Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Universities - who gets priority???

Universities - who gets priority???

Old Nov 10th 2004, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Curls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to all
Exclamation Universities - who gets priority???

I have two girls one is 14 and taking her key stage 3 this year and the other is 16 taking her GCSE's (all 12 of them!! ) Both are at grammar schools and coping with the homework really well and getting great grades. However with the "good news" expected through the post anyday now BIG decisions are ahead.

If we go almost straight away and decide that it is not for us then the youngest won't even have her GCSE's therefore no A levels and no Uni. And the eldest will not take A-levels. Apparantly subjects that are taught in Australian schools are very different to that in English schools. Can anyone verify this?

Also. If my eldest manages to get A/A* for the five subjects that she wants to continue (five subjects for A level in the U.K ) than does she have as much of a chance as an Australian student who also wants a placement. (ATM she is looking at Oxord and Cambridge if we stay in this country of Melbourne if we don't)

Does anyone know any web-sites which we could visit which would tell us about GCSE's and their equivalents A - levels and their equivalents and anyone who has been to school here and/or there who could 1. Recommend gd. ones in Melbourne, Perth or Sydney. 2. tell me if the subjects are differ alot i.e. the course they follow.

BUST MOST IMPORTANTLY... are the fees for australian students and students from England (for uni's) the same????

ANy stories or experiences that any of you know about would be brill!

Thanks.
Curls.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Universities - who gets priority???

Originally Posted by Curls
I have two girls one is 14 and taking her key stage 3 this year and the other is 16 taking her GCSE's (all 12 of them!! ) Both are at grammar schools and coping with the homework really well and getting great grades. However with the "good news" expected through the post anyday now BIG decisions are ahead.

If we go almost straight away and decide that it is not for us then the youngest won't even have her GCSE's therefore no A levels and no Uni. And the eldest will not take A-levels. Apparantly subjects that are taught in Australian schools are very different to that in English schools. Can anyone verify this?

Also. If my eldest manages to get A/A* for the five subjects that she wants to continue (five subjects for A level in the U.K ) than does she have as much of a chance as an Australian student who also wants a placement. (ATM she is looking at Oxord and Cambridge if we stay in this country of Melbourne if we don't)

Does anyone know any web-sites which we could visit which would tell us about GCSE's and their equivalents A - levels and their equivalents and anyone who has been to school here and/or there who could 1. Recommend gd. ones in Melbourne, Perth or Sydney. 2. tell me if the subjects are differ alot i.e. the course they follow.

BUST MOST IMPORTANTLY... are the fees for australian students and students from England (for uni's) the same????

ANy stories or experiences that any of you know about would be brill!

Thanks.
Curls.
Curls,

All top Australian universities accepts A-levels. You can find courses and fees on the universities' web sites. At Monash, the fees for PRs and for citizens are the same. I assume it's the same at other universities.

University of NSW
http://www.unsw.edu.au/

Monash University
http://www.monash.edu/

University of Melbourne
http://www.unimelb.edu.au/

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Curls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to allCurls is a name known to all
Default Re: Universities - who gets priority???

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Curls,

All top Australian universities accepts A-levels. You can find courses and fees on the universities' web sites. At Monash, the fees for PRs and for citizens are the same. I assume it's the same at other universities.

University of NSW
http://www.unsw.edu.au/

Monash University
http://www.monash.edu/

University of Melbourne
http://www.unimelb.edu.au/

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Thanks for that!

Curls.