Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ute's...recommendations pls.

Ute's...recommendations pls.

Old Dec 11th 2005, 12:33 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough
Default Ute's...recommendations pls.

Been round all the garages looking at new UTE's and have almost decided on a Nissan Navara.
Does anyone have an opinion on this car? I am signing up early next week so I still have time to change my mind.
I looked at the Holdens and Toyotas also but the Nissan seems the best deal.
I'm not a car freak, they all seem much the same to me, but I need a 4WD to get on sites at work, also a UTE will fit in the garage (vans dont).
Old Dec 11th 2005, 2:23 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ute's...recommendations pls.

Originally Posted by pompeywill
Been round all the garages looking at new UTE's and have almost decided on a Nissan Navara.
Does anyone have an opinion on this car? I am signing up early next week so I still have time to change my mind.
I'm not a car freak, they all seem much the same to me, but I need a 4WD to get on sites at work, also a UTE will fit in the garage (vans dont).

Make sure you get all the extras, especially the mangy dog tied up with a bit of rope on the flatbed option.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 6:38 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Nissan is now owned by Renault and while there 4x4s have a good rating newer models may now have renault parts on them , not good .
I would buy the Toyota Hilux all day long .
Mate of mine has a 911 and a Landcruiser and he loves the Toyota, the 911 just gathers dust !
Old Dec 11th 2005, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

go for the hilux. i have an old 1986 one they are industrutable
Attached Thumbnails Ute's...recommendations pls.-100_1143_1.jpg  
Old Dec 11th 2005, 11:49 am
Banned

menace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Nissan is now owned by Renault and while there 4x4s have a good rating newer models may now have renault parts on them , not good .
I would buy the Toyota Hilux all day long .
Mate of mine has a 911 and a Landcruiser and he loves the Toyota, the 911 just gathers dust !
Are you serious, Renault own Nissan?

Sacre bleu
Old Dec 11th 2005, 12:38 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I like the Navara, I nearly bought a ST-R diesel version, but they couldn't get the colour I wanted. The deals you can get on them if you have an ABN are really sweet. I was going to pay $39k with an alloy bullbar, soft cover & tinting. The new ST-X version is fantastic, but no discounts at the moment because it's so new. My favourite is the Hilux SR5 diesel but it's way overpriced, over AUD50k, but what a great truck. The new D4D diesel engine is state of the art. Low mileage, 2nd hand but fairly new diesel Hiluxes are hard to find. I wouldn't bother with the Holden or Ford.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 1:59 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I like the Navara, I nearly bought a ST-R diesel version, but they couldn't get the colour I wanted. The deals you can get on them if you have an ABN are really sweet. I was going to pay $39k with an alloy bullbar, soft cover & tinting. The new ST-X version is fantastic, but no discounts at the moment because it's so new. My favourite is the Hilux SR5 diesel but it's way overpriced, over AUD50k, but what a great truck. The new D4D diesel engine is state of the art. Low mileage, 2nd hand but fairly new diesel Hiluxes are hard to find. I wouldn't bother with the Holden or Ford.
prices I have as follows:

Nissan Navara ST-R 3.0L Diesel $41,000
Holden Rodeo 3.0L LT Diesel $46,000
Toyota Hilux 3.0L SR Diesel $49,000

The specs are similar, apart from the fact the Navara is Manual the other two are auto. I test drove the Holden and it was very sluggish with the auto gearbox.
The Toyota I agree, the UTE of choice, but the most expensive and a 4 month waiting list!

I can get a Holden LX for around $40,000 but they are very basic inside, air-con is an extra can you believe! no fruit as they say.
In fact the top of the range Holden LT comes with no air-con its an extra.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 2:02 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robert cowan
go for the hilux. i have an old 1986 one they are industrutable
sorry it's what? industrutable?
Old Dec 11th 2005, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

samay is on a distinguished road

The specs are similar, apart from the fact the Navara is Manual the other two are auto. I test drove the Holden and it was very sluggish with the auto gearbox.
The Toyota I agree, the UTE of choice, but the most expensive and a 4 month waiting list!

I can get a Holden LX for around $40,000 but they are very basic inside, air-con is an extra can you believe! no fruit as they say.
The price you are quoting is for the 2005 Navara, the 2006 model has a 2.5 litre diesel with a 6 speed manual gearbox. This is the one to buy IMO, the engine is smaller than the Toyota or Holden but has better power and torque values.

The new Toyota Hilux is a very good alternative. I would test both and chose the vehicle you find best to drive.

If you decide on the Navara ST-R 3.0l D you may be able to get a better discount as this is now an old model.

By the way, Nissan are not owned by Renault. Renault have 45% share of Nissan and Nissan have a 15% share of Renault. The Nissan Renault joint alliance was set up to take advantage of Nissan's strong position in Asia, Australia and the Middle East and Renault's strong position in Europe and South America. They share engines, floorpans, factories and showrooms in these areas.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

KBREMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Do NOT buy a Holden Rodeo (Izuzu rebadged)

My company car is a 3.5 V6 twin cab LX and yip they look pretty nice BUT they are nothing more than a fuel Guzler...400km to a full tank....Lucky I don't pay for it !!! To be honest most tradies have falcon utes and holden utes that are not 4x4 as you don't really need it.Sites usually have car parks .If you want to have fun while NOT working then get a 4x4!!

I would go for a New Toyota Hilux....well cool.

KB
Old Dec 11th 2005, 11:39 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

As samay says the ST-R is an older model, try to get it for around $39k, push them hard, if they won't go lower go to another dealer. Have you looked at the Mitsubishi Triton GLX-R? It's not as well built as the Nissan but drives well & you should be able to get it for under $38k.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 1:21 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

We ordered a Hilux 3.0L SR Diesel dual cab automatic, with these extras:
metalic paint, ABS, air-con, alloy bull-bar, high roof canopy, ute+tailgate liner, towbar with alloy rear step.

$46,800 on the road. Due late this month.

The paperwork says there's a $5427 discount included in that. The bulk of it is the ABN holders discount.

The approach I took with the dealers was to give each one a list of what we wanted and I told them I'd order from the one with the lowest quote the following week - I wouldn't tell them the prices I'd already been offered. I didn't call any of them back, I let them call me. The following week one called, I then told him he was underbid and he knocked another $200 off.

Only one out of the 4 or 5 dealers quoted poor price. The others were all in the same ballpark once they understood how *we* wanted to haggle. One put a lot of pressure on us to veer from our approach, but he lost the battle and the sale.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 1:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by welshpom
We ordered a Hilux 3.0L SR Diesel dual cab automatic, with these extras:
metalic paint, ABS, air-con, alloy bull-bar, high roof canopy, ute+tailgate liner, towbar with alloy rear step.

$46,800 on the road. Due late this month.

The paperwork says there's a $5427 discount included in that. The bulk of it is the ABN holders discount.

The approach I took with the dealers was to give each one a list of what we wanted and I told them I'd order from the one with the lowest quote the following week - I wouldn't tell them the prices I'd already been offered. I didn't call any of them back, I let them call me. The following week one called, I then told him he was underbid and he knocked another $200 off.

Only one out of the 4 or 5 dealers quoted poor price. The others were all in the same ballpark once they understood how *we* wanted to haggle. One put a lot of pressure on us to veer from our approach, but he lost the battle and the sale.
That's a good price, something closer to my budget. Good strategy on the bargaining, shows you can get a discount on newer models. I think sometimes it's about volume with the dealer, the more they sell, the more brownie points from the manufacturer. The SR diesel is superb, it makes the Navara look like a Lada.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 1:28 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

By the way 'pompeywill ', as far as I know the hilux SR only has air-con as standard (or free extra) on the tray-top, so beware if you're thinking of going non-tray.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SonicBird
sorry it's what? industrutable?
LOL. indistructable . did you see what they did to one on top gear.
you can down load the vid off the top gear web site.
http://cc.oulu.fi/~thu/LC/misc/TopGear_Hilux.html

Last edited by robert cowan; Dec 12th 2005 at 11:16 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.