Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

update from 'all the luck in the world'!

update from 'all the luck in the world'!

Old Oct 5th 2004, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default update from 'all the luck in the world'!

hi everyone
thought i'd better give you all a quick update on how we are getting on after being here for 3 and a bit weeks!
What can i say, so far so good, we are renting a 4 bed lowset in Eatons Hill, Brisbane, Chanelle started school yesterday and loves it, a girl there asked her to say something!!!!! She's already made a couple of friends :0) Mark is plastering and getting on really well with the Irish, Scots and Australian he is working with!
We've both got cars, me a Rav 4, him a Toyota Hilux, got TFN's sorted, Medicare sorted.
Been to Southbank, Redcliffe (twice), Australia Zoo and actually saw Steve and Terri Irwin :0)
We went 'southside' on Sunday and have decided that we definately want to stay on the northside.
Everything is going really well and we have no regrets whatsoever, yet anyway.
I'm not working and not seeking a job so if anyone wants to meet up for a coffee, pm me
hope everyones dreams are fulfilled as i feel ours have been
hugs
Rach, Mark and Chanelle xxx
Old Oct 5th 2004, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

CK2B will become famous soon enough
Default Re: update from 'all the luck in the world'!

Hi Rach,

Good to hear all is going well, you seem to be settling in well. Did Mark find work when you got out there or had he already been offered work when you were in the UK? How does he find the wages compare?

Can I have a rain check on the coffee for next year!!

keep us all posted,
CK
Old Oct 5th 2004, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for your reply and of course you can take a rain check for now!
Mark found work after we'd been here for two weeks, took a couple of weeks off to settle in! He got a copy of the Courier Mail and rang all the relevant jobs advertised, some said that they'd call back, others were answer phones, so he left messages and hoped for the best, then a couple of times he struck lucky and started last Friday after picking up his ute! The wages aren't as much as he was earning in the uk but then we've found the price of living is alot less here, he says he's earning about three quarters less here. To any plasterers coming over, you wont need your straight edges/rules, any others want any advice feel free to pm
rach, mark and chanelle x
Old Oct 5th 2004, 10:40 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi rach,
glad to hear its all going so well!!!
is chanelle settling well or is she missing things from home?
glad to hear its easy for plasterers to get work........what sort of hours is mark working? do they start fairly early in the day?

have fun!!

sue x
Old Oct 5th 2004, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Sue
Thanks for replying!
Chanelle's settled really well, she doesn't seem fazed by anything, she hasn't once said she's missing the uk, she said she can't wait to have a best friend again, but she knows that that will happen in time!
Thats right your hubby's a plasterer isn't he? Tell him that the bloke Mark is working for is crying out for them, what sort of plasterer is he? What is your hubby's intentions on coming out does he want to do 'setting' or 'sand & cement'? You get paid more for the latter here. Mark did both in the Uk but out here you chose to do one or the other!? He starts early 6am, which is fine as he was away early in the uk and he finishes at 2.30pm, which is great as he has the afternoon to spend with us! Whereabouts are you heading for? Sorry can't remember!
hugs
Rach x
Old Oct 5th 2004, 11:09 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nosuchluck
hi everyone
thought i'd better give you all a quick update on how we are getting on after being here for 3 and a bit weeks!
What can i say, so far so good, we are renting a 4 bed lowset in Eatons Hill, Brisbane, Chanelle started school yesterday and loves it, a girl there asked her to say something!!!!! She's already made a couple of friends :0) Mark is plastering and getting on really well with the Irish, Scots and Australian he is working with!
We've both got cars, me a Rav 4, him a Toyota Hilux, got TFN's sorted, Medicare sorted.
Been to Southbank, Redcliffe (twice), Australia Zoo and actually saw Steve and Terri Irwin :0)
We went 'southside' on Sunday and have decided that we definately want to stay on the northside.
Everything is going really well and we have no regrets whatsoever, yet anyway.
I'm not working and not seeking a job so if anyone wants to meet up for a coffee, pm me
hope everyones dreams are fulfilled as i feel ours have been
hugs

Hi, well I am going to the dentist at Eatons Hill tomorrow morning - we could always meet afterwards for a coffee if you like - I won't suggest before hand as I hate the dentist!!!

Cheers, Dawn
Old Oct 5th 2004, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Dawn

Hey Dawn,
do you know the village at Albany Creek? Do you know Michels the coffee bar? If so i'll meet you there, what time? pm me if you like
oh and good luck with the dentist!
hugs
Rach xxx
Old Oct 5th 2004, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Rach,

So pleased to hear that you guys are having such a positive beginning in Brissy!!

Will be great to continue reading about your experiences and feelings as the weeks roll on, so keep 'em coming!!

Would love to meet ya for coffee sometime, but might be a little far from Victoria . However, I am sure we will get to Brisbane at some stage as I have friends that live up there.

I wish you continued good luck for the future hon,

Hels
Old Oct 5th 2004, 2:20 pm
Go Banana's !!

Hi Rach,

3 weeks in, god where did that fly past !!

So pleased everything is settling down and the little 'un is doing well. Imogen has soon got loads of friends so I'm sure it won't be long before yours does.

Keep posting

Best wishes

Warren

Old Oct 5th 2004, 3:46 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rach!!!
I was absolutely delighted to hear that you have all settled in so well! good onya!!! I cant wait until the day we can leave the UK comes....it seems lke only yesterday you were till in the UK thinking you would never escape! Keep us posted!
Love,
Lucy
x
Old Oct 5th 2004, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Hiya Rach
So pleased you are lovin every minute of your new life so far and have settled in soo well, i hadn't been online for awhile so i missed saying see ya and good luck before you left but was thinking of you on the 7th
Things seem to be looking up for us too as it now has been confirmed that Keith has a job to walk straight into We are also renting a house right next door to our friends which is great..it is worth paying the rent for a couple months even tho we are not there yet just to secure it
Anyway Keep the posts coming and keep smileing

Claire
Old Oct 5th 2004, 4:11 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya Rach,
Great news that Chanelle loves her new school as I know that she was your main concern. Keep my e-mails coming and as soon as we get there I'll meet you for coffee. Love and big hugs.
Sarah
Old Oct 5th 2004, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rach,

Glad to hear you are all settling in ! Pleased to hear chantelle is enjoying her school. I have an 8 year old daughter who cant wait to get to Perth, but will miss her best friend an awful lot. Her friend was on the phone last night telling her all about the spiders and snakes and trying to put her off going !!!

Anyway good luck to you all and keep us updated !!

P.S its peeing down in Poole at the moment !!
Old Oct 5th 2004, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Hi Rach,

Glad to hear you are all settling in ! Pleased to hear chantelle is enjoying her school. I have an 8 year old daughter who cant wait to get to Perth, but will miss her best friend an awful lot. Her friend was on the phone last night telling her all about the spiders and snakes and trying to put her off going !!!

Anyway good luck to you all and keep us updated !!

P.S its peeing down in Poole at the moment !!
Hmmmm yes i see she left the good ole Poole weather behind here
Old Oct 5th 2004, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Hels, Warren, Madhouse, Teach, Nickyjohnt, LucyB
thanks for your replies, Hels, you are right Victoria is a little bit far from Brissie, but my wishes are the same wherever you are heading - all the luck in the world.
Its a funny feeling, its like we've been accepted and i feel very priviledged to be living here, living our dream! As i've said i'm sure that there will be things i don't like about Australia but so far i haven't found them!
Just dropped Chanelle off to school and the sun is shining, has been since my dozy brother-in-law rang at 5.00am this morning and Mark seems to think that because its a long way from the uk he has to shout down the phone!!!
Meeting up with DMF (dawn) this morning for coffee, thats if we recognise each other from the descriptions, there again she has a dental appointment so i'll just look out for someone dribbling!
Nicky & Madhouse - oh the sunny south coast - how i miss it - NOT!!!!
hugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.