Reload this Page >

Urgently need advice re Lupus,Medicals & visa

Urgently need advice re Lupus,Medicals & visa

Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Waiting4Visa is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Urgently need advice re Lupus,Medicals & visa

Hi

I am a lurker - find your advice invaluable on all subjects and have managed this far without having to personally post but have a possible major problem!

Our visa application - skilled - going on my husbands qualification with me as a housewife, were officially recognised as being received in oz at the end of July last year. We front loaded our medicals and sent off before xmas and received the request for them in the middle of january.

We are still waiting for our visas although we were told we should have received them by now so are worrying about that too!

I have recently been told by the docs that I probably have lupus - probably had it for nearly 10 years as had lots of medical problems but my white blood cell count is very low now as well! They want me to go and have further tests to confirm the diagnosis.

We are soooo near getting our visas that I am really worried about this. If I do have lupus do I have to inform anyone at the DIMIA (or whatever it is now!) that I have this? I have not held anything back in my medical forms - told everything and was told all was fine by the panel doc.

I was told by the rheumatologist that the best rheumatolgists in the world were in Australia and that was the best place to get treatment if need be. Also with the alternative therapy being so good and more accepted over there I would prefer to go that way rather than conventional medicine, if possible.

If it was going to be a major issue and cause major problems with the DIMIA I would wait and get referred/whatever in Australia - not sure how you start all this again with a new doc without letting them know that you knew that there could be a problem mind you!

I am trying not to get stressed and worry so much - the threat of Lupus diagnosis is bad enough - but we have spent the last 2 years planning, remortgaging to pay for the visas etc and are so close now. If we get the visas in the next couple of weeks we are planning to sell up and be in Oz by June at the latest

I know my health comes first but this cold weather is making my health so much worse and this move is for my whole family and will benefit all of us. I can be treated by my herbalist - unofficially - for anything I need to, and have been for years successfully, so can wait for any major treatment (I feel) for a few months yet.

Any advice gratefully received!

Elly
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

GracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really nice
Default Re: Urgently need advice re Lupus,Medicals & visa

I'm interested in this too (I have discoid lupus thankfully not SLE). I did a quick search on the forum for lupus and found a few similar threads, however there wasn't any definite answer to show whether anyone had got through. The best I could find was bex66 who's husband had suspected renal lupus, I don't know whether this was confirmed or not, but according to her profile she's now in Perth (maybe you can pm her to ask).

I suppose it's a bit of a dilemma isn't it cos I think you're meant to tell them if there are any changes in circumstances. But then if it isn't confirmed before you get the visa then what would be the difference if you hadn't known now and were diagnosed in australia at a later time? Although saying that if you've had it for 10 years and you passed the medicals then I'm guessing it's not too severe otherwise the panel doctor would have picked up on it from your bloods.

Also if it is lupus then it's important to ensure that it's kept under control. Under control it's not a very expensive condition to treat (and it tends to be chronic so it'll come and go) however if it gets out of control you could in the worst case get organ failure.

Sorry I haven't really said anything to definitively help!!

Last edited by GracieK; Feb 16th 2007 at 8:07 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:58 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you would have to inform DIAC of any change in circumstance, including a diagnosis of lupus. There is a form (1011 I believe) specifically for changes in circumstances. It is a tricky one to start the process here of getting diagnosed, because like you said you would have to tell the doctors here that you underwent the tests there. It *could* be construed as not being honest in your application which in the big picture could be looked upon unfavourably by DIAC.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all

Hi Elly,

Which kind of lupus? I expect SLE could potentially cause more problems. I think the previous poster is correct in stating honesty is the best rule of thumb. It would be awful to get here and then be told you have been fraudulent etc.

Really hope you feel better soon. Let us know how you get on. Easily said I know- but try not to freak out as that could trigger more problems

Best wishes

Wren
Old Feb 17th 2007, 2:11 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

My mom has SLE she is always poorly I wish I could magic it away for her but I can't. The docs over here don't seem to help her in any way and it is so frustrating! I hope you are ok and that it isn't lupus. Take care hun x