Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Urgent CV advice please?!

Urgent CV advice please?!

Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

wits end will become famous soon enough
Question Urgent CV advice please?!

Help! I am looking to go back to work after being a full time mum for 9 years. Now here’s the problem, what do I put on my CV for this 9 year gap? Do I just leave it at 2003 with my last job details? Do I say full time mum? Or do I just explain the 9 year gap in my covering letter? Or even wait for an interview and explain? Just don’t know what to do for the best and am concerned they’ll dismiss me before I even get to an interview if I don’t say something (I’m a secretary if that makes any difference?). I’d really appreciate any advice!

Many thanks as always!
Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Shot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really nice
Default Re: Urgent CV advice please?!

on my CV i have a personal profile right at the top, so if i was you i would put in something like...

after spending may years working as a secretary for...... i decided to take a career break and spend time with family and friends,i also managed to travel around the world and experience many different coulters and meets lots of people, during this time my husband and i had our child...now that my child is well settled into school and I have fulfilled my dreams and ambitions for life i have decided to get back into my career, and put to use my experience i have gained during this time....
blah blah....

dont tell fibs..just bend the truth

Last edited by Shot81; Jul 14th 2010 at 9:40 am.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shot81
what career where you in ?
secretary/PA
Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Shot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really nice

just edited my first post.... hope that helps...
Old Jul 14th 2010, 11:04 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

In this case maybe think of the emphasis on skills and experience and a small summary of places worked at the end.

Something like explained here...
Linkedin

...which I found by typing "non-chronological resume" into Google
Old Jul 14th 2010, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Big Galah
In this case maybe think of the emphasis on skills and experience and a small summary of places worked at the end.

Something like explained here...
Linkedin

...which I found by typing "non-chronological resume" into Google
Excellent thank you!
Old Jul 14th 2010, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

on my CV i have a personal profile right at the top, so if i was you i would put in something like...

after spending may years working as a secretary for...... i decided to take a career break and spend time with family and friends,i also managed to travel around the world and experience many different coulters and meets lots of people, during this time my husband and i had our child...now that my child is well settled into school and I have fulfilled my dreams and ambitions for life i have decided to get back into my career, and put to use my experience i have gained during this time....
blah blah....

Brilliant Shot81, thank you so much for taking the time to reply!
Old Jul 14th 2010, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Last year I had a 6 month contract, my first paid work in 11 years. I did study at uni during that time, so I had those details to add in. I was really worried about my CV too, but I added in a section on Community Links (things like volunteering at school canteen, carer for my MIL, local community work, etc) and Personal Attributes (organised, adaptable, etc). In my covering letter I had a couple of sentences about my "career break" and also talked about how my office skills had been kept up to date while I was studying, as I thought that an employer might be concerned that I didn't know the latest version of Word or Excel or whatever.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

blah blah....

Shot81 is right. Make sure something is there explaining it otherwise you won't get any interviews. Good luck!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by itxrd
Shot81 is right. Make sure something is there explaining it otherwise you won't get any interviews. Good luck!
Thanks so much, do appreciate everyone's help!