Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unfurnished flats

Unfurnished flats

Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:04 am
Just Joined

beck_wanderer is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Unfurnished flats

I've arrived back in Oz and have started the task of flat hunting. Thanks for all those who replied to my last posting

I have decided to rent in Manly, but I'm coming across the issue, that the majority of flats seem to be unfurnished. Is this the norm in Sydney?

Due to moving around a lot, I have always rented and own no furniture. So what have other non-furniture owners done in the past? Any ideas where I can get decent, second hand furniture cheap?

Cheers
Becks
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:08 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Unfurnished flats

Originally posted by beck_wanderer
I've arrived back in Oz and have started the task of flat hunting. Thanks for all those who replied to my last posting

I have decided to rent in Manly, but I'm coming across the issue, that the majority of flats seem to be unfurnished. Is this the norm in Sydney?

Due to moving around a lot, I have always rented and own no furniture. So what have other non-furniture owners done in the past? Any ideas where I can get decent, second hand furniture cheap?

Cheers
Becks
Most rental accomodation is unfurnished. There is a second hand furniture shop off Hall St in Bondi Beach but decent is a relative thing. Otherwise try e-bay or graysonline. Another second hand option is www.tradingpost.com.au or buy the paper on thursdays. Furniture is expensive in Australia.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 4:10 am
ABCDiamond

Cheers
Becks
Garage sales at the weekends can be very good, to get basic furniture. Look for those that advertise a moving sale, you could buy a whole household worth in one go if you are lucky.

And Yes, most flats/units are not furnished. Those that are, tend to be a bit expensive, but useful for short term stays.

Old Jan 8th 2004, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

topcat is an unknown quantity at this point

Without transport I found getting secondhand stuff a bit tricky. Superamart have some cheap (new) furniture and The Good Guys (not sure if they are down your way) will reduce the price of white goods etc. if you offer cash.

Check out noticeboards (possibly even on the web) of local universities: loads of students are moving in/out at the moment and selling off their stuff.

TC
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Becks
Crows Nest on the northside has a lot of furniture shops in a relatively compact area. Some secondhand stres there too. Don't know anywhere else near Manly - maybe Warringah Mall or Brookvale has something similar? At Moore Park, there's a 'SupaCenta' (stupid name) which is a shopping mall full of shops just selling furniture and household items. You can always get something on special there. There's another one at Taren Point and there may a similar type of place, Manly way.

Really all you need in the short term (assuming the apartment has built-ins) is a bed, a sofa and a fridge.

I'd buy a cheap bed frame somewhere and get a decent, new mattress for it. Try Freedom, Ikea, Oz Furniture and the likes for a cheapish sofa. Use directors chairs if you need extra seating. For a table or desk, just use a couple of trestles and a board. I think Ikea sells trestles and boards to fit.

Try shops like SecondsWorld for cheap fridges. New stuff but might have a scratch on it somewhere.

You can then pad it all out with coffee/bedside/side tables/rugs etc when you can afford it.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:16 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

That SupaCentre in Moore Park has an IKEA, Freedom, Harvey Norman, BBQs Galore and other stores.