Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UPDATE: 5 months in!

UPDATE: 5 months in!

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 10:10 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default UPDATE: 5 months in!

I had a PM the other day from Professional Princess wondering why I hadn’t written an update of our new lives. Well here you are, a short abridged version of the past 5 months on the beautiful Gold Coast…

Our flight from the UK to Singapore was great. The staff on the Singapore Airlines flight were lovely and thoughtful (as they have been everytime we have flown with them) and the journey was pretty smooth. We had a few hours to kill in Changi, so luckily they gave us Suzy’s pushchair back to make it a little easier. The flight on to Brisbane was okay apart from some turbulence, and Jonah throwing up all over Steve LOL. The only issues really were that Singapore Airlines “forgot” to put the pushchair back on the flight DOH (we got it back 24 hrs later)… oh and the sniffer dogs at baggage collection picked out one of our bags for no reason at all (apart from it had a 12 pack of Monster Munch in it for Chef101 LOL) but they were nice & let us go thru.

With the amount of luggage we had (7 kilos under our double allowance!) the Customs/Quarantine guys actually helped us push the trolleys thru the crowd of people. And a HUGE thanks goes out to Pollyanna for the advice of making a list of all “declarable stuff” in your luggage. We gave this list to the officials & they laughed and said would you like us to help you push the trolleys thru to the Arrival Hall!!! (we agreed of course)…… Mum and the family were there to meet us with a bottle of bubbly! We had arrived at last!

Mum had organised a house for us & part furnished it too, so we actually got to sleep in our own ‘new’ beds that night. It was great to actually wake up in my new home. It’s lovely BTW! (pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56984864@N00/)

We took it easy for the first 4 or 5 weeks whilst we got settled and did all the important things (centrelink, medicare, register with doctors, dentists, etc… got kids in kindy, etc). Steve actually was offered the 3rd job he applied for and is still there, working for the Woolworths Group in a hotel/motel as asst head chef. He is currently waiting for the verdict on an interview he went for in a larger kitchen (more money WOOHOO!)

As most of you know, I had set up a business with my mum helping people just like us when they arrive on the Gold Coast, etc, and so I got on with that pretty quickly, and also got busy pretty quickly! As well as that I started my own web & logo design business to make a bit of extra cash for myself and was surprised how fast that has taken off too. I am currently snowed under with work from both businesses!

We have both made loads of friends too, surprisingly though we haven’t really seen or talked to many people from BE except for TimberFloorAU, The Muppets, Jane&RussMiddleton, 68Mevy, Moneypen, coast101 and connollys_home…. Our friends seem to be Aussie, Kiwi & Malay. It’s really surprising as I had a vision of all the BE people just teaming up together! I am sure we will be able to catch up soon though as I am determined to get to a meet up. The pacific pines one is the same night as my future sister-in-laws hen night so I cannot go to that one. (sorry Soapy!)

Since we have arrived we have both been watching what we eat, and between us have lost a whopping 21 kilos! I would sooooooooooo recommend this way of life to anyone & everyone. I have never eaten as well in my life, but healthily which is surprising for me… the EX-kebab queen of the north of England! LOL

The kids are in kindy now; Jonah is in fulltime, and Suzy goes 4 days a week. It is great for them both… they are coming on leaps & bounds… the only down side being the fact that they are picking up ever kind of illness going! Currently Suzy has bronchitis too! She is getting much better though.

Well, that’s about it from our house for the moment…. We are going to Movieworld on Halloween to the Spooky Scooby Doo night they are having!

Oh, before I forget, thanks to EVERYONE for your kind words and support over the last couple of years. You guys have really spurred us on to reach our goal! Special thanks to DollyDaydream, Professional Princess, Rooksie, Loz, Suzy, Anne4Terry, GSB, Scissors, Gravyman (and Mrs Gravyman), Jane & Russ Middleton, Coast101, Wavy Davy, Mick-12, Fraser, Robos, Anastasia Beaverhausen, Wendy, Bricky Ade, phoenixinoz, mand8002, Rabc, ub40fan… wow and so many others – sorry if I forgot anyone!

Lots of love,
Claire, Steve, Jonah & Suzy
xxxxx
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UPDATE: 5 months in!

Hello Claire

Sounds like you have landed on your feet babe, really pleased it's all going so well for you all.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
I had a PM the other day from Professional Princess wondering why I hadn’t written an update of our new lives. Well here you are, a short abridged version of the past 5 months on the beautiful Gold Coast…

Our flight from the UK to Singapore was great. The staff on the Singapore Airlines flight were lovely and thoughtful (as they have been everytime we have flown with them) and the journey was pretty smooth. We had a few hours to kill in Changi, so luckily they gave us Suzy’s pushchair back to make it a little easier. The flight on to Brisbane was okay apart from some turbulence, and Jonah throwing up all over Steve LOL. The only issues really were that Singapore Airlines “forgot” to put the pushchair back on the flight DOH (we got it back 24 hrs later)… oh and the sniffer dogs at baggage collection picked out one of our bags for no reason at all (apart from it had a 12 pack of Monster Munch in it for Chef101 LOL) but they were nice & let us go thru.

With the amount of luggage we had (7 kilos under our double allowance!) the Customs/Quarantine guys actually helped us push the trolleys thru the crowd of people. And a HUGE thanks goes out to Pollyanna for the advice of making a list of all “declarable stuff” in your luggage. We gave this list to the officials & they laughed and said would you like us to help you push the trolleys thru to the Arrival Hall!!! (we agreed of course)…… Mum and the family were there to meet us with a bottle of bubbly! We had arrived at last!

Mum had organised a house for us & part furnished it too, so we actually got to sleep in our own ‘new’ beds that night. It was great to actually wake up in my new home. It’s lovely BTW! (pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56984864@N00/)

We took it easy for the first 4 or 5 weeks whilst we got settled and did all the important things (centrelink, medicare, register with doctors, dentists, etc… got kids in kindy, etc). Steve actually was offered the 3rd job he applied for and is still there, working for the Woolworths Group in a hotel/motel as asst head chef. He is currently waiting for the verdict on an interview he went for in a larger kitchen (more money WOOHOO!)

As most of you know, I had set up a business with my mum helping people just like us when they arrive on the Gold Coast, etc, and so I got on with that pretty quickly, and also got busy pretty quickly! As well as that I started my own web & logo design business to make a bit of extra cash for myself and was surprised how fast that has taken off too. I am currently snowed under with work from both businesses!

We have both made loads of friends too, surprisingly though we haven’t really seen or talked to many people from BE except for TimberFloorAU, The Muppets, Jane&RussMiddleton, 68Mevy, Moneypen, coast101 and connollys_home…. Our friends seem to be Aussie, Kiwi & Malay. It’s really surprising as I had a vision of all the BE people just teaming up together! I am sure we will be able to catch up soon though as I am determined to get to a meet up. The pacific pines one is the same night as my future sister-in-laws hen night so I cannot go to that one. (sorry Soapy!)

Since we have arrived we have both been watching what we eat, and between us have lost a whopping 21 kilos! I would sooooooooooo recommend this way of life to anyone & everyone. I have never eaten as well in my life, but healthily which is surprising for me… the EX-kebab queen of the north of England! LOL

The kids are in kindy now; Jonah is in fulltime, and Suzy goes 4 days a week. It is great for them both… they are coming on leaps & bounds… the only down side being the fact that they are picking up ever kind of illness going! Currently Suzy has bronchitis too! She is getting much better though.

Well, that’s about it from our house for the moment…. We are going to Movieworld on Halloween to the Spooky Scooby Doo night they are having!

Oh, before I forget, thanks to EVERYONE for your kind words and support over the last couple of years. You guys have really spurred us on to reach our goal! Special thanks to DollyDaydream, Professional Princess, Rooksie, Loz, Suzy, Anne4Terry, GSB, Scissors, Gravyman (and Mrs Gravyman), Jane & Russ Middleton, Coast101, Wavy Davy, Mick-12, Fraser, Robos, Anastasia Beaverhausen, Wendy, Bricky Ade, phoenixinoz, mand8002, Rabc, ub40fan… wow and so many others – sorry if I forgot anyone!

Lots of love,
xxxxx
Lovely 'feel good' update
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:07 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

What an amazing update. You seem really happy and settled already. The house looks fab. Glad you are enjoying your new life.
J x
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:10 am
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy

Lots of love,
xxxxx

Hiya,

I feel famous now !!!!!! I am mentioned in 2 posts on the same night !!!!
we have been mega busy with Russ working, and I am doing a course now so we are getting along with life, I must say most of our friends are Ozzy, or Kiwi, just the way it goes really I guess, as the kids mix with them at school so you just kinda get involved with them that way, we will have to do an update soon too as we have been her 4 months now.... we went to Movieworld today as it was a pupil free day from school, then came home went for a swim, had tea, now kids are snoozing and Russ is playing football for a gold coast team in the over 35's league
hey we love living here and are enjoying the different life we had in UK, much more outdoors and healthier lol
Take care
Jane
xx
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Really good to see you on BE again and even better to see and hear your doing well.
It also reminds me I have to e Gravyman

Scotty.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:56 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Claire !! Glad youve all settled in so well

Fee x
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Glad to hear you have settled in OK.

I guess we'll have to do an update soon.

Graham & sara
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottyboy
Really good to see you on BE again and even better to see and hear your doing well.
It also reminds me I have to e Gravyman

Scotty.

Nice to see you are busy at work as ever.

Graham
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

ello my sweet dont forget the mince pies and wine we promised each other when r u free

tracey
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gravyman
Nice to see you are busy at work as ever.

Graham
What you talkin about Willis. I sweat blood at work me;P
Just sent you an email.

Scotty.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice post Claire. Glad you're all doing so well and am seriously impressed with the weight loss. Nice pics.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

OOh you beat me to it! Well done with the weight loss! Feels great doesn't it. Good to read how well you have done, thanks.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:48 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I find it comforting to hear how well you are doing.

We are quite worried Abdel wont get a job when we get there and its nice to hear you have done so well and encouraging as well.

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post, sounds like you're well and truly settled

Lovely pics - kids and house

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.