Reload this Page >

The urge to return home is growing stronger

The urge to return home is growing stronger

Old Jun 16th 2011, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

hurleygirlie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The urge to return home is growing stronger

Originally Posted by Mike-T
Thanks hurleygirlie for a very infomative post.

Groceries are mega expensive in Perth. Utilities are comparable to UK (so i've been told.) Petrol is around $1.35-$1.50/litre. Price changes all the time.
Petrol is £1.36 here!!!!!!
Groceries can be expensive or cheap depending where you shop.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:07 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The urge to return home is growing stronger

Originally Posted by hurleygirlie
people are quite ignorant to the rest of the country/or limited in their views. They think it is the beesknees - nothing wrong with this but it is a big world out there.
You will find this attitude in a lot of Australia too.

BB
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:08 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day England and the UK generally is still a wonderful vibrant place to live and there are still plenty of opportunities but just like here it is regional. It's quite frankly impossible to say what the future is going to be like in a year let alone generations from now. The way I look at it is that if it helps to think that Australia or indeed anywhere else will offer you more in the future that is fine, I see nothing to make me think the same though. Each country will give you what you want to put in.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
At the end of the day England and the UK generally is still a wonderful vibrant place to live and there are still plenty of opportunities but just like here it is regional. It's quite frankly impossible to say what the future is going to be like in a year let alone generations from now. The way I look at it is that if it helps to think that Australia or indeed anywhere else will offer you more in the future that is fine, I see nothing to make me think the same though. Each country will give you what you want to put in.
Great post... The point I take from this, is the kind of life you have is more to do with what kind of person you are, especially in comparatively wealthy countries like Aus and the UK. Leads me to another thought/question, I wonder how many migrants give serious consideration to a major lifestyle move/change within their own Country first before migrating... bearing in mind the probable economic regional difference factor.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:48 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Great post... The point I take from this, is the kind of life you have is more to do with what kind of person you are, especially in comparatively wealthy countries like Aus and the UK. Leads me to another thought/question, I wonder how many migrants give serious consideration to a major lifestyle move/change within their own Country first before migrating... bearing in mind the probable economic regional difference factor.
We had to be commutable to London or close to a major airport so for us it wasn't an option. Living in the South East for me is just too full on, too many people. Some people like that buzz but for me it is sheer hell. I would love a Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall existence but it wasn't possible at this time in our lives, who knows when the kids are older.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:02 am
Just Joined

hurleygirlie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
We feel that to make a change in our life here would throw up more questions from other people, and I don't think they would understand. Plus the fact we are 30 mins from the beach here, we have a nice house and lifestyle already. We just want a change - cultural, climate, and adventure. Moving somewhere in the UK is not as appealing
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:41 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hurleygirlie
What is the worst that can happen?
I remember using that very line before leaving for Australia. The worst was... I ****ing loathed the place !!

I took a good couple of years to get past those feelings.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 10:24 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
We had to be commutable to London or close to a major airport so for us it wasn't an option. Living in the South East for me is just too full on, too many people. Some people like that buzz but for me it is sheer hell. I would love a Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall existence but it wasn't possible at this time in our lives, who knows when the kids are older.
Really?
We were 30 mins from central London, maybe 45 by the time we got to the station, and were surrounded by fields, opens spaces, farms etc.
It was perfect, best of both worlds and if it wasn't for work I;d still be there now (and missing here!)
Old Jun 17th 2011, 10:26 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Really?
We were 30 mins from central London, maybe 45 by the time we got to the station, and were surrounded by fields, opens spaces, farms etc.
It was perfect, best of both worlds and if it wasn't for work I;d still be there now (and missing here!)
We were in Cambridgeshire and the major towns were far too busy for me. I had to leave a Tesco store last year whilst on holiday as I had a panic attack as it was too busy. Not good for my mental wellbeing. Where I lived was rural but you still have to venture into town for work or shopping. No thanks, will take my little area here which is far quieter.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 10:39 am
Just Joined

sanchachas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mike-T
G'day all

First time poster here. Just found out about this site after living in the Antipodes for 15 years.

Well, I have lived in Auckland for 7.5 years, and I have now lived in Perth for 7.5 years. I am married with 3 boys who are now 17, 14 and 12. We are now in a position where we could comfortably return to UK and be mortgage free. And it is very, very tempting. Currently in Perth, we have a huge mortgage, which we can easily afford to make the payments, but to be mortgage free is very appealing.

We have had 3 trips to UK as a family since we emigrated and each time we loved it and did not want to leave, (despite being told by friends that a trip "home" would make us realise how lucky we are living down here) but financially it was impossible to return home.

But now, we could easily do it. We are from Manchester, but don't intend returning there. I have been doing a fair bit of research on Norfolk/Suffolk. It sounds like a great place to live (never been there). Property prices seem very reasonable, kids seem to do well at school and crime rates are low compared to the national average. But, we don't know anybody in this area. Are we mad?

I have a successful business here in Perth. I work 6 hours a day Mon-Fri, no weekends, life is pretty good. But, I am becoming more and more English in my old age. England really is calling me home and the urge to return is getting stronger.

It'd be great to hear from anyone who has returned to UK (good and bad stories.)

So, are we mad, or shall we do it?
My husband and i have been here for 11 years and this year we are going home. We don't have a house here so just selling all that we do have and starting again. We do also have 3 kids that are very excited to be going and a big family there waiting for us. But if we did have a house here i think we would keep hold of it maybe rent it out and go back for a year see how it all feels then take it from there. You know how hard it is to set up and be happy here and we all go back to the UK thinking that we can and might very well want to come back to Oz, so just keep your options open. Good Luck with everything.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:12 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

We were in Cambridgeshire and the major towns were far too busy for me. I had to leave a Tesco store last year whilst on holiday as I had a panic attack as it was too busy. Not good for my mental wellbeing. Where I lived was rural but you still have to venture into town for work or shopping. No thanks, will take my little area here which is far quieter.
Hmm Interesting you find the city here less "claustrophobic". Just goes to show how its impossible to generalise or categorise whats what and who will like what
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:44 am
Gutter Gob!!

Hmm Interesting you find the city here less "claustrophobic". Just goes to show how its impossible to generalise or categorise whats what and who will like what
Nobody can argue that the countryside in the UK is spectacular. However, most of the time we spent was in towns and cities and this is where it ends for me. I don't go into the City here all that often but when I do I find it a much more pleasant experience than going into Peterborough! Like I said if I could live Hugh style in the Lakes then I would probably be a happy camper but not until the kids have buggered off and after we have done our coast to coast USA trip on a Harley
Old Jun 17th 2011, 12:02 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Living in Australia means space and more space, big sky, seeing the milky way on a crisp winter's night

Space to live, I f**king love it
Old Jun 17th 2011, 2:22 pm
Devil's Advocate

Nobody can argue that the countryside in the UK is spectacular. However, most of the time we spent was in towns and cities and this is where it ends for me. I don't go into the City here all that often but when I do I find it a much more pleasant experience than going into Peterborough! Like I said if I could live Hugh style in the Lakes then I would probably be a happy camper but not until the kids have buggered off and after we have done our coast to coast USA trip on a Harley
Peterborough! That explains it!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:02 pm

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

In hindsight,should not have moved for a number of reasons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.