Unwanted Lodger

Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:27 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Unwanted Lodger

Hi can anybody out there tell me what kind of spider this is? I discovered it yesterday in my Letterbox and thought it was just a Huntsman so I left it as I believe they are harmless, don't like to get rid of something that can't hurt us

Today it has spun a rather large web and I'm sure I read that Huntsmen can't spin webs

Any advice would be appreciated. Will kill if it's dangerous as I have two young children (it'll make a bit of a mess though)
Help please as I am expecting the mail in about an hour :scared:

PS we are in Melbourne if that narrows down the species

Louise
Attached Thumbnails Unwanted Lodger-unwanted-lodger.jpg  
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:31 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Unwanted Lodger

Originally Posted by ljj
Hi can anybody out there tell me what kind of spider this is? I discovered it yesterday in my Letterbox and thought it was just a Huntsman so I left it as I believe they are harmless, don't like to get rid of something that can't hurt us

Today it has spun a rather large web and I'm sure I read that Huntsmen can't spin webs

Any advice would be appreciated. Will kill if it's dangerous as I have two young children (it'll make a bit of a mess though)
Help please as I am expecting the mail in about an hour :scared:

PS we are in Melbourne if that narrows down the species

Louise
I don't want to scare you here but something you've just said rang a bell.

Is it a funnelweb spider? If so then you need to be really careful and have it removed from your letter box.

I'm not sure where funnelweb's are [I though NSW?]....but it might be worth you checking out a website to see if there is a resemblance [try Google]

In the meantime, keep yourself and others away until you are sure.

I've noticed it's breeding / mating season for a lot of creatures out here and there is definatly an increase in sightings of all the "pretties" at the moment:scared:

Good luck.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:33 am
Account Closed

Here you are: Does it look like this?

http://www.spiderzrule.com/spider3.htm
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:33 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

It looks more like a harmless orb spider.

Don't think we get funnel webs in Melbourne, to cold for them, just like you Queenslanders.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:35 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
I don't want to scare you here but something you've just said rang a bell.

Is it a funnelweb spider? If so then you need to be really careful and have it removed from your letter box.

I'm not sure where funnelweb's are [I though NSW?]....but it might be worth you checking out a website to see if there is a resemblance [try Google]

In the meantime, keep yourself and others away until you are sure.

I've noticed it's breeding / mating season for a lot of creatures out here and there is definatly an increase in sightings of all the "pretties" at the moment:scared:

Good luck.
Thanks for that not too scared now...not!

I thought funnel webs were not in Victoria but I will google.

funny you should mention it but the web is kind of like thin cotton wool rather than a stringy web.

Oh no and we are expecting to find out the results of our citizenship interview last week in the post today!

Better to be safe than sorry, who do you contact? Is it pest removals?

Louise
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:37 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

Thanks bordy, prefer your explanation.

I see you are in the SE burbs. Anywhere near Beaumaris, can you pop round before the postie

Louise
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bordy
It looks more like a harmless orb spider.

Don't think we get funnel webs in Melbourne, to cold for them, just like you Queenslanders.
Aye....but these things wear ugg boots you know

Lets hope you are right about the spider m8

[there are other "pretties" to see on there, Im sure she'll find it in one of them ]
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:42 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ljj

I see you are in the SE burbs. Anywhere near Beaumaris, can you pop round before the postie

Louise
A little spray of surface spray into the letterbox does wonders.

Of course it might not kill it, just enough for it to run back to the garden.

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ljj

Louise
I am near you in Metone and going to the Pavillion for lunch - however, I would be as much good as a chocolate fireguard as petrified of spiders!!!!
ljj
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Here you are: Does it look like this?

http://www.spiderzrule.com/spider3.htm

I can't really see it that clearly as it is dark inside the letter box and I don't reallt want to get too close now!

Thanks for the details though.

Louise
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:44 am
Account Closed

Just found this for Melbourne area

http://www.museum.vic.gov.au/infosheets/10288.pdf

:scared: :scared: .....................go get one of these .......and some Mortein spray
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:45 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vanessa
I am near you in Metone and going to the Pavillion for lunch - however, I would be as much good as a chocolate fireguard as petrified of spiders!!!!

Oh I can walk there from here. Have a nice lunch, don't worry about me!!! If you see "stupid Pomm killed by spider cos she can't wait to find out if she is becoming Australian or not" headline in the Local paper, that'll be me!

Louise
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:47 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ljj
Oh I can walk there from here. Have a nice lunch, don't worry about me!!! If you see "stupid Pomm killed by spider cos she can't wait to find out if she is becoming Australian or not" headline in the Local paper, that'll be me!

Louise
Hubbie works for The Age so I shall make sure you get on the front page!!!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:48 am
The Godfather

Originally Posted by ljj

Louise

How about........."Days from becoming an Aussie but eaten by the great Beaumaris Pom eating spider"

Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ljj
If you see "stupid Pomm killed by spider cos she can't wait to find out if she is becoming Australian or not" headline in the Local paper, that'll be me!

Louise
PMSL.....or newspaper headline

"Two Pomms arrested trying to kill rare Australian spider with a chocolate fireguard"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.