Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Using UK digital TVs in Australia

Using UK digital TVs in Australia

Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:30 am
Just Joined

kggerbills is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using UK digital TVs in Australia

Can anyone out there let me know if it is worthwhile taking our two digial Tv set to Oz and can we pick up the Australia Pal signal and programmes there. Thanks...Keith
Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:12 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using UK digital TVs in Australia

Originally Posted by kggerbills
Can anyone out there let me know if it is worthwhile taking our two digial Tv set to Oz and can we pick up the Australia Pal signal and programmes there. Thanks...Keith
Yes bring them. Not 100% sure whether you will get signal or not. Depends on age and brand. If not a STB will cost about $50
Old Nov 17th 2008, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Different digital wavelength used in Aus
Old Nov 17th 2008, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Thank you for you kind reply to my question re taking TV to Oz. To be on the safge side i'm just going to sell them off here in the UK and get a new set in Oz. Once again my thanks.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kggerbills
Thank you for you kind reply to my question re taking TV to Oz. To be on the safge side i'm just going to sell them off here in the UK and get a new set in Oz. Once again my thanks.

No need - take them. You'll spend far more on new sets than you will on the money you get for the two old ones, and while they will not work on terrestrial TV, you'll no doubt end up getting Foxtel - in which case they will work fine. Or even if you do not, get a digital tuner/recorder or even an Aus VCR and use that as the tuner and your TV's will work perfectly.

It would be an enormous waste of money to sell here in the UK unless you wish to save on shipping costs).
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Ok friend, Done. I'll do what you suggest definately. Yes if i could save alittle here and there would be fine. Thanks once again. Keith
Old Nov 17th 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by slipshot
No need - take them. You'll spend far more on new sets than you will on the money you get for the two old ones, and while they will not work on terrestrial TV, you'll no doubt end up getting Foxtel - in which case they will work fine. Or even if you do not, get a digital tuner/recorder or even an Aus VCR and use that as the tuner and your TV's will work perfectly.

It would be an enormous waste of money to sell here in the UK unless you wish to save on shipping costs).
Depends on the TV, we have a Sony Bravia KDL40v3000 that came from the UK and works fine on terrestrial channels and even has the epg. Only thing it doesn't work with is the HD channels but then not even all the Aussie ones do!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:33 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rossi
Different digital wavelength used in Aus
This can be overcome by many sets. I;ve told my Pioneer it now lives in Germany and it works fine.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by EvannTel
This can be overcome by many sets. I;ve told my Pioneer it now lives in Germany and it works fine.

Not really something that can 'be overcome'. More something the TV was either built with or not.

Simply put, many TV's are made for a global market, and thus have all tuners for different countries built-in, thus if you know what to do (and it is not that hard), and have the instruction booklet of the TV, you can see if your;s has the ability to be changed. If it does, then there's every chance it will work fine.

If it does not, then it can still be used but by using a different tuner - as suggested above.

The TV's location in the world is irrelevant - it is just if the country it is in and it's own tuner are compatible.

Many or most modern TV's have this ability - but not all. Thus you need to check your own TV.

Bottom line is I would always suggest taking your TV, since it will work somehow. That's cheaper than trying to sell it and then buying a new one on arrival.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:39 am
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by slipshot
Not really something that can 'be overcome'. More something the TV was either built with or not.

Simply put, many TV's are made for a global market, and thus have all tuners for different countries built-in, thus if you know what to do (and it is not that hard), and have the instruction booklet of the TV, you can see if your;s has the ability to be changed. If it does, then there's every chance it will work fine.

If it does not, then it can still be used but by using a different tuner - as suggested above.

The TV's location in the world is irrelevant - it is just if the country it is in and it's own tuner are compatible.

Many or most modern TV's have this ability - but not all. Thus you need to check your own TV.

Bottom line is I would always suggest taking your TV, since it will work somehow. That's cheaper than trying to sell it and then buying a new one on arrival.
Exactly what I said i my first reply in post #2 (in less words)!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Jetfixer is an unknown quantity at this point

My Pioneer DVD recorder and LG LCD TV do not work 100% here in OZ. I cannot receive SBS digital on channel 36 on both units plus I am unable to set the clocks correctly as I cannot shift the time zone in the menu far enough from Europe, ( I can only assume the clock signal is transmitted in UTC).
I spoke to LG this morning they told me that they could not update the software to fix these problems as the tuner is different. I don't believe them. Software is set to PAL B/G Germany at the moment.

Can anybody enlighten me further.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:29 am
Devil's Advocate

Ok

What is model of Pio DVD and LG LCD?

For Pio (assuming same as my plasma's) for analogue signals there shouldn't be country selection. PAL system B/G is correct on my Pio for all anaolgue channels (Perth and Country WA). The digital tuner (non HD) I just set that to Germany and retuned - picked all Perth dig channels.

Clocks I have set manually as opposed to the auto link function.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Jetfixer is an unknown quantity at this point

My LG is kind of dumb using country to select both analogue and digital tuners. The clock setting is greyed out in 'Germany' mode. The tuner problem only afffects channel 36.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:07 pm
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by Jetfixer
My LG is kind of dumb using country to select both analogue and digital tuners. The clock setting is greyed out in 'Germany' mode. The tuner problem only afffects channel 36.
Hmm sounds weird. I have a Toshiba LCD that I got going on analogue but on digital setting to Germnay (or any other country) wouldnt work.