi everyone,
Agree with sj oldfield that they don't save too much space on shirts, bedsheets and pillow cases, as they are quite compact once folded.

However we used a few of these vacuum space saver bags for bulky items and were able to reduce the volume by at least 2/3. I'm talking about a large duvet, ski clothes (which were mostly air), wollen blankets, jumpers, cardigans and some winter coats. The shipping company didn't say anything about them.

Even if you can't save lots of space for some of your clothings, vacumm bags are still keeping your clothes from moisture during shipping and storage, especially if you are not expecting to get your personal effects back from the shipper for 2 or 3 months.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:03 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Thick black waste bags work just as well.
For example put a duvet in one and grip the mouth of the bag around your vaccuum nozzle.
When air is sucked out pull out nozzle and twist top of bag...fold it over and tie it with string.
Works for me
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

We used them to return from a hot humid singapore to uk. reduced the pillows and duvets& sleeping bags, the packers said it was fine, and everything arrived ok.
The vacuum bags I've bought in uk- Argos popped or were split already so wouldn't reccommend those. Plenty of people I know use Bix's method and I now do that too.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone for your replys, i'll give the bin liners ago!

Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:23 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your replys, i'll give the bin liners ago!

Hi there,

I have to admit I think they are great if space is at a premium. We used them for some really bulky things like duvets, coats and blankets and as long as you don't put too much in it's really impressive how much you can reduce the volume by (without popping!).

We were convinced ours would be burst and blown up and in all kinds of trouble by the time they arrived but they were absolutely fine! Would definitely use them again.