Reload this Page >

Update on our move

Update on our move

Old May 26th 2004, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Update on our move

Hi Chaps,

I doubt that there will be many people on here that remember us, but we were thinking of moving to New Zealand last year and thought that it might be useful to people to have details of what we decided to do.

We were living in North Yorkshire last year and decided to move away, my first choice was New Zealand and we went on a visit to the North Island to make our final decision. Our investigations were happening around the same time as the new rules for moving to New Zealand were being put into place.

We are still in England, but have moved to Devon, we have good weather, good schools and easy-ish access to family and friends, for us this has been a good compromise.

I would have moved to New Zealand, but my husband wasn't sure, he wanted to be closer to family and friends but wanted a different sort of life style to the one we had, so we stayed in England but moved south. Things are very relaxed here, and we are close to the coast so it is a good move for us.

I think that a lot of the idea of moving so far away (i.e. to New Zealand not Devon) is to get away from problems and to get a new start, this is not always the best thing to do because your problems are more than likely to go with you.

In restrospect I think that this is a good move for us, if we had chosen New Zealand I think that we would have been disappointed because we would have found it very difficult to get accepted with the new rules that have been put into place.

I found that by visiting New Zealand I found out what I was actually looking for in a place to live in, odd really I suppose.

Now having said all that, If my husband said tomorrow that he had made a mistake and wanted to move to NZ afterall I would start packing, buy a bumper pack of bic pens and start filling in forms, hopefully he won't say that though and we can stay here, live life to the full and be happy.

Regards,

Jan.
Old May 26th 2004, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice post Jan, glad you are happy. Devon is a lovely place.

Terry
Old May 26th 2004, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Good on you!
Glad you are happy.

I came to Oz, not to get away from problems 'cos I was v happy in UK, but for a change & adventure. Just couldn't have accounted for how far I would have felt from friends & family. They are what is important to me so won't be staying here indefinitely.

Hope you continue to enjoy your new life in lovely Devon,

Bella
Old May 27th 2004, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bella,

Yes, I've just reread that original post - and that bit came out wrong, I think that most people move abroad for reasons other than leaving problems behind - lifestyle changes, unhappiness with the state of the UK, because they can, weather, beach life, jobs etc. Occasionally people think that if they move abroad their problems will go away and sometimes they are right, sometimes they are not.

Cheers,

Jan

Last edited by icklepickle; May 27th 2004 at 6:16 am.
Old May 27th 2004, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

A good thread, thanks for sharing your story.

Some people do need a change, though not necessarily such a drastic one as moving to Aus/ NZ. Your idea of moving to a different area of England was a good compromise and seems to have worked for you both.

It depends what reasons you want to move for really. We would not have found what we wanted anywhere in the Uk. Even though in part it is a beautiful place, the climate and opportunities are not there for us. We would never get the lifestyle we have here anywhere in the Uk . Family ties can make it difficult for some people, but for us it has not been hard.

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do. The process to migrate is such a long one that ideas can easily change during the process. As long as people are happy, that is the main thing.