Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unlocking mobiles - you may not have to!

Unlocking mobiles - you may not have to!

Old Mar 1st 2004, 7:39 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough
Default Unlocking mobiles - you may not have to!

As some of you may know, I forgot to get our mobiles unlocked before we left the UK.

I phoned my service provider lot and the lady on there said she could apply for a PUK number and email it to me with all the instructions to unlock it.

Then she asked me if my phone was branded - which it isn't - and she said it would be worth trying a NZ SIM card in it as unbranded phones are generally already unlocked ( because they don't know where they are going to end up I suppose).

So I did and it did!!

$50 for a new SIM card plus $20 of credit - bargain!!
Old Mar 1st 2004, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pollster, guess your lucky streak just goes on and on! how you settling in? I read in the paper there had been some flood damage in your new road - hope your place is ok! i've got to top up the NZ sim I bought over there in June to keep it active for another year, havent worked out the logistics of that yet - I wonder If i could just get a vodaphone top up here - would that work?
Old Mar 1st 2004, 7:54 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by nell m
Hi Pollster, guess your lucky streak just goes on and on! how you settling in? I read in the paper there had been some flood damage in your new road - hope your place is ok! i've got to top up the NZ sim I bought over there in June to keep it active for another year, havent worked out the logistics of that yet - I wonder If i could just get a vodaphone top up here - would that work?

I haven't been down to look, actually, but I think the slip was further up the top. Our house is down in a dip on a fairly flat bit of land so I think it should be OK.

I don't know if a Vodafone top up from the UK would work - if you liked I could get you a $20 prepay card and post it over to you and you could top it up via text?

Or post me your SIM card - I will top it up and post it back.

I am going into town this pm - so I will go ask the Vodafone chappie what he thinks would be best and post what he says on this thread.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. In return, I'll bring you something you miss from the UK when I come over!