Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unexpected effect of heat and humidity

Unexpected effect of heat and humidity

Old Apr 3rd 2006, 11:29 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unexpected effect of heat and humidity

Just wondered if anyone else has noticed a rise in the death rate of batteries, and other electrical goods since getting here. In just over a year I have lost 2 power adaptors, 2 li-on batteries for the mp3 player, 1 li-on pack for the portable. 2 sets of speakers and now 2 sets of brand new unopened Duracell batteries.

The Duracell’s had until March 2011 to expire but they have all leaked gunge and white crystals. The speakers grew white crystals on the metalwork and coils until the wires corroded away. The 1st mp3 battery died after 3 months and the replacement is nearly dead after 6 months. The battery power packs all showed signs of corrosion too and this probably lead to their untimely death. Just wondered if anyone else has noticed their battery powered stuff not lasting so long.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 11:49 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unexpected effect of heat and humidity

Originally Posted by arkon
Just wondered if anyone else has noticed a rise in the death rate of batteries, and other electrical goods since getting here. In just over a year I have lost 2 power adaptors, 2 li-on batteries for the mp3 player, 1 li-on pack for the portable. 2 sets of speakers and now 2 sets of brand new unopened Duracell batteries.

The Duracell’s had until March 2011 to expire but they have all leaked gunge and white crystals. The speakers grew white crystals on the metalwork and coils until the wires corroded away. The 1st mp3 battery died after 3 months and the replacement is nearly dead after 6 months. The battery power packs all showed signs of corrosion too and this probably lead to their untimely death. Just wondered if anyone else has noticed their battery powered stuff not lasting so long.
You could be on to something. We have two digi cameras - one I bought in the hot Mid West USA several years ago which is fine but the one I bought in the UK for my daughter drains the batteries if it is hot faster than I can drain a pint on a Friday night.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

The other thing that staggered me was how fast mould grows in wardrobes and boxes under the house .. even curtains cop it if I don't air them enough. We've certainly gone through electronics goods a damn sight faster here than we did in the UK.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 1:20 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CHnJ
The other thing that staggered me was how fast mould grows in wardrobes and boxes under the house .. even curtains cop it if I don't air them enough. We've certainly gone through electronics goods a damn sight faster here than we did in the UK.
Mould, tell me about it, I've just spent most of today scrubbing mold off all the window frames. And your right about battery life, I used to get 14 hours on a charge with the mp3 player, now with its new battery its down to 8 if I'm lucky. If I leave it in the car the extra heat runs it dry in a couple of hours. dry cell's don't last as long either, I've spent a fortune on batteries since I've got here.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Mould, tell me about it, I've just spent most of today scrubbing mold off all the window frames. And your right about battery life, I used to get 14 hours on a charge with the mp3 player, now with its new battery its down to 8 if I'm lucky. If I leave it in the car the extra heat runs it dry in a couple of hours. dry cell's don't last as long either, I've spent a fortune on batteries since I've got here.
Arkon, the more I read your threads the more I am convinced that you should have moved to Melbourne.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 8:32 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Arkon, the more I read your threads the more I am convinced that you should have moved to Melbourne.
Why? Don't you have mould in Melbourne?
Old Apr 4th 2006, 9:31 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Why? Don't you have mould in Melbourne?
Yes we have tonnes of it.
And the driving is really awful (everyone is involved in some sort of accident every day).
And it’s got to be the most over-regulated state. You can’t go to the toilet without a permit.
And it’s really provincial – you’re lucky to have a Bunnings let alone one stocked as well as your local.
And there’s no cheese down here.
And no bananas.
And it’s a really dreadful place to live.
And everyone is so stupid they can’t even find their local school – which is by the way, really rubbish.
I’d go somewhere else in Aus if I wasn’t saddled with a crumbling house that has lost three-quarters of its value in the last year.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 10:10 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
And the driving is really awful (everyone is involved in some sort of accident every day).
And it’s got to be the most over-regulated state. You can’t go to the toilet without a permit.
And it’s really provincial – you’re lucky to have a Bunnings let alone one stocked as well as your local.
And no bananas.
And everyone is so stupid they can’t even find their local school – which is by the way, really rubbish.
I’d go somewhere else in Aus if I wasn’t saddled with a crumbling house that has lost three-quarters of its value in the last year.
Sonds like you've got a house like mine.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

ex-GLOS will become famous soon enoughex-GLOS will become famous soon enough

Sonds like you've got a house like mine.
Don't know about batteries because we haven't been here that long, but we do go thru an awful lot of lightbulbs...any thoughts on that?
Old Apr 6th 2006, 6:07 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ex-GLOS
Don't know about batteries because we haven't been here that long, but we do go thru an awful lot of lightbulbs...any thoughts on that?
you need to buy lightglobes man

kidding of course, I've thought that too, and it's not the wiring I've had it in 3 different houses
the other weekend I had an outside spotlight, a kitchen down light and a small table lamp all go within 48 hours???
Old Apr 6th 2006, 6:16 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge

kidding of course, I've thought that too, and it's not the wiring I've had it in 3 different houses
the other weekend I had an outside spotlight, a kitchen down light and a small table lamp all go within 48 hours???

fit or get fitted dimmer switches

dimmers soft start the lamps and lead to longer lamp life

regards Steve
( electrician )
Old Apr 6th 2006, 6:21 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by gedge

My place is full with 12v 50w down lighters and I can honestly say we lose about 3 a month. Initially I thought the bulbs were blowing, but then I discovered the legs are of the bulbs are a different metal to the receptacle they go into, add a bit of humidity and they corrode so fast they lose electrical contact. I also lose those long life flow bulbs far faster then back home too. In my case it’s probably my rubbish rural electrical supply that fluctuates up over 300v some times and some nights it’s on and off so often that it lookes like a bloody disco here. Last night the power did it’s usual 4 on and offs in about a minute then went off for longer, I’m alright this time or so I thought as I now have a UPS on the computer, Well it was out for an hour and the UPS only lasted 5 minutes! Oh the joys of trashing harddrives!
Old Apr 6th 2006, 6:23 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by steve`o
fit or get fitted dimmer switches

dimmers soft start the lamps and lead to longer lamp life

regards Steve
( electrician )
Are you sure? I was always told that the lower the current the hotter the filament gets, something to do with V=IR or the other formula about power, long time ago so can't remember exactly.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 6:29 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
And no bananas.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 6:35 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

My place is full with 12v 50w down lighters and I can honestly say we lose about 3 a month. Initially I thought the bulbs were blowing, but then I discovered the legs are of the bulbs are a different metal to the receptacle they go into, add a bit of humidity and they corrode so fast they lose electrical contact. I also lose those long life flow bulbs far faster then back home too. In my case it’s probably my rubbish rural electrical supply that fluctuates up over 300v some times and some nights it’s on and off so often that it lookes like a bloody disco here. Last night the power did it’s usual 4 on and offs in about a minute then went off for longer, I’m alright this time or so I thought as I now have a UPS on the computer, Well it was out for an hour and the UPS only lasted 5 minutes! Oh the joys of trashing harddrives!
my house has 40 lv 12v fittings with 12v diachronic architectly they are great but they do have a short lamp life
( rated at 1000hrs )
like i said ive fitted dimmers to all the circuits except the bathrooms
in the lounge i have 12 fittings and in 6 years ive only changed 4 lamps
the bathroom ones ( 4 in each bathroom x 2 ) must have been changed at least 3 0r 4 times ( each lamp ) over the last 6 years

lamps blow - usually as they start up as the go from cold to 1300 degrees C in milliseconds using a dimmers slows down the process and there for "soft starts" the lamps which in turn prolongs the life

regards Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.