Unsure!!

Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Boltongirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Unsure!!

Hi everyone been looking at this website for what seems like ages and theres always someone on here who gives good and honest advice!

Here goes....ive been planning on coming to Aus for ages now and have got my citizenship (by descent) now i was thinking of Melbourne intially as i could have possibly transferred offices within my current job but then changed my mind (again!!) and decided on going to Perth as i have a couple of friends that live out there, which would benefit me as i was orginally going it alone!!
But.....a couple of my friends have just received their WHV and they want to go to Melbourne for a few months on the harvest trail as it was where i was going.
Am i being selfish by telling them that I dont want to go to Melbourne anymore...? I would prefer to just move out there find a job and get on with it but they want to backpack and see the sights.
Shall i go along with them and stop feeling guilty for ruining their '12 months' or just stuff it and go with my original plan of moving to Perth. It does seem a slight waste tho that i would be going all the way to aus and missing out on the 'backpacking experience!'

Sorry for the long post guys and hope it makes sense...i need to make a decision quick as the flights are being booked on Thursday!!!
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unsure!!

Can you afford to do the back packing experience and do you want to? Ultimately you are going to be out there permanently however when will you get to do the back packing side? Saying that I refused to go out, when i went travelling, with anyone as i wanted to see Australia on my terms at my pace.

Have they got their whv on the proviso of traveling with you, at least initially? If you decide you dont want to do melbourne, what are their thoughts of catching up with you in Perth later in their WHV? Do they even know that you are thinking of not going melbourne or is this going to be a bombshell on them?
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi Biker girl!
They know that im unsure about it and they know about my plans to go to Perth whether it be after traveling or just going there straight away. I just feel like im spoiling their plans of backpacking. Even tho they are big girls and they can do it themselves without me!!
I could possibly afford it depending on what kind of job i get when im there, i will just have to be extra careful with what i spend! From your personal experience would you recommend the backpacking thing then settle in Perth?

Just noticed that your from Preston!! fellow Northener!!

Thanks
Nat x
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boltongirl
Shall i go along with them and stop feeling guilty for ruining their '12 months'
Why would you be ruining it? They're big girls, big enough to get their visas, buy their flights and make their way over the other side of the planet.

You go, do what you want to do - you can always meet up somewhere either West or East or somewhere you all haven't been. Or you can even jump in, work full time and then meet them later for backpacking.. or vice versa

Follow your heart, that's exactly what I did and haven't regretted it one moment!

One thing I would say, is have your CV and cover letter ready and make contact with agencies etc.. before you leave. When I first left I had three appointments lined up the week I arrived and managed to secure a temp contract withni 1.5 weeks. It was enough to get me started, get some money coming in and gave me space to find what I really wanted to do.

x

and PS you know in your heart of hearts what you want to do, just do it!

Last edited by Still Game; Jul 25th 2011 at 7:48 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yep another northern - though heading to Sydney in 3 weeks time with my husbands job

I would definately recommend planning some travelling around - and if you think about Perth and Melbourne arent local so may be beneficial to to see that part of the country first before settling in Perth. It will then avoid the whole "did i do the right thing" that you get if you dont do something. I am guessing you are going to be able to work out there, so there is no reason why you cant pick up some casual work whilst in the Melbourne area, and then you can also internet job hunt in the Perth area whilst seeing some of the country , if you arent going to be able to transfer with your company.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your advice guys!!

I had a 'meeting' with the girls today and just explained how i felt. i dont know why i was so bothered about it! They just said that they would come to Perth with me first and get me settled then they would head off to Melbourne.
Lucky i got such understanding friends!

Im deffo going to get my CV and covering letter sorted before i leave and all my references etc so hopefully i can secure a job as soon as possible. Once ive saved up enough money ill then go and travel the wonderful place that is Oz!!!

Not long to go now....18 weeks
Old Jul 27th 2011, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You do have nice friends

I was just going to say if you can afford to travel around for a few months then why not. Once you get into the routine of working, have a place rented etc, the opportunity to take some time out for travel might not come around very often.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 10:59 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You do have nice friends

I was just going to say if you can afford to travel around for a few months then why not. Once you get into the routine of working, have a place rented etc, the opportunity to take some time out for travel might not come around very often.
I have to say driving and camping around Australia has been THE best experience of being here. If you can afford it I would definitely recommend it. There is some incredible scenery. Completely agree with Bermuda above - once you are in the hum drum routine of work/rent etc it will be so much harder to do and you might miss out.