Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Ute / Pick Up - Necessity or Fashio Item

The Ute / Pick Up - Necessity or Fashio Item

Old May 14th 2009, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Ute / Pick Up - Necessity or Fashio Item

Originally Posted by sr71
Utes are hardly a fashionable thing, they have been around for decades in Australia, but have become a bit metrosexual in the last few years.
In other words it is quite 'Hip' to have one, therefore more of a fashion item?
Old May 14th 2009, 7:14 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
In other words it is quite 'Hip' to have one, therefore more of a fashion item?
Well no, not if you use them for work.
Old May 14th 2009, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by neil248
Depending on your trade a van has to be a better bet. Have seen kitchens on the backs of tradies utes getting soaked in the rain.

A few utes are well kitted and suited to the trades man using it but most utes are useless especially for the vehicles behind as things bounce off the tray and either hit the following vehicle or leave unpleasant obstructions on the road. We have had this happen to us, not very pleasant but badly driven utes often have phone numbers on them so at least you can follow it up. The lady on the end of the phone will be very pleasant and promise to have a stern word with the lads involved!

Ute drivers have to be the most anti social drivers on QLD roads and speed limits and keeping a safe distance do not apply to them.

Would love a SS Commodore ute though just for the hell of it.
My thoughts exactly! How many of you have went from van to pick up and then thought 'If I had a van I could've got this in'? More secure also for tools and as you highlighted things getting soaked or falling off!
Old May 14th 2009, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Well no, not if you use them for work.
Agree but there is an element of 'Boy / Girl Racer' attached to them that perhaps you don't get with say a Ford Transit, although I have seen a few 'souped up customised' vans going around! By fashion item I mean the type of affection reserved for 'The Volkswagen Camper' etc and how its 'Hip' to have one!
Old May 14th 2009, 7:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby got his Mazda Dual Cab for $5,000 when we arrived. It's been brilliant, couldn't live without it. Only thing he's had to work on so far is the brakes. We don't have a dog though so we have to tie our youngest up in the back and let her fly about when we go round corners.
Old May 14th 2009, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

There's definitely two types of ute driver.

There are the tradies whose utes are bashed to buggery, covered in muck and look like they do what they're meant to.

Then you have the poser types in their SS with alloys, chrome everywhere and blacked out windows with a tacky 'SKIN' sticker on the back window.

Drive around Wanneroo and you'll see plenty of examples of both.
Old May 14th 2009, 7:32 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Hubby got his Mazda Dual Cab for $5,000 when we arrived. It's been brilliant, couldn't live without it. Only thing he's had to work on so far is the brakes. We don't have a dog though so we have to tie our youngest up in the back and let her fly about when we go round corners.
The cruelty continues..................
Old May 14th 2009, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
There's definitely two types of ute driver.

There are the tradies whose utes are bashed to buggery, covered in muck and look like they do what they're meant to.

Then you have the poser types in their SS with alloys, chrome everywhere and blacked out windows with a tacky 'SKIN' sticker on the back window.

Drive around Wanneroo and you'll see plenty of examples of both.
The only problem is that first thing in the mornings the bashed up tradies ute is usually being driven as though it is a SS V8 and the constant lane changing to get one vehicle ahead just makes stuff even more likely to fall off

Last edited by neil248; May 14th 2009 at 7:49 am.
Old May 14th 2009, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by neil248
The only problem is that first thing in the mornings the bashed up tradies ute is usually being driven as though it is a SS V8 and the constant lane changing to get one vehicle ahead just makes stuff even more likely to fall off
Too true.

Was driving up the Mitchell freeway behind a lunatic a couple of weeks ago when a bloody sink fell off the back of his UTE. Caused absolute chaos with people swerving all over the place.
Old May 14th 2009, 8:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
The cruelty continues..................
These people need to know who's boss
Old May 14th 2009, 8:51 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

This has probably been done to death so tin hat on here!

As a lifetime 'White Van Man' mainly the Ford Transit which I can't see past and have had all the shapes and sizes over the years and can hear the old Transit engine from miles away I am intrigued to know whether or not the Ute or similar types of pick up trucks used throughout the construction game by tradies is more of a necessary piece of equipment rather than a fashion item?

There was a spell here in Scotland, particularly around the millenium and early 2000s when a lot of folk I know in the building industry were cutting about in pick up / 4 x 4 Mitsubishi Warriors and the likes, however, most of them have went back to the 'White Van' so that has got me thinking that in Oz the Ute maybe just a 'fashionable vehicle' although I can understand the pro's and con's such a vehicle might provide.

Personally my preferred choice has and always will be 'The White Van' as I like to have all my tools and kit with me (van all racked out inside) at all times so as not to get caught short on the job! I have a feeling that my mind / opinion may change once I eventually get to Australia and indeed start working and reckon a lot of it will be down to the terrain as to how practical something like the Transit would be.

I would be interested in your thoughts, opinions and any advice and as they say 'a change is as good as a rest' so it could be that I might have to take the blinkers off!

Lone Ranger
Had a van with all tools in it, very handy, dry etc.

Now tow trailer with dual cab, can chuck materails etc in back, clean up after, then when finshed work un hitch trailer and go and have some fun in the 4wd and take the whole family.
Old May 14th 2009, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
I personally can't stand 'white vans', think they look awful and are a real blight on UK roads. They are usually filthy, and often have pikey padlocks on the doors.

Utes are hardly a fashionable thing, they have been around for decades in Australia, but have become a bit metrosexual in the last few years.
Er...

White vans look gay. They look like they might topple over going around a corner, or seem seriously underpowered.

Utes look cool. Especially the 4wd ones - (you don't need outsize tyres).

Apart from someone nicking something from the tray.....not secured properly.

Also good for heavy loads. Mine gets used for firewood and as a rubbish skip.
Old May 14th 2009, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I hate driving but am going to have refresher lessons - why? because I have a thing for Utes.

Seriously, I spent ages in the John Huges car yard gazing at them all and my husband does not get it at all.

I don't know why I love them but I do - it doesnt have to be one of the new ones, a tatty one would do.

Bloody hell, someone else that loves them, I feel better about my fettish for these vehicles now.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Mine's an old looking 1992 Mitsubishi with 330k on it!!

You don't see many around in Melbourne now: I am a povo - there's no doubt. Mine has been great I spend about 300 bucks a year on it.

Having said that, I've had to spend a bit recently - a few leaks here and there, I'm getting to the point where all the problems are seals and gaskets..in easy to get to (or not) places, and at Christmas, new shocks all-round.
Old May 14th 2009, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

This has probably been done to death so tin hat on here!

As a lifetime 'White Van Man' mainly the Ford Transit which I can't see past and have had all the shapes and sizes over the years and can hear the old Transit engine from miles away I am intrigued to know whether or not the Ute or similar types of pick up trucks used throughout the construction game by tradies is more of a necessary piece of equipment rather than a fashion item?

There was a spell here in Scotland, particularly around the millenium and early 2000s when a lot of folk I know in the building industry were cutting about in pick up / 4 x 4 Mitsubishi Warriors and the likes, however, most of them have went back to the 'White Van' so that has got me thinking that in Oz the Ute maybe just a 'fashionable vehicle' although I can understand the pro's and con's such a vehicle might provide.

Personally my preferred choice has and always will be 'The White Van' as I like to have all my tools and kit with me (van all racked out inside) at all times so as not to get caught short on the job! I have a feeling that my mind / opinion may change once I eventually get to Australia and indeed start working and reckon a lot of it will be down to the terrain as to how practical something like the Transit would be.

I would be interested in your thoughts, opinions and any advice and as they say 'a change is as good as a rest' so it could be that I might have to take the blinkers off!

Lone Ranger
Well here is my opinion.

I have used 2 pick ups in the U.K for work that belonged to someone else and you could not pay me to use one for work. I find the whole thing about getting your tools off and on a real drag due to the height and you always seem to be leaning over getting things out. The whole trailer thing also hacks most tradies off I know that use one, popping down Bunnings e.t.c is not so easy.You can rack a van out if you want and it is usually more secure.
I do however thing utes / pick ups are good for the family / beach thing and it may well be our next car is a Navara / Hilux e.t.c.

Hope this helps from gay white van man (pmsl )
Old May 14th 2009, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Do you get a free dog for in the back when you buy a ute in OZ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.