Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Urgent - International call charges

Urgent - International call charges

Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Urgent - International call charges

My husband is trying to persuade his company to let him work from Oz, so I'm trying to estimate additional (if any) telephone call costs.

Who, besides Telstra, provides (fixed) call services?

Any useful links to tariffs (just about to google)?

Urgent, because he's just told me now that he needs this by tomorrow!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:00 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Urgent - International call charges

If you have ADSL, get VOIP with someone like engin for $19.95 per month including all UK calls.

http://www.engin.com.au/Voip/Voip.aspx

Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:03 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
My husband is trying to persuade his company to let him work from Oz, so I'm trying to estimate additional (if any) telephone call costs.

Who, besides Telstra, provides (fixed) call services?

Any useful links to tariffs (just about to google)?

Urgent, because he's just told me now that he needs this by tomorrow!
Do you mean calls back to the UK, or calls within Australia?

Skype and other VOIP systems have reduced the massive margins that telcos used to make on overseas calls. I often work in the Australian telco space,- (consulted to Optus, Telstra, AAPT and Vodafone),

There are a lot of cheaper 3rd tier startup telcos that provide very cheap calls to the Uk by routing dial in services to VOIP (voice over internet protocols)

Some are fixed, some are mobile. I use Lebara mobile and Veetel fixed lines.

Lebara mobile charges to the UK from a Mobile in Australia (Vodafone network) are Landline $0.05 /min, Mobile $0.19 /min

http://www.lebara-mobile.com.au/en/index.php

Veetel fixed line charges to the UK are: Landline: $0.055, Weekend: $0.055, Mobile: $0.396

http://www.veetel.com.au/

I also use Skype, which is even cheaper to some countries.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

We have the Telstra international package which costs $10/month (with $10 inclusive calls) and costs 2c/min to the UK - I think there is a 39c connection charge per call too.