Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Upper Coomera or Ormeau?

Upper Coomera or Ormeau?

Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

WILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud of
Question Upper Coomera or Ormeau?

Has anyone gone to Upper Coomera or Ormeau /North gold coast?
We are thinking of these areas, apparently Upper Coomera is a "Booming Suburb" at the moment and a great place to live. The house prices seem more reasonable aswell. Any help on these areas , school details etc would be so appreciated. Look forward to hearing from anyone . JaneXXX
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upper Coomera or Ormeau?

Originally Posted by WILKINSONS
We are thinking of these areas, apparently Upper Coomera is a "Booming Suburb" at the moment and a great place to live. The house prices seem more reasonable aswell. Any help on these areas , school details etc would be so appreciated. Look forward to hearing from anyone . JaneXXX
Hi Jane,

We are currently living in Upper Coomera and we are really happy here as it suits our needs. We have two kids age 7 and 14 and they both go to Upper Coomera State College.

The area is 'booming' at the moment, the school is taking on new enrolments every week. The house prices are pretty reasonable in comparison with places nearer to the coast.

I would say we are no more than 25 minutes away from loads of great places, Runaway Bay, Paradise Point, surfers, the mountains, and we have Coomera River on our doorstep which is where we put the boat in or go fishing.

Hubby works in Oxenford so that is only 5 mins away and I work up at Loganholme which is 20 minutes straight up the motorway.

I suppose it depends on your individual circumstances what you need specifically, but I would recommend either Upper Coomera or Ormeau. My daughter has friends at Ormeau and this has more of a rural feel with a lot of the houses being on larger plots of land, I think it is a really nice area.

Personally we needed to be within walking distance of a school where both of my kids could attend so that the eldest could take the youngest to and from school while I worked so that was initially the main reason we chose Upper Coomera. I didnt want them to have to rely on a bus, as I would have been too stressed about them not getting to and from school safely and on time.

If there is anything specific you need to know please ask.

Julia
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jane. We live in Ormeau at the new Jacobs Ridge Estate. Been here about 6 months after building our own home. We love it here, and the area is certainly going ahead. 2 new shopping centres in the pipeline at the moment. As Julia said in her post about Upper Coomera, you are never far from anthying, Gold Coast about 20 minutes (obviously depending on what part your going to), and Brisbane about 30-40 minutes (longer during peak hour). We don't have any kids so can't really comment on schools, but know there is a couple here in Ormeau.

If you need to know anything else, let me know.

Gina
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

WILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAYMAC
Hi Jane,

We are currently living in Upper Coomera and we are really happy here as it suits our needs. We have two kids age 7 and 14 and they both go to Upper Coomera State College.

The area is 'booming' at the moment, the school is taking on new enrolments every week. The house prices are pretty reasonable in comparison with places nearer to the coast.

I would say we are no more than 25 minutes away from loads of great places, Runaway Bay, Paradise Point, surfers, the mountains, and we have Coomera River on our doorstep which is where we put the boat in or go fishing.

Hubby works in Oxenford so that is only 5 mins away and I work up at Loganholme which is 20 minutes straight up the motorway.

I suppose it depends on your individual circumstances what you need specifically, but I would recommend either Upper Coomera or Ormeau. My daughter has friends at Ormeau and this has more of a rural feel with a lot of the houses being on larger plots of land, I think it is a really nice area.

Personally we needed to be within walking distance of a school where both of my kids could attend so that the eldest could take the youngest to and from school while I worked so that was initially the main reason we chose Upper Coomera. I didnt want them to have to rely on a bus, as I would have been too stressed about them not getting to and from school safely and on time.

If there is anything specific you need to know please ask.

Julia
Thank you so much for the information, I will do abit more homework. My eldest son is almost 19 and I need to look at areas for work. Obvoiusly my hubby already has a job. I will also look at the school in Ormeau. Is there a school bus from Ormeau to Upper Coomera? Thanks again Janexxx
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sassie
Hi Jane. We live in Ormeau at the new Jacobs Ridge Estate. Been here about 6 months after building our own home. We love it here, and the area is certainly going ahead. 2 new shopping centres in the pipeline at the moment. As Julia said in her post about Upper Coomera, you are never far from anthying, Gold Coast about 20 minutes (obviously depending on what part your going to), and Brisbane about 30-40 minutes (longer during peak hour). We don't have any kids so can't really comment on schools, but know there is a couple here in Ormeau.

If you need to know anything else, let me know.

Gina
Hello Gina thanks for the info. Ormeau seems a very nice place to live. My eldest son is almost 19 and I need to take into account him travelling to work. He hasn't got a job in Oz yet, my hubby has his job lined up,so do you think commuting from Ormeau would be a problem? Thanks again Janexxxxxxxx
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for the information, I will do abit more homework. My eldest son is almost 19 and I need to look at areas for work. Obvoiusly my hubby already has a job. I will also look at the school in Ormeau. Is there a school bus from Ormeau to Upper Coomera? Thanks again Janexxx
Yes there is

http://www.surfside.com.au/surfside_...eraCollege.htm

I'm not sure how much work there would be for your son - I guess it would depend on whether he has transport and what type of work he wants.

Can't help you with anything else, I am down the other end.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Gina thanks for the info. Ormeau seems a very nice place to live. My eldest son is almost 19 and I need to take into account him travelling to work. He hasn't got a job in Oz yet, my hubby has his job lined up,so do you think commuting from Ormeau would be a problem? Thanks again Janexxxxxxxx
Hi Jane. What sort of work will your son be looking for. I would imagine, he would have to travel to either Brisbane or Gold Coast. Ormeau is roughly 1/2 way between. Upper Coomera is slightly closer to Gold Coast and a little further from Brisbane. You say your husband already has a job, whereabouts will he be working?

Regards

Gina
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Upper Coomera or Ormeau?

Hello Gina,
My hubby has a job in Rocklea and he is prepared to travel. My son drives and will get a car straight away. He currently works in an office as a Buyer, and he thinks he would like to do the same kind of work. However he is also very open minded and would also consider going into building and property.
Is there much chance of local building work?
Speak to you soon
Janexxxx