Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ute Van or Pick Up?

Ute Van or Pick Up?

Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light
Default Ute Van or Pick Up?

Traditionally in the UK we are all running around in vans. On my validation trip I noticed that most tradies had Ute's, pick ups, 4 x 4s with trailers etc and that there were not too many vans on the road.

I have always been a Transit Van owner and realise that I may have to use another mode of transport in Australia and I know this type of thread has probably been done to death but what are the advantages of Ute's, pick ups etc as opposed to a van? How easy is it to get vans in Australia and are they more expensive due to them not being as common?

Lone Ranger
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ute Van or Pick Up?

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Traditionally in the UK we are all running around in vans. On my validation trip I noticed that most tradies had Ute's, pick ups, 4 x 4s with trailers etc and that there were not too many vans on the road.

I have always been a Transit Van owner and realise that I may have to use another mode of transport in Australia and I know this type of thread has probably been done to death but what are the advantages of Ute's, pick ups etc as opposed to a van? How easy is it to get vans in Australia and are they more expensive due to them not being as common?

Lone Ranger
Plenty of vans here. You can get Toyota, Merc, Renault, Kia, VW among others.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Plenty of vans here. You can get Toyota, Merc, Renault, Kia, VW among others.
Thats good mate, are they reasonably priced? How do they compare pricewise against ute's / pick ups etc?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

And the Ford Transit also.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:46 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Thats good mate, are they reasonably priced? How do they compare pricewise against ute's / pick ups etc?
just looking for a small van myself

holden combo 1.4 petrol ( astra van ) c/w ac approx $20,480

citroen berlingo 1.4 petrol $ 16,490

renault kangoo 1.6 petrol $20,990

ford transit from $32990
http://www.southsideford.com.au/new/...0&idproduct=62

Last edited by steve`o; Mar 27th 2008 at 8:48 am.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Lone Ranger
White vans are no good as chick magnets.

PV's used to be chick magnets.

Now it's the tricked up ute which are totally useless on a wet boggy construction site.

WW
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future

Lone Ranger
I am a Painter Decorator and had been used to the white van and all it encompassed back in the UK. When I got here I bought a New Kia van, seemed a sensible thing to do as second hand Toyota panel vans were a couple of grand less than it cost me for the new Kia. Looked good, plenty of room in the back, had it sign written and all the mod cons ......... It sat there and sat there and sat there. Didn't get much work of my own to start with so couldn't justify the cost. Flogged it for a couple of grand short of what I paid for it and decided on a Mitsubishi Triton Dual Cab (lots of kids) The best bloody car/van/pick-up and off roader I have ever owned. I can take the kids to school in it, go off to work and even take the off road route home. Fantastic!!!! Would highly recommend the Dual Cab Ute's as a multifunctional vehicle
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cypry
I am a Painter Decorator and had been used to the white van and all it encompassed back in the UK. When I got here I bought a New Kia van, seemed a sensible thing to do as second hand Toyota panel vans were a couple of grand less than it cost me for the new Kia. Looked good, plenty of room in the back, had it sign written and all the mod cons ......... It sat there and sat there and sat there. Didn't get much work of my own to start with so couldn't justify the cost. Flogged it for a couple of grand short of what I paid for it and decided on a Mitsubishi Triton Dual Cab (lots of kids) The best bloody car/van/pick-up and off roader I have ever owned. I can take the kids to school in it, go off to work and even take the off road route home. Fantastic!!!! Would highly recommend the Dual Cab Ute's as a multifunctional vehicle
Have thought about the Mitsubishi pick ups and will check them out.

Cheers

Lone Ranger
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:51 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

We've got a Mazda BT50. Very practical and looks awesome too. Carries all the horse crap from place to place, tows 3 tonnes and is still good for some 4WD at the weekend.

Transit van or shmick pick up truck...let me see....decisions decisions.

That said even for a practical work only vehicle I dont think you'd go wrong with a Hilux workmate.