British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The Ute / Pick Up - Necessity or Fashio Item (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/ute-pick-up-necessity-fashio-item-608860/)

LoneRanger May 13th 2009 11:26 am

The Ute / Pick Up - Necessity or Fashio Item

This has probably been done to death so tin hat on here!:eek:

As a lifetime 'White Van Man' mainly the Ford Transit which I can't see past and have had all the shapes and sizes over the years and can hear the old Transit engine from miles away I am intrigued to know whether or not the Ute or similar types of pick up trucks used throughout the construction game by tradies is more of a necessary piece of equipment rather than a fashion item?

There was a spell here in Scotland, particularly around the millenium and early 2000s when a lot of folk I know in the building industry were cutting about in pick up / 4 x 4 Mitsubishi Warriors and the likes, however, most of them have went back to the 'White Van' so that has got me thinking that in Oz the Ute maybe just a 'fashionable vehicle' although I can understand the pro's and con's such a vehicle might provide.

Personally my preferred choice has and always will be 'The White Van' as I like to have all my tools and kit with me (van all racked out inside) at all times so as not to get caught short on the job! I have a feeling that my mind / opinion may change once I eventually get to Australia and indeed start working and reckon a lot of it will be down to the terrain as to how practical something like the Transit would be.

I would be interested in your thoughts, opinions and any advice and as they say 'a change is as good as a rest' so it could be that I might have to take the blinkers off!

Lone Ranger

bu1lder May 13th 2009 11:54 am

Re: The Ute / Pick Up - Necessity or Fashio Item

Originally Posted by LoneRanger (Post 7567681)

As a lifetime 'White Van Man' mainly the Ford Transit which I can't see past and have had all the shapes and sizes over the years and can hear the old Transit engine from miles away I am intrigued to know whether or not the Ute or similar types of pick up trucks used throughout the construction game by tradies is more of a necessary piece of equipment rather than a fashion item?

There was a spell here in Scotland, particularly around the millenium and early 2000s when a lot of folk I know in the building industry were cutting about in pick up / 4 x 4 Mitsubishi Warriors and the likes, however, most of them have went back to the 'White Van' so that has got me thinking that in Oz the Ute maybe just a 'fashionable vehicle' although I can understand the pro's and con's such a vehicle might provide.

Personally my preferred choice has and always will be 'The White Van' as I like to have all my tools and kit with me (van all racked out inside) at all times so as not to get caught short on the job! I have a feeling that my mind / opinion may change once I eventually get to Australia and indeed start working and reckon a lot of it will be down to the terrain as to how practical something like the Transit would be.

I would be interested in your thoughts, opinions and any advice and as they say 'a change is as good as a rest' so it could be that I might have to take the blinkers off!

Lone Ranger

First thing I'm buying in august.....Hilux d/cab! Had 6 here ,love em.

ukecadet May 13th 2009 11:59 am

I've always had a tradesmans trailer with a rack on the top .Used to tow it with a car but recently bought a single cab Ute with a good size tray.The tray has been very useful and saved me a small fortune on skips.Also able to remove rubbish from the jobs which the customers love as nearly all trades leave the mess for them to clean up.
Leave em happy that's my motto.

Actually my motto is ...You can't have enough mottos

Cant rain all the time2 May 13th 2009 12:20 pm

Obviously a van is way more practical than any Ute but Ford don't do 5.0 V8 Transit do they?

kporte May 13th 2009 12:27 pm

Essential. On the beach at Rainbow, camping etc. Love mine:wub:

Vash the Stampede May 13th 2009 1:27 pm

Nissan Navara turbo diesel!

:thumbup:

Cheetah7 May 13th 2009 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by bu1lder (Post 7567771)
First thing I'm buying in august.....Hilux d/cab! Had 6 here ,love em.

OMG so do I:wub:

I havent driven since I passed my test donkeys years ago - well I have had one lesson last year.

I hate driving but am going to have refresher lessons - why? because I have a thing for Utes.

Seriously, I spent ages in the John Huges car yard gazing at them all and my husband does not get it at all.

I don't know why I love them but I do - it doesnt have to be one of the new ones, a tatty one would do.

Bloody hell, someone else that loves them, I feel better about my fettish for these vehicles now.

I am saving up for one, Mr PP is going to get a car (maybe if we can find something cheap/old banger) next month and then Ill save for my Ute:wub:

My Dad said that they are not a 'female car' but I don't care one bit.

Vash the Stampede May 13th 2009 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 7568137)

I havent driven since I passed my test donkeys years ago - well I have had one lesson last year.

I hate driving but am going to have refresher lessons - why? because I have a thing for Utes.

Seriously, I spent ages in the John Huges car yard gazing at them all and my husband does not get it at all.

I don't know why I love them but I do - it doesnt have to be one of the new ones, a tatty one would do.

Bloody hell, someone else that loves them, I feel better about my fettish for these vehicles now.

I am saving up for one, Mr PP is going to get a car (maybe if we can find something cheap/old banger) next month and then Ill save for my Ute:wub:

Ooh, you filthy minx! :ohmy: :o

DrWho May 13th 2009 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 7568136)

Got one, wouldn't do it again to be honest... The build quality just isn't comparable to a Tojo...

bu1lder May 13th 2009 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 7568137)

"top girl!" :thumbsup:

jad n rich May 13th 2009 8:41 pm

Have utes, mine is a real one that gets used not some shiney thing with polished chrome and thick black carpet everywhere:confused: Useless.

Old bashed up ford dual cab, will tow anything, carries 3 dogs, or teens and surfboards and drags a trailer, gets serviced on the driveway, few dents in it from mishaps on from building sites, grey plastic flooring so you can climb in covered in mud.....

Certainly not a fashion item, leave them for men with small egos :p :rofl:

I returned a large hire machine in it and got the typical comment, 'thats not your vehicle is it' always get that from older blokes, woman with real ute always gets them, one offered to help me park it, One asked if I could drive it, replied no I pushed it here:lol:

neil248 May 13th 2009 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by LoneRanger (Post 7567681)

Lone Ranger

Depending on your trade a van has to be a better bet. Have seen kitchens on the backs of tradies utes getting soaked in the rain.

A few utes are well kitted and suited to the trades man using it but most utes are useless especially for the vehicles behind as things bounce off the tray and either hit the following vehicle or leave unpleasant obstructions on the road. We have had this happen to us, not very pleasant but badly driven utes often have phone numbers on them so at least you can follow it up. The lady on the end of the phone will be very pleasant and promise to have a stern word with the lads involved!

Ute drivers have to be the most anti social drivers on QLD roads and speed limits and keeping a safe distance do not apply to them.

Would love a SS Commodore ute though just for the hell of it.

rugbymatt May 13th 2009 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 7568136)

Brilliant truck!
Loads of power, tows a house, pity about the ground clearance but I guess you cant have everything.

sr71 May 13th 2009 11:55 pm

I personally can't stand 'white vans', think they look awful and are a real blight on UK roads. They are usually filthy, and often have pikey padlocks on the doors.

Utes are hardly a fashionable thing, they have been around for decades in Australia, but have become a bit metrosexual in the last few years.

Cheetah7 May 14th 2009 12:58 am

Originally Posted by bu1lder (Post 7569148)
"top girl!" :thumbsup:

I dont like the new shiny ones though.

I am going to get one and get over my hatred/fear of driving - I will need someone to sit in with me when I go out until I get my confidence.

My husband hates them:(

Im going to look on the internet right now.