Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Urgent Sydney suburb advice

Urgent Sydney suburb advice

Old May 2nd 2007, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Urgent Sydney suburb advice

Originally Posted by chels
Hello stranger(s) - we were wondering what had happened to you after the night out in the CBD
Hi Chels, We'll be along again in a couple of weeks or so, us oldies take a bit longer to recover
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yanH
I think the upper North Shore would probably be better than Castle Hill if you are going to work in North Sydney. Castle Hill doesn't have a rail line and so commuting to North Sydney by car would not be good Whereas the Upper North Shore has a regular train service to North Sydney (around 40 mins from Berowra). We live in Wahroonga (on the North Shore line) and my Office is in North Sydney and I've found it to be a good location. Feel free to PM if you have any more questions.

With the new Lane Cove tunnel you are looking at about 30-40 mins travelling time from Castle Hill to North Sydney. You do however have tolls to pay on the M2 and in the Tunnel!!!

Rudi
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Try the northern line suburbs for sub $500 per week rentals. For example:

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...x?adid=4146381

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...x?adid=5261751

The northern suburbs offer good value for money, in my opinion, as you can still access transport to the CBD, retain that "bush/semi-rural" feel and are close to good schools etc. Hutch is right on with the Turramurra area too, as it's leafy and green in parts, and also has the benefit of a rail line.

I love the Hills, but you do need to be prepared to catch a bus, drive or drive to a nearby railway line for city access. I don't mind the bus or driving (especially since the installation of the terrific Lane Cove tunnel) too much but each to their own. Good luck with the search and the new job offer
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Matt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your responses guys, they have been post helpful

I like the look of North Curl Curl as the school looks to be somewhere close to what my daighter is used to here where we live in the sticks in the UK.

Just found out I have to pay for schooling whilst on a working visa though......

Also, property to rent looks like it is very hard to come by at a reasonable price in NCC,

I also like the look of Queenscliff but

a) I dont know if that will be too close to Sydney (we are from a very rural area in the UK) and being to close to a big city might be too much of a big move for us
b) If there is a decent school

Thanks

Matt
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

What type of schooling are you wanting- public (free and funded by the govt) or private? (fees range anywhere from $3K p/a up)
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

nufc is an unknown quantity at this point

bare in mind that north cc , is only 5 mins drive form queenscliff, harbord, and dwy, so you dont have be in ncc as such, our son goes to ncc school its a great school and area around any of theses surberbs, all close 2gether
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

As I understand it, on a 457, I still need to pay if it is a state school

Is that correct?

I dont think I would be able to pay for private with my starting salary

I really like the look of the North Curl Curl School

Matt
Old May 6th 2007, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

I've been looking at Oyster Bay, anyone got any ideas what its like to live there?

What are the schools like?

Thanks

Matt
Old May 7th 2007, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Matt
As I understand it, on a 457, I still need to pay if it is a state school

Is that correct?

I dont think I would be able to pay for private with my starting salary

I really like the look of the North Curl Curl School

Matt
Yes Matt that is right. On a 457 visa in NSW you have to pay $4500 dollars a year per child to attend public school (it might be a little bit more in years 9,10,11 and 12). On top of this you are still expected to pay the contributions which can be up to about $1000 dollars for the year including trips, sports textbooks etc. Also any transport that you might need to school will be at your own expense (buses and trains are free for permanent residents).
Old May 7th 2007, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks

Do you know if fees are paid monthly, quarterly or annually?

Thanks

Matt
Old May 7th 2007, 9:22 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Thanks

Matt
We had to pay ours annually, we had to pay 9000 when they started in May and those fees lasted for a year till the next May. My daughters primary did not let her start until the department of education confirmed they had the money. My sons school let him start the next day.

We then got a refund when we became PR the following year for the part period of the year remaining.

You might be able to discuss with your company about the fees being included as part of your LAFHA. This means you can reduce your tax liability which could be as much as 46.5% if you are earning over $150K

Cheers
Old May 8th 2007, 12:10 am
Banned

Timmmaaahhhh is an unknown quantity at this point

North Shore would be perfect. Bit expensive in and around Manly - for $500/wk, suggest you move out a bit, towards Frenchs Forest etc. Only 30 mins into town on bus, very rural etc. Plus you're only 10 mins from beach
Old May 8th 2007, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

HeatherandTim is an unknown quantity at this point

Just want to add my bit to this thread. We live in Frenchs Forest and its a great location. Bushy, quiet yet 10 mins to Manly & Dee Why for great restaurants or beach. I find it safe and a good central location. There are Buses to city but not alot to North Sydney. Driving to North Sydney takes about 25mins. The nice thing about this area is that you are still part of the beach culture. If you go over the Roseville bridge or as far as St Ives then you probably wont go to the beach alot. And one of the great things about living here is going to the beach or at least seeing the beaches on alot of occasions, esp if you have children. Hope that helps.
Old May 8th 2007, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

SydneySwede has a spectacular aura aboutSydneySwede has a spectacular aura aboutSydneySwede has a spectacular aura about

I've been looking at Oyster Bay, anyone got any ideas what its like to live there?

What are the schools like?

Thanks

Matt
My OH is from Oyster Bay and we live in Engadine which is about 20 min away. Oyster Bay is green and leefy; beautiful Como is down the road with a nice marina, a few cafees, a good Thai and several sport teams.
Oyster Bay is not a happening place but Cronulla is about 20 min drive away and there you find lots of restaurants, pubs, clubs, shopping, beach etc.
Commuting from Sutherland or Jannali is ok, about 45 min to CBD. Don't know much about schools. There is a primary school in Oyster Bay and then you'd go to Jannali or Gymea High school I think.
I am very happy in "the Shire"
Old May 8th 2007, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks

Thanks

Matt
As Sandra said fees are paid annually in advance, and run for exactly a year from the day you pay. Also first time around there is an admin fee of $110 per child. Both of our schools said they were unable to let the children start school until they had received notification from the education department that we had paid. I think that took about a week from sending the forms.