Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Urgent, hijack alert

Urgent, hijack alert

Old Apr 4th 2004, 6:49 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Urgent, spyware alert

Hi All,
Can anybody help, searchlight.com keeps on hijacking my searches. Bit by bit it is reducing my access to various websites. What happens is that I type the address I want or click a link from a google page or any web page and it puts itself in front of the address I want (see below)

http://www.searchlight.comhttp://bri...newthread.php?

and redirects the page to searchlight. Once it has done this any further attempts to visit my chosen web address is hijacked, it has now started hijacking links to various threads on this site and I fear that I may soon not be able to visit this site.

Any suggestions will be most gratefully recieved.
I have tried adjusting the settings
Disabling cookies
Disabling activex sripting, plugins etc
I haave evn pit a block on that web address but no dice.

Please, Please, Please help if you can.

Thank you ACE

Last edited by ACE; Apr 4th 2004 at 10:10 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

CrazyCanuck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Urgent, hijack alert

Sounds like you might have some "spyware" on your computer. The free program I use to rid my computer of this stuff is Ad-Aware, from http://www.lavasoft.de/. I'm sure a lot of the other products are good as well, but I've only used Ad-Aware. It's effective.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 7:12 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

another one

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=spybotsd

failing that may need to edit the registry
Old Apr 4th 2004, 7:48 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thank you

Thanks very much guys, i'll try both.

Is there anyway to prevent this problem from happening again?

Kind Regards
ACE
Old Apr 4th 2004, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

ace not appearing to be nasty but many of us are flying soon, there must have been a better way of phrasing what you had to say, after all the latest attacks we are scared enough

arlene
Old Apr 4th 2004, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

CrazyCanuck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thank you

> Is there anyway to prevent this problem from happening again?

First make sure one of these programs makes the problem go away. If you remember how you got hooked up with that annoying problem, then avoid that site again. Otherwise, once Ad-Aware is installed on your computer, it is easy to run again, if need be.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 10:08 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Default Sorry

Originally posted by arlene
ace not appearing to be nasty but many of us are flying soon, there must have been a better way of phrasing what you had to say, after all the latest attacks we are scared enough

arlene
You are quite right, I'm very sorry I didn't see it that way. The term is used quite often in computing. I am very sorry for any distress I may have caused to anyone, it was thoughtless of me please accept my apologies, I will try and edit the title of the post.

Kind regards
ACE

Last edited by ACE; Apr 4th 2004 at 11:13 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sorry

Originally posted by ACE
You are quite right, I'm very sorry I didn't see it that way. The term is used quite often in computing. I am very sorry for any distress I may have caused to anyone, it was thoughtless of me please accept my apologies, I will try and edit the title of the post.

Kind regards
ACE

Ace

You might want to check the registry. Backup the registry before making changes.

Look in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl

and make sure it hasn't been set to anything unpleasant.

There may be other keys set so if you find a string in that key search the rest of the registry and get shot of it..

Note. Axe, don't want to teach you to suck eggs but the registry is a great place to stuff things up so be careful when deleting values. :lecture:
Old Apr 5th 2004, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by arlene

arlene
Crikey, had me worried for a minute too. My husband is in the air on a 747 as I type this, on his way home from a trip back to Blighty. It's bad enough I jump every time the phone rings.......and when he sent me a text message it got the old heart going a bit (he NEVER texts me normally).
Old Apr 5th 2004, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

unrefined_mind is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Urgent, spyware alert

Hi Ace
I had a similar problem as you on one of our company computers.
If you are still having problems with hijacked homepage, searches etc, Download a small piece of software called CWShredder 1.53

It can be downloaded from
Here

Scroll down to 'Official downloads' section you will find it there, and dont worry - the download is perfectly safe and virus free.

Hope this works
UM
Old Apr 5th 2004, 3:11 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Nibbs and UM, will try both as previous advice didn't work.

Even disallowing the URL in the privacy settings didn't work.

If all else fails I thought of using a Java program I wrote at Uni to decipher the flashlightsearch url and writing an access control instruction to deny all transmissions with their ip address. Does this sound feasible?

Thanks guys
ACE
Old Apr 5th 2004, 9:52 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: Sorry

Originally posted by Nibbs
Ace

You might want to check the registry. Backup the registry before making changes.

Look in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl

and make sure it hasn't been set to anything unpleasant.

There may be other keys set so if you find a string in that key search the rest of the registry and get shot of it..

Note. Ace, don't want to teach you to suck eggs but the registry is a great place to stuff things up so be careful when deleting values. :lecture:
Hi Nibbs,
I had a look in the registry editor. There are various hexidecimal values in there but I don't really know if there is a problem because I'm not sure what they should be. Any tips?

thanks again
ACE
Old Apr 5th 2004, 10:19 pm
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

I had the same problem, with browswer hijackers, to get rid of them download a trial version of Spy Sweeper , very good program.

http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/spysweeper/index.php

jib
Old Apr 6th 2004, 9:30 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by jib
I had the same problem, with browswer hijackers, to get rid of them download a trial version of Spy Sweeper , very good program.

http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/spysweeper/index.php

jib
You guys are life savers, thanks for all your suggestions.
Nice one Jib, spy sweeper did the trick.

Now I can get back to looking after my little ones, studying for my finals and doing some serious surfing

Kind Regards
ACE