Using an agency

Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

SteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud of
Default Using an agency

Ay up, me again. Hope everyone is well. I've seen the fires on the news so hope everyone is safe etc.

Anyhow, I'm still getting myself psyched up to head out to Oz. I've been doing my own research and working out costs but at the same time I'm in contact with a travel agency who will set me up a bank account, tax number, a weeks worth of accommodation and even a job interview (at the last call she said there were 800 jobs on their database - all Sydney). They'll even sort a visa out (this is no extra cost than it would be doing it myself, just less hassle).

Anyway, my main question is whether it's easier to do it alone, or use an agency? And if anyone has used an agency, what was your experience(s)?

As ever, any reply is much appreciated.

Matt.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

The Elk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Using an agency

I'm just starting the process myself and would be very interested in contacting an agency if you could pass on the name of the one you're using.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:49 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteelCityBrickie
Ay up, me again. Hope everyone is well. I've seen the fires on the news so hope everyone is safe etc.

Anyhow, I'm still getting myself psyched up to head out to Oz. I've been doing my own research and working out costs but at the same time I'm in contact with a travel agency who will set me up a bank account, tax number, a weeks worth of accommodation and even a job interview (at the last call she said there were 800 jobs on their database - all Sydney). They'll even sort a visa out (this is no extra cost than it would be doing it myself, just less hassle).

Anyway, my main question is whether it's easier to do it alone, or use an agency? And if anyone has used an agency, what was your experience(s)?

As ever, any reply is much appreciated.

Matt.
Hi Matt,

Are you still planning on coming on a WHV?
Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

SteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud of

Yes mate. WHV is £300-350 depending on exchange rate.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Elk
I'm just starting the process myself and would be very interested in contacting an agency if you could pass on the name of the one you're using.

Ay up Elk.

The one I'm dealing with is 'GAP 360'. For £300 you get the bank account thingy I mentioned above or for £600 you get a week of social activities; a 'get to know you' session if you will. I'll go to a pub and chat with anyone anyway, I aint paying £600 for the privelige.

What's your profession? Age etc? (If you don't mind me asking).
Old Oct 21st 2013, 9:05 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I don't need a WHV - I was asking to figure out what's the best advice on using the agency.

Bank accounts can be applied for online before coming - you would have to do security on arrival though. If you are near London, it's possible to open an account there and do security checks and have bank cards before leaving the UK (I did this with Westpac)

Information on obtaining a TFN here - http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Ta...ing-for-a-TFN/

Temporary accommodation can be found with websites such as Airbnb, Stayz, Homeaway and similar

For jobs you can try SEEK or similar
Old Oct 21st 2013, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

I'll look at those links later this week when I've got some time spare. I have actually got some bank account forms somewhere. I must've applied for em somewhere down the line but no idea when or where from. I doubt I'd be able to use em now mind as they're from about 5 years ago when I first started looking at going over (before a brain haemorrhage put paid to those plans).

The agency woman says I'd need about £3500-4000 (after paying their fees and a visa, a flight is £600-700 so I'm a few quid off yet, although I'd get paid weekly (apparently) so I wouldn't be too bad).

I just don't know if they'd say "well you're here now, cheerio" and leave me to my own devices. I sound naïve there but it's a huge move as you will clearly know yourself.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 9:18 pm

I'll look at those links later this week when I've got some time spare. I have actually got some bank account forms somewhere. I must've applied for em somewhere down the line but no idea when or where from. I doubt I'd be able to use em now mind as they're from about 5 years ago when I first started looking at going over (before a brain haemorrhage put paid to those plans).

The agency woman says I'd need about £3500-4000 (after paying their fees and a visa, a flight is £600-700 so I'm a few quid off yet, although I'd get paid weekly (apparently) so I wouldn't be too bad).

I just don't know if they'd say "well you're here now, cheerio" and leave me to my own devices. I sound naïve there but it's a huge move as you will clearly know yourself.
Given that you have time to sort things out - I would do some more research before committing up to £4k that you don't currently have.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

The 4k isn't a standard figure. That's just what I want to allow myself to be able to have a little bit of time to find work/accommodation as oppose to rushing and panicking.

I could go now but live on bread and jam.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

You can't apply for a TFN till you're in Australia. It's just a quick online form x