Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Using your UK credit card in Australia

Using your UK credit card in Australia

Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:51 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Using your UK credit card in Australia

When I was in Oz a couple of weeks ago, I used my UK credit card to pay for furniture. The full amount was refused by the furniture stores payment system, according to the furniture shop because it was a large amount. I could however use my credit card for a smaller amount. The balance of which I have to pay the furniture delivery guys when they bring the furniture to my place next week.

I called Halifax and they told me, I should be able to use my card overseas ok, for any amount no matter how large, the problem lies with the equipment the stores in Oz use. Apparantly with an international credit card the Australian credit card system has a limit the equivalent of 300 pounds, anything above gets refused. If the stores see this refusal, they are supposed to call the credit card provider for authorisation and they can then fulfill the transaction. Let me add, this is nothing to do with using the card overseas and alarm bells going off because the credit card company think the card is being used frauduently [sp]. Apparantly most stores in Oz do not use the payment system called PQD? which does allow all international credit card payments no matter how large.

So my query is, until I get an Australian credit card, I am tied to my UK one. Next week when the furniture guys come I need to pay off my balance, which is going to be over 300 pounds. I have been told by the warehouse the delivery guys do accept credit card. Is their credit card payment machine likely to be the same as the one they use in store, and if the payment be refused, would the furniture delivery guys be aware of calling the credit card company to put in some code into the machine to authorise the payment or what? Has anyone else been in this situation or similiar, with delivery guys and using their credit card to pay for the items, and the amount being over 300 pounds. Sigh...
Old Jun 20th 2007, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of
Default Re: Using your UK credit card in Australia

Originally Posted by C&R
When I was in Oz a couple of weeks ago, I used my UK credit card to pay for furniture. The full amount was refused by the furniture stores payment system, according to the furniture shop because it was a large amount. I could however use my credit card for a smaller amount. The balance of which I have to pay the furniture delivery guys when they bring the furniture to my place next week.

I called Halifax and they told me, I should be able to use my card overseas ok, for any amount no matter how large, the problem lies with the equipment the stores in Oz use. Apparantly with an international credit card the Australian credit card system has a limit the equivalent of 300 pounds, anything above gets refused. If the stores see this refusal, they are supposed to call the credit card provider for authorisation and they can then fulfill the transaction. Let me add, this is nothing to do with using the card overseas and alarm bells going off because the credit card company think the card is being used frauduently [sp]. Apparantly most stores in Oz do not use the payment system called PQD? which does allow all international credit card payments no matter how large.

So my query is, until I get an Australian credit card, I am tied to my UK one. Next week when the furniture guys come I need to pay off my balance, which is going to be over 300 pounds. I have been told by the warehouse the delivery guys do accept credit card. Is their credit card payment machine likely to be the same as the one they use in store, and if the payment be refused, would the furniture delivery guys be aware of calling the credit card company to put in some code into the machine to authorise the payment or what? Has anyone else been in this situation or similiar, with delivery guys and using their credit card to pay for the items, and the amount being over 300 pounds. Sigh...
why don't you try doing multiple transactions? Could be a way to get around the £300 limit. You may need to warn your card issuer though or the transactions may look dodgy!

Galba
Old Jun 20th 2007, 3:23 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by C&R

i don't understand why you'd use your uk credit card? won't you have funds over here? or does it have to be on credit?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 5:00 am
C&R

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
i don't understand why you'd use your uk credit card? won't you have funds over here? or does it have to be on credit?
I won't have the funds available to me when I arrive on Monday, so am depending on my credit card until then.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 5:15 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by C&R
I won't have the funds available to me when I arrive on Monday, so am depending on my credit card until then.
it's too late to open an account and tfr your money across before you get here then? i guess so i just seen you fly Sunday
Old Jun 20th 2007, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by C&R

We found the same problem, what we did was to split the payment into an amount that would go through and just do the transaction in a couple of goes.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C&R

We used our english credit card in March (Lloyds) for $2,500. Had no problems with the transaction. The only problem I had was there was a limit on my new australian debit card, maximum of $1,000 per day (which I didn;t know )
Not much help just a bit of info.

Lynne
Old Jun 20th 2007, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C&R
Apparantly most stores in Oz do not use the payment system called PQD? which does allow all international credit card payments no matter how large.
The PQD is the actual transaction machine, they are used in every transaction worldwide if using a card including the UK - just in case you needed to know. x
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:14 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

I guess you could always use your credit card at an ATM and take out enough over the next few days to cover the payment (bearing the maximum ATM withdrawal). Only problem is you'd get slugged with all the exchange rates/fees etc but it may be better than not being able to pay them at all!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:26 am
C&R

Originally Posted by Budgie
I guess you could always use your credit card at an ATM and take out enough over the next few days to cover the payment (bearing the maximum ATM withdrawal). Only problem is you'd get slugged with all the exchange rates/fees etc but it may be better than not being able to pay them at all!
Thanks for this. I thought about using my debit card and withdrawing the funds from my UK current account, but the maximum withdrawal is 300 pounds. It will work out somehow I am sure.

Pogsy - did you just keep swiping your card until it totaled the amount you had to pay? Were they ok with this?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by C&R
Thanks for this. I thought about using my debit card and withdrawing the funds from my UK current account, but the maximum withdrawal is 300 pounds. It will work out somehow I am sure.

Pogsy - did you just keep swiping your card until it totaled the amount you had to pay? Were they ok with this?
Yes thats right, we bought some prints for $10,000 and they did the transaction four times.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:47 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pogsy
Yes thats right, we bought some prints for $10,000 and they did the transaction four times.
I paid a deposit on a car in Oz with a Nationwide credit card - was about £1500 and went through OK.

Buzzy
Old Jun 20th 2007, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

I have a Halifax credit card and you need to inform the clearing department that you are in OZ and what region you are in, it helps if you phone them with the details of amount you will be using and company name.
I have used mine for a couple of big purchases over $5,000 each time with no problem.

Di
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

I have several Credit Cards one of which being a Halifax, never had any problem using it in Australia, also have several debit cards, never had any problem using them at the ATM's. if your limit is only £300 you can ask the bank to increase it, (normally done by the next working day) mine are all £1000 a day on debit cards.

Jacen
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:41 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

My wife had a similar problem earlier this week.

The store managed to process the payment on the basis of a Cardholder Not Present transaction ... it might be worth asking the store to try processing a payment on your UK c/card on that basis.

Best regards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.