Reload this Page >

Using laptop on plane

Using laptop on plane

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

akqjt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Using laptop on plane

Originally Posted by Louise M
Sorry am a bit thick on the IT front but can anyone tell me what I need to buy to use my laptop on the plane? Will be flying with Singapore airlines.
Thanks in advance.
Lou
Go to:
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Sin...nformation.php

Select the aircraft you'll be flying on. From there you will be able to see whether the cabin you're flying in will have a plug where you can in plug your power adapter. You'll also want to check out:

http://www.seatguru.com/articles/in-...ptop_power.php

... for detailed information regarding laptop power adapters for planes.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louise M
Sorry am a bit thick on the IT front but can anyone tell me what I need to buy to use my laptop on the plane? Will be flying with Singapore airlines.
Thanks in advance.
Lou
From Singapore Airlines' website:

Inflight Broadband

Inflight broadband internet is now available in every class, in every seat, connecting you to the world, allowing you to access emails and surf the Internet at 35,000 feet above ground!

ABOUT THE SERVICE

Since early 2005, SIA is amongst the first carriers to offer real-time, high speed in-flight connectivity service to its passengers. Passengers using this service onboard Connexion by Boeing® equipped aircraft will be able to send and receive emails, connect real-time to their corporate virtual private networks and surf the Internet via their own wireless-enabled (802.11 a/b/g) laptops.

SERVICE AVAILIBILITY ON SIA FLIGHTS

Wireless inflight broadband is now available on all flights between Singapore and London, selected Singapore-Frankfurt-New York (SQ25 and SQ26) flights and selected flights between Singapore and Sydney. From 24 May 06, Connexion by Boeing® will also be available on Singapore-Hong Kong-San Francisco and Singapore-Hong Kong (SQ 865/866) flights. The service is subject to operational availability of aircraft installed with Connexion By Boeing® and will be progressively available on selected flights between Singapore and Continental Europe and between Singapore and USA.

PRICING

Four price options, charged according to block time usage from time of login, have been offered by Connexion by Boeing® for SIA passengers. They are:

Internet Block Time Rate 1 hour US$9.95</B> 2 hours US$14.95</B> 3 hours US$17.95</B> 24 hours US$26.95</B>

Inflight Power Supply

Our Inflight power supply system means you can work or play on your laptop computer while you travel.
  • 110 V AC in-seat power supply system
    Our 110 V AC in-seat power supply system lets you stay connected to your favourite software, games, and music from your laptop for the entire flight. Singapore Airlines offers in-seat power supply systems in First Class and Raffles Class seats on all B747-400 and selected B777-200 Extended Range aircraft. In-seat power supply system is also available on Raffles Class and Executive Economy seats on all A340-500s.
    The 110 V AC system supports Australian 2/3-pin, European 2-pin, Japanese 2/3-pin, and US 2/3-pin plugs. An adaptor is required for plugs that are not compatible with the system and it can be purchased from KrisShop on board or via mail order.
  • 15 V DC in-seat power supply system
    The 15 V DC in-seat power supply system requires a different adaptor for its use. This is available in KrisShop onboard and it supports various models of laptops from IBM, Toshiba, and Compaq.
    For safety reasons and to avoid damage to the laptop, users are advised to remove the battery before using the system and to disconnect their laptops from the system when installing peripherals to their laptops. Charging batteries is strictly prohibited.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
American, United and Air NZ are OK - used my battery operated laptop (Apple) with them last month.
god I hope we can take ours on Malaysian. about to buy one soon. went to PC world today, but all they had mostly in our price range was advent ones. prefer Toshiba. its end of their sale and hope they restock new models soon. aiming to claim back VAT too.
have a toddler and hope to make use of the laptop for an hour at least to calm her down.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpa34
god I hope we can take ours on Malaysian. about to buy one soon. went to PC world today, but all they had mostly in our price range was advent ones. prefer Toshiba. its end of their sale and hope they restock new models soon. aiming to claim back VAT too.
have a toddler and hope to make use of the laptop for an hour at least to calm her down.
Forget PC World, go to www.dmxdimension.com and find a good priced Dell. Far better than the rubbish offered by the afore mentioned
Old Sep 24th 2006, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Forget PC World, go to www.dmxdimension.com and find a good priced Dell. Far better than the rubbish offered by the afore mentioned
cheers for that and do you know if they will do the necessary paperwork for VAT claim back? Thats the only reason we were considering PC World.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
I wouldn't buy a Dell if it was the last laptop on earth but that is just me