Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unplanned pregnancy whilst applying for PR

Unplanned pregnancy whilst applying for PR

Old Dec 2nd 2006, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

TheGreenz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Unplanned pregnancy whilst applying for PR

I am just wondering if anyone has had experience of this situation. We are currently in Qld on a 457 visa and we have just lodged our PR application a couple of weeks ago, I have just got paperwork for chest xrays from my agent but we did them for our 457 early this year, could we use our previous ones? I know medicals are only valid for 12 months but I was'nt sure about the xrays.Although we are overjoyed with the news of a new arrival we are worried our plans will now be put on hold. I have read a thread about a couple in our situation but they are in the uk, not sure how it works if we are already in Australia. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Rachel G.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 12:01 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Unplanned pregnancy whilst applying for PR

Hi Rachel

I can't help you but just wanted to say congratulations on your pregnancy. I had an unexpected one too, took me quite a while to get used to the thought of another child, but he's 4 now and we wouldn't be without him.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

TheGreenz is an unknown quantity at this point

We already have a daughter Jessie, it was yesterday on her 2nd birthday we found out number two was on the way, It's great news but it has put our plans to drive to perth next year on hold for a while!

Rachel G
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 12:08 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheGreenz
We already have a daughter Jessie, it was yesterday on her 2nd birthday we found out number two was on the way, It's great news but it has put our plans to drive to perth next year on hold for a while!

Rachel G

Do it whilst they're tiny I say. We drove to Adelaide from Sydney with our 3 week old. It was a breeze. Being pregnant and travelling isn't so much fun though!
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 12:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I am just wondering if anyone has had experience of this situation. We are currently in Qld on a 457 visa and we have just lodged our PR application a couple of weeks ago, I have just got paperwork for chest xrays from my agent but we did them for our 457 early this year, could we use our previous ones? I know medicals are only valid for 12 months but I was'nt sure about the xrays.Although we are overjoyed with the news of a new arrival we are worried our plans will now be put on hold. I have read a thread about a couple in our situation but they are in the uk, not sure how it works if we are already in Australia. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Rachel G.
You would be better advised to ask on the immigration forum. Sometimes you can reuse 457 medicals, other times you cannot.

One thing you need to know is that if the child is born before PR is granted, he or she will not be an Australian citizen at birth and the child's health will also need to be assessed as part of your PR application. It also means no baby bonus etc.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 10:42 am
Ben and Dede

bredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Unplanned pregnancy whilst applying for PR

Rachel G.
Hi Rachel

Congratulations on your news.

Our experience was applying for a PR visa from the UK. We received an e-mail from our case officer saying that our visa was ready to grant and was this suitable for our purposes at this time. My wife was still pregnant and I said "Yes Please!"... WOOPS . That Yes Please cost us over £500 as our new baby Matthew couldn't be added onto a granted visa even though we hadn't arrived in Australia. The DIMIA say they want to know if you're pregnant. My advise would be to find out if delaying your visa grant until after the birth would be a hell of a lot cheaper in your circumstances.

Hope this helps.

Ben
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 12:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bredennis
Our experience was applying for a PR visa from the UK. We received an e-mail from our case officer saying that our visa was ready to grant and was this suitable for our purposes at this time. My wife was still pregnant and I said "Yes Please!"... WOOPS . That Yes Please cost us over £500 as our new baby Matthew couldn't be added onto a granted visa even though we hadn't arrived in Australia. The DIMIA say they want to know if you're pregnant. My advise would be to find out if delaying your visa grant until after the birth would be a hell of a lot cheaper in your circumstances.
This is well meaning advice but the circumstances of someone living in Australia on a temporary visa are completely different!

If baby is born in Australia to an PR visa holder, then he or she is automatically an Australian citizen and no visa is needed.

An unborn child is not a visa applicant and cannot be a reason to refuse or delay granting visa if parents want to proceed.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
This is well meaning advice but the circumstances of someone living in Australia on a temporary visa are completely different!

If baby is born in Australia to an PR visa holder, then he or she is automatically an Australian citizen and no visa is needed.

An unborn child is not a visa applicant and cannot be a reason to refuse or delay granting visa if parents want to proceed.

The situation would surely be different though if the baby was born a few weeks before the parents were given PR?
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 1:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by esperanza
The situation would surely be different though if the baby was born a few weeks before the parents were given PR?
Yes it would be different and if baby had health problems that might be the end of the PR application.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Yes it would be different and if baby had health problems that might be the end of the PR application.
Could be quite harsh.

Would it be safer then to proceed with PR application and push it through as fast as possible so that baby would be automatic resident and healthcare not such an issue? Would it be feasible to not disclose the pregnancy for a few months or could that invalidate the whole thing?

(Oh and big congratulations to the expectant couple! )
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 1:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

Would it be safer then to proceed with PR application and push it through as fast as possible so that baby would be automatic resident and healthcare not such an issue? Would it be feasible to not disclose the pregnancy for a few months or could that invalidate the whole thing?
Pregnancy will be disclosed at medical time. The problem is that pregnant women don't normally do an x-ray but this is not mandatory and some doctors don't have an issue with it.

Once again, an unborn child is not a visa applicant and is not a lawful reason to refuse to grant a visa. Once child is born, things change (if child is not an Australian citizen).
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Once again, an unborn child is not a visa applicant and is not a lawful reason to refuse to grant a visa. Once child is born, things change (if child is not an Australian citizen).
Mmmm I got that, I was thinking that if you lied then that might invalidate the application.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 1:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

Mmmm I got that, I was thinking that if you lied then that might invalidate the application.
There's no question of not disclosing information in this case.

And even if there was, there's a fairly common understanding that pregnancy is not a notifiable change of circumstances (however, birth of a non-Australian child certainly is).