Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

University in Western Australia

University in Western Australia

Old Nov 25th 2007, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Glw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant future
Default University in Western Australia

I've recently applied for university in Western Australia using TISC for course at Murdoch University and University of WA. I'm basically wondering whether from the experience of other people whether going to university in Australia is worthwhile in comparison to the UK for example, and whether it represents value for money.

I briefly went to university here in the UK back in September following the completion of my A-levels, although it didn't really work out for me for several reasons. My parents are emigrating back to WA in about April, and although I'd like to reapply to university back here for next September, I'd be better off financially going with my parents. I've looked into funding for example, and have been told that as an Australian resident, I can gain 75% of the necessary funding through a commonwealth supported place.

In anyone's opinion, would a place at an Australian uni be worthwhile, particularly for if I wanted to return to the UK with my qualification? (Looking to do a BA in Sustainable Development or Geography).
Old Nov 25th 2007, 9:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University in Western Australia

Originally Posted by Glw88
I've recently applied for university in Western Australia using TISC for course at Murdoch University and University of WA. I'm basically wondering whether from the experience of other people whether going to university in Australia is worthwhile in comparison to the UK for example, and whether it represents value for money.

I briefly went to university here in the UK back in September following the completion of my A-levels, although it didn't really work out for me for several reasons. My parents are emigrating back to WA in about April, and although I'd like to reapply to university back here for next September, I'd be better off financially going with my parents. I've looked into funding for example, and have been told that as an Australian resident, I can gain 75% of the necessary funding through a commonwealth supported place.

In anyone's opinion, would a place at an Australian uni be worthwhile, particularly for if I wanted to return to the UK with my qualification? (Looking to do a BA in Sustainable Development or Geography).
UWA is university in WA with the strongest general reputation. http://www.go8.edu.au

Most British people won't know the general pecking order of Australian universities but if university is in the Group of Eight it's at least a good start.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Glw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant futureGlw88 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
UWA is university in WA with the strongest general reputation. http://www.go8.edu.au

Most British people won't know the general pecking order of Australian universities but if university is in the Group of Eight it's at least a good start.
Didn't realise such a group existed. Thanks for the link.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 4:42 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glw88

hey glw88

75%! if thats right thats pretty good ! but my uderstanding is from this:
http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/Fe...te/Default.htm

which if i read this right and from previous experience means that altho you might be a permanent resident you also need to be a citizen to get support? dont know if you are? sounds good if what you've been told is correct but i would check. also - know a couple of uk guys who looked into coming over and studying but will cost international student rates if you're not a citizen, which could be 3 or 4 times as much money as domestic students, so they went back to the uk to get their degrees. in terms of quality, if you can get a degree incorporating honours that will make it more attractive to and employer and also related work experience/internship/vacation work will add to you employability - hope that helps - get the fees checked!
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joeyballantyne
which if i read this right and from previous experience means that altho you might be a permanent resident you also need to be a citizen to get support? dont know if you are?
Permanent residents pay domestic fees but don't get the fee discount/deferral schemes that Australian citizens can get.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by joeyballantyne
hey glw88

75%! if thats right thats pretty good ! but my uderstanding is from this:
http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/Fe...te/Default.htm

which if i read this right and from previous experience means that altho you might be a permanent resident you also need to be a citizen to get support? dont know if you are? sounds good if what you've been told is correct but i would check. also - know a couple of uk guys who looked into coming over and studying but will cost international student rates if you're not a citizen, which could be 3 or 4 times as much money as domestic students, so they went back to the uk to get their degrees. in terms of quality, if you can get a degree incorporating honours that will make it more attractive to and employer and also related work experience/internship/vacation work will add to you employability - hope that helps - get the fees checked!
I spoke to somebody at the Department for Education, Science and Technology I think it was called, who told me it was 75% funding if you are a resident.

At some point though, maybe tonight, I'll have to phone the universities themselves as they suggested this would be a good idea just to ensire that this would be the situation at the universities I've applied for.