Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

University Loans available to PR who have not yet gained Citizenship...

University Loans available to PR who have not yet gained Citizenship...

Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

kelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant future
Default University Loans available to PR who have not yet gained Citizenship...

Does anyone know if you can get a loan to cover the cost of uni fees when you haven't got citizenship? I was planning to go back to uni just for a year and was happy to pay the fees but I was hoping there was some sort of loan available to me. Anyone got any advice/ideas?
Cheers
Old Oct 25th 2005, 7:35 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University Loans available to PR who have not yet gained Citizenship...

Originally Posted by kelusa
Does anyone know if you can get a loan to cover the cost of uni fees when you haven't got citizenship? I was planning to go back to uni just for a year and was happy to pay the fees but I was hoping there was some sort of loan available to me. Anyone got any advice/ideas?
Cheers
As far as I know you are not entitled to the government student loans without citizenship. These are the most common loans. I doubt the banks would lend either.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University Loans available to PR who have not yet gained Citizenship...

Originally Posted by kelusa
Cheers
You can't get a gov student loan if you are not a citizen, NZ citizen's also do not qualify (I checked this out for my son). Also the loan is income tested and even a lot of Aussie's do not qualify.
Have a look at the qtac web site.
Cheers
KAZ
Old Oct 25th 2005, 11:12 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: University Loans available to PR who have not yet gained Citizenship...

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
You can't get a gov student loan if you are not a citizen, NZ citizen's also do not qualify (I checked this out for my son). Also the loan is income tested and even a lot of Aussie's do not qualify.
Have a look at the qtac web site.
Cheers
KAZ
Qtac does say that NZ citizens are not considered international applicants though meaning they pay the same fees as Australian citizens.

Buzzy
Old Oct 25th 2005, 11:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Qtac does say that NZ citizens are not considered international applicants though meaning they pay the same fees as Australian citizens.
Correct, but there is no access to fee discount/deferral schemes.

Jeremy
Old Oct 25th 2005, 11:31 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: University Loans available to PR who have not yet gained Citizenship...

Originally Posted by JAJ
Correct, but there is no access to fee discount/deferral schemes.

Jeremy
Thank you Jeremy, is there anywhere I can look to find out how much these schemes are worth?

Thanks.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Thank you Jeremy, is there anywhere I can look to find out how much these schemes are worth?

Thanks.

http://www.goingtouni.gov.au

And the websites of the universities or TAFEs that interest you.

Jeremy
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:38 am
Victorian Evangelist

Thumbs up Re: University Loans available to PR who have not yet gained Citizenship...

Originally Posted by JAJ
http://www.goingtouni.gov.au

And the websites of the universities or TAFEs that interest you.

Jeremy
Thank you Jeremy
Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

kelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant future

Thanks for the replies. I'll just have to put off a change of career for another 3 years or save like crazy!!!Trust those darn new citizenship laws to come in - sod's law.