Union Jack and republic backed

Old Jan 25th 2004, 2:04 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Union Jack and republic backed

http://news.com.au/common/story_page...55E421,00.html

Union Jack and republic backed
By Adam Harvey
January 25, 2004

FEWER than one in three Australians want the Queen to be the nation's head of state.

The Sunday Telegraph has conducted an exclusive Newspoll to mark Australia Day which reveals Australians want to keep the flag and the national anthem but are more determined than ever to have our own head of state.

Fewer than one in three (30 per cent) believe the Queen should remain as head of state while 64 per cent favour an Australian in the position.

The national poll of 1200 people shows that support for removing the Queen has grown significantly since the referendum on the Republic in 1999, which was defeated 55 to 45 per cent, and a Newspoll in December 1995, when 56 per cent supported the change.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 2:10 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

I love our heritage (Britain), but what does the Royal Family actually do for Australia? Does Aus pay anything towards the Queen to be head of state? Is it just an empty title?
Old Jan 25th 2004, 2:14 am

I am not sure if they contribute money to the Royals. One thing that is noticeable is the younger people are far less likely to be royalists.

Another thing to note is the survey did not state the method of voting for a head of state. Aussies hate their politicians which is why the last republic move failed.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Stormz
I love our heritage (Britain), but what does the Royal Family actually do for Australia? Does Aus pay anything towards the Queen to be head of state? Is it just an empty title?
Having an external head of state meant that in the 1970s a deadlock in parliament over the budget could only be broken when the Governor General stepped in and stood the parliament down. The Aussies were livid, but the budget got passed.

If I were an Aussie I'd much rather have an independent and unbribeable head of State than some appointed pollie - that's what they voted for last time. Ideally they'd like to elect their own Head of State, but I guess the candidates would come from the ranks of the pollies, so they'd be stuffed again anyway.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:04 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

If she doesn`t cost us any money then I say it`s good to have her on board.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:19 pm

Originally posted by CHnJ
Having an external head of state meant that in the 1970s a deadlock in parliament over the budget could only be broken when the Governor General stepped in and stood the parliament down. The Aussies were livid, but the budget got passed.

If I were an Aussie I'd much rather have an independent and unbribeable head of State than some appointed pollie - that's what they voted for last time. Ideally they'd like to elect their own Head of State, but I guess the candidates would come from the ranks of the pollies, so they'd be stuffed again anyway.
That is what stuffed it for the republicans last time.