Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Using Visa/Delta cards in Oz

Using Visa/Delta cards in Oz

Old Oct 19th 2003, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Using Visa/Delta cards in Oz

My Mum is a star at the moment- love her so much I could burst! She is taking the whole thing so well that I am so proud of her.

When we first told her she was agast and proclaimed she would never come out to visit. 6 months later she is telling me she has seen a nice 3 bed house with a Granny annex and she could live in the annex and rent out the house now She is also saving for her fare to visit us next year.

I am currently trying to get her pension etc sent direct to her bank account and set up internet banking for her, so she can use it when in Oz ( I am hoping she will stay for 2-3 months). The question is can you use an English Visa Delta card out there to pay for things? It is not a credit card, but one that debits straight from your account.

Thank God she has cheered me up this weekend after the house sale saga. Let's hope it is all good news now!
Old Oct 19th 2003, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

lind is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello - just a quickie about the delta/visa debit cards - I used mine with no problems last time we were in oz - I thint that you may need to check that the bank doesn't charge you for the use.Mine didn't but I'm sure that won't apply to all.

Linda x
Old Oct 19th 2003, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Prestons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Using Visa/Delta cards in Oz

Originally posted by tinaj
My Mum is a star at the moment- love her so much I could burst! She is taking the whole thing so well that I am so proud of her.

When we first told her she was agast and proclaimed she would never come out to visit. 6 months later she is telling me she has seen a nice 3 bed house with a Granny annex and she could live in the annex and rent out the house now She is also saving for her fare to visit us next year.

I am currently trying to get her pension etc sent direct to her bank account and set up internet banking for her, so she can use it when in Oz ( I am hoping she will stay for 2-3 months). The question is can you use an English Visa Delta card out there to pay for things? It is not a credit card, but one that debits straight from your account.

Thank God she has cheered me up this weekend after the house sale saga. Let's hope it is all good news now!
Hi

I didn't use ours in any shops but withdrew money from a cashpoint with no problems. Scary though, as it gave me my overdraft balance in dollars!!!

Dawn
Old Oct 19th 2003, 4:22 pm
Badge

Default Re: Using Visa/Delta cards in Oz

No probs.

Used my VISA debit card all year and never paid any commission - apart from on cash withdrawals on the transaction, not the amount IIRC. Keep them large and infrequent.

Badge

Old Oct 19th 2003, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Thanks guys, this sort of information is invaluable.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 11:30 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

You do not pay a commission but you do not get a preferable exchange rate. That is where the banks make the cash on international visa purchases.