Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Urgent help needed on Perth

Urgent help needed on Perth

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Urgent help needed on Perth

Hi Guys.
I havent posted for a while as we have simply been so busy since the move. However, we moved and have settled into Sydney and love it. The problem is there is a serious chance that i will be made redundant soon and am on a 457 - Big problem. However, i have found a alternative job and its great and everything i could wish. The problem is it is in Perth. So what is Perth like. We are scared it will be like England with sunshine which we would not want. Is it big enough, does it have a good art scene, (thats VERY important to OH). Oh, and dont want to put the pressue on, but i have to decide in the next two hours!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 11:42 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent help needed on Perth

Originally Posted by verystormy
Hi Guys.
I havent posted for a while as we have simply been so busy since the move. However, we moved and have settled into Sydney and love it. The problem is there is a serious chance that i will be made redundant soon and am on a 457 - Big problem. However, i have found a alternative job and its great and everything i could wish. The problem is it is in Perth. So what is Perth like. We are scared it will be like England with sunshine which we would not want. Is it big enough, does it have a good art scene, (thats VERY important to OH). Oh, and dont want to put the pressue on, but i have to decide in the next two hours!
There has been so much written on Perth on here. Do a search on what it is you want to know and I'm sure you will find dozens of threads. Be warned that they usually end up heated, as Perth has a real love-it or hate-it to it.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

it definitely isnt england with sunshine
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:04 am
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of
Post Re: Urgent help needed on Perth

It might not be england with sunshine but there is alot of english people living here and i mean alot (in a nice way )
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:10 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by verystormy
Hi Guys.
Compared to Sydney Perth is deadmeat...

It's nice, like having a nice grandma.

And it's nothing like UK.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:57 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

For me the reason I would never settle in Perth is the isolation. (I have a cousin who recently moved to Perth, and left after four months because she felt too far away from everything.)

It depends how important that is going to be to you.

I don't know much about the Perth art scene, but I'm guessing that is an area that is starting to develop - as it is in East Coast cities. Just don't expect something of the standard of London - after all, all the National Galleries are in Canberra. I do know the West Australian Ballet is an interesting company that is really starting to come along - they are now putting on major full-length works and are bringing in interesting people from overseas.

A massive proportion of British immigrants head to Perth, so it must have something that appeals to people arriving from that corner of the world.

In the end there's not THAT much of a difference between Australia's coastal cities. I just think that Perth is a little bit too far away from anywhere else.

Last edited by SNH; Sep 4th 2008 at 2:13 am.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Georgina H will become famous soon enoughGeorgina H will become famous soon enough

Perth is a beautiful city, which like anywhere in the world, is not for everyone.

We have been living here for 6 months and we absolutely love it, we are young couple with no children and we have made wonderful friends here and have an excellent social life. In my opinion I can't fault Perth at all.

Give it a chance, you won't know until you try it, you can't really base an opinion on what other people say. If you don't like it then move somewhere else.

But keep in mind that most people who live here absolutely adore it!!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:25 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

A small selection of the art scene in Perth - it's there if you look for it !

http://www.artgallery.wa.gov.au/exhi...8amend_003.pdf
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:47 am
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

With regards to an art scene in Perth, I would say Fremantle would be a better area, it's more bohemian and has various writers, musicians, artists, galleries etc. Perth city itself, although clean and beautiful can get abit bland.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

In the end there's not THAT much of a difference between Australia's coastal cities. I just think that Perth is a little bit too far away from anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

The coastal cities are completely different, including the climate, the styles of the cities, and what they have to offer!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for everything guys. Well i made the decision and we are off to Perth on the 2nd October. Will miss Sydney, but as someone said when i was debating the mertis, "Sydney will always be there".
The reason for the move is that since we arrived in Oz, my job has changed a LOT, (and not for the better) due to the company having serious financial problems and there is a real chance of redundancy, so given the issues with 457 visa, decided to act now.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

You will love it here, we do. We will have been here a year on 2nd October and have never looked back!!

Sarah.