Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Understanding Aussie trade qualifications

Understanding Aussie trade qualifications

Old Nov 8th 2006, 1:06 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Understanding Aussie trade qualifications

Hi folks,
We are hopefully heading out to melbourne next year if I can get a job in advance as a nurse.
Hubby is a heating engineer who is looking to retrain once we get there. He has no formal plumbing qualifications and is looking into getting into mechanical engineering or fabrication.
When we have looked at TAFE courses they start off with certificates 1&2(basic),certificate 3 is an apprenticeship and cert 4 is post apprenticeship.
You can also do a diploma or advanced diploma in mechanical engineering or fabrication.
My question is this: with a one year diploma would hubby be able to get a job as a welder/ fitter or would he have to do an apprenticeship?
Is the diploma designed for a different type of job. The diploma in fabrication has welding sections and CAD sections but would an employer want more than that?
FWIW I know he will pick it up very quickly as he is good with his hands, can read drawings, knows autocad etc
Any advice will be appreciated.
p.s What is a ticket? Often asked for in job adverts.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

sassycat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Understanding Aussie trade qualifications

Originally Posted by Kapri
Hi folks,
We are hopefully heading out to melbourne next year if I can get a job in advance as a nurse.
Hubby is a heating engineer who is looking to retrain once we get there. He has no formal plumbing qualifications and is looking into getting into mechanical engineering or fabrication.
When we have looked at TAFE courses they start off with certificates 1&2(basic),certificate 3 is an apprenticeship and cert 4 is post apprenticeship.
You can also do a diploma or advanced diploma in mechanical engineering or fabrication.
My question is this: with a one year diploma would hubby be able to get a job as a welder/ fitter or would he have to do an apprenticeship?
Is the diploma designed for a different type of job. The diploma in fabrication has welding sections and CAD sections but would an employer want more than that?
FWIW I know he will pick it up very quickly as he is good with his hands, can read drawings, knows autocad etc
Any advice will be appreciated.
p.s What is a ticket? Often asked for in job adverts.
Hiya kapri

Can I ask what qualifications he has as a heating engineer?? We have just passed TRA on my Oh - who is a heating engineer. Is it out of choice he wants to re-train or because the jobs are few and far between?

As far as I know a ticket is like Corgi Registration/ACS etc though if I am wrong perhaps someone will correct me.

Whatever happens my OH will have to go back to the TAFE to get registered before he can be employed.

How far along are you in the proccess???

Good Luck

Sas x-x-x
Old Nov 8th 2006, 2:59 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassycat
Hiya kapri

Can I ask what qualifications he has as a heating engineer?? We have just passed TRA on my Oh - who is a heating engineer. Is it out of choice he wants to re-train or because the jobs are few and far between?

As far as I know a ticket is like Corgi Registration/ACS etc though if I am wrong perhaps someone will correct me.

Whatever happens my OH will have to go back to the TAFE to get registered before he can be employed.

How far along are you in the proccess???

Good Luck

Sas x-x-x
Hi Sas,
He has corgi registration here and is very experienced.
However all my research has led us to realise that in Australia you need to have plumbing qualifications (city and guilds) which he does not have. Gas fitting on its own is not enough. If he has to retrain anyway he'd rather do something a bit different and not go down the plumbing route. He is interested in either mechanical engineering or welding.
I have just applied to have my skills assessed as a nurse.
How far along are you? I see you are not too far from me in sunny Dorset.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:00 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

At last some heating engineers, doesn't seem to be many of us. My OH works in industrial heating, ventilation and air conditioning {HVAC} and is classed for MODL purposes as mechanical services and air conditioning. what are you classed at for your visa? I don't think heating engineer was on list was it?

As far as I know if you have tickets in this country it usually refers to qualified welding skills OH has tickets in tig, metal arc and gas welding not sure if it means the same over there everything is worded differently Some jobs I have seen have asked for a blue card same as skills card in this country I believe. There seems to be lots of jobs around both for industrial and domestic work so hopefully no problems getting a job. Some of the jobs I have seen also advertise for restricted electrical license so will have to look into that, do you know anything about that?

Do you know how long it takes to get registered before you can work? Hope its not too long.

In order to find out what the comapnies want from hubby we emailed a few CV's off to industrial HVAC companies to see if they would potentially give him a job or any advise. Just done that so not heard yet but fingers crossed we will.

Good luck withyour application

Kaye
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:06 pm
Happy migrant

At last some heating engineers, doesn't seem to be many of us. My OH works in industrial heating, ventilation and air conditioning {HVAC} and is classed for MODL purposes as mechanical services and air conditioning. what are you classed at for your visa? I don't think heating engineer was on list was it?

As far as I know if you have tickets in this country it usually refers to qualified welding skills OH has tickets in tig, metal arc and gas welding not sure if it means the same over there everything is worded differently Some jobs I have seen have asked for a blue card same as skills card in this country I believe. There seems to be lots of jobs around both for industrial and domestic work so hopefully no problems getting a job. Some of the jobs I have seen also advertise for restricted electrical license so will have to look into that, do you know anything about that?

Do you know how long it takes to get registered before you can work? Hope its not too long.

In order to find out what the comapnies want from hubby we emailed a few CV's off to industrial HVAC companies to see if they would potentially give him a job or any advise. Just done that so not heard yet but fingers crossed we will.

Good luck withyour application
Hiya,
I think your husband would have more luck with HVAC. He could probably do a short course to get a restricted electrical licence. Do a search for Tafe's in your chosen area.
My husband is a domestic service and breakdown engineer. I am a nurse so we are applying for a visa that way.
My husband has a small amount of experience welding and will do an evening course before we go but I'm not sure if it will be enough to get him a job.

Last edited by Kapri; Nov 8th 2006 at 4:09 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Firth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really nice

Hi there Kaye
We would really like to know what info you gave to the companies you have written to. My OH is applying for 4431-19 (Mechanical Services and Air Conditioning Plumber) but at the moment is working for a HVCA company in the UK. We also thought of writing to companies over in oz but didn't know what kind of quals they were looking for.

Diane
Old Nov 9th 2006, 8:33 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Firth4oz
Hi there Kaye
We would really like to know what info you gave to the companies you have written to. My OH is applying for 4431-19 (Mechanical Services and Air Conditioning Plumber) but at the moment is working for a HVCA company in the UK. We also thought of writing to companies over in oz but didn't know what kind of quals they were looking for.

Diane
Hi Diane

Sorry did not get back to you earlier had a school prize evening to go to.
Nice to hear someone with the same MODL job as us you're the first one I have found, thought we were the only ones struggling with this job.

We didn't write our own skills assessment currently being done by an agent we should get it back in next couple of days for OH employers to sign and then we can send it off . As soon as we get it back I can pass on any info though. We did have to fill in some questionairres though it included all apprenticeship details, on the job training everything from the really basic stuff to the most complicated thing he did, college details how long was he there etc. Then you have to write about his work experience jobs he had done etc fitting fans, grills, gas, water and steam pipes...everything...The most important thing was to show progression apparently. Also we had to list all tools he had ever used. Are you writing it yourself if you are good for you it filled me with horror :scared: I would have to have written it OH can't do things like that he struggled to write a page I eventually took over..... he had wrote one paragraph in an hour

The companies we have contacted are all in Brisbane we were reccommended Brisbane through others in the same line of work who have lived all over OZ but we have made no definate plans of where to settle yet have you? We went on holiday to Brisbane in August and loved it.

We had looked at job adverts for HVAC Technicians and to be honest the job description sounds the same as here OH thinks some stuff is worded differently but its basically nothing he couldn't do although some jobs want restricted electrical license may have to get one but you can do that there seems easy to get a course. OH has city and guilds heating and ventilating fitting, 3 welding tickets .......and some gas fitting qualifications nothing major though. He has worked for the past 24 years so hopefully he has everyhing an employer would want according to him 'HE IS THE BEST'

If you still want the info and can wait a couple of days will gladly get back to you.
Good luck with everything.
Kaye

Last edited by wardy2; Nov 9th 2006 at 8:38 am.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 8:45 am
aka DORIS

Hiya,
I think your husband would have more luck with HVAC. He could probably do a short course to get a restricted electrical licence. Do a search for Tafe's in your chosen area.
My husband is a domestic service and breakdown engineer. I am a nurse so we are applying for a visa that way.
My husband has a small amount of experience welding and will do an evening course before we go but I'm not sure if it will be enough to get him a job.

Thanks for that bit of guidance I did check TAFE and sure enough there it was seems ok to get on course if he needs it. Seems to be a few welding courses as well unfortunately doesn't say how long it takes. Just tried to ring OH to see if I could get any info on welding in this country see how long it takes but he is in a boiler room in the depths of a huge building no reception on his phone sorry but will try again later.

Kaye
Old Nov 9th 2006, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Firth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really nice

Hi Kaye

It looks as though your and mine do the same job!!! Mine is also stuck in some boiler/plant room in Pontyfract.
Sounds as though you are at the TRA assessment stage, fortunately for us we're past that stage but remember it well (not toooooo fondly either!!). At the moment we're waiting at the visa stage (can tell - no nails!!)
We're also wanting to head for Brisbane for now, North Lakes area as Mark has family there. Unlike you we've not actually been to oz so its a very huge leap for all of us (+ 2 kids).
If we can help in any way just let us know.
Diane
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Just noticed this thread. OH, thomas is a gas service engineer with british gas , and served trade as plumber. We already have visa and are going to melbourne at xmas. We have stni 137 subclass from victorian government but its for plumbing. We have recently applied to www,pic.vic.gov.au to have a registration and or licence. They took the fee 2 weeks ago and still have not heard anything. There b type gas ticket is equivalent to corgi acs registration, but there is loads of different certifcates for each field of plumbing/heating.We assumed that when he passed tra, it was fine as we were told the scottish qualification auth in trades was equivalent to aussie ones, they are similar, but thought it best to apply anyway to plumbing/heating board to ensure maximum scope for applying for jobs.

so try the plumbing industry board on www.pic.vic.gov.au, if this helps any

thanks

sj
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:21 pm
fidge

fidge is on a distinguished road

Hi Kaye

It looks as though your and mine do the same job!!! Mine is also stuck in some boiler/plant room in Pontyfract.
Sounds as though you are at the TRA assessment stage, fortunately for us we're past that stage but remember it well (not toooooo fondly either!!). At the moment we're waiting at the visa stage (can tell - no nails!!)
We're also wanting to head for Brisbane for now, North Lakes area as Mark has family there. Unlike you we've not actually been to oz so its a very huge leap for all of us (+ 2 kids).
Diane
hi just wanted to say I'm also a plumber thats going to perth tho we have passed TRA and now sent off the visa application so fingers crossed all goes well for you two
i believe that its a 2 year course to plumb out there an 18 months working with another plumber no sure on prices i v only been plumbing for about 6 7 years so dont mind going back to collage
Old May 30th 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

corgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to all

Hi Sas,
He has corgi registration here and is very experienced.
However all my research has led us to realise that in Australia you need to have plumbing qualifications (city and guilds) which he does not have. Gas fitting on its own is not enough. If he has to retrain anyway he'd rather do something a bit different and not go down the plumbing route. He is interested in either mechanical engineering or welding.
I have just applied to have my skills assessed as a nurse.
How far along are you? I see you are not too far from me in sunny Dorset.
Sorry to bother you. Not sure if your in OZ yet? As its a old thread.
Just need to ask you a few questions.
julie
Old May 30th 2007, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

corgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to allcorgi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne
Just noticed this thread. OH, thomas is a gas service engineer with british gas , and served trade as plumber. We already have visa and are going to melbourne at xmas. We have stni 137 subclass from victorian government but its for plumbing. We have recently applied to www,pic.vic.gov.au to have a registration and or licence. They took the fee 2 weeks ago and still have not heard anything. There b type gas ticket is equivalent to corgi acs registration, but there is loads of different certifcates for each field of plumbing/heating.We assumed that when he passed tra, it was fine as we were told the scottish qualification auth in trades was equivalent to aussie ones, they are similar, but thought it best to apply anyway to plumbing/heating board to ensure maximum scope for applying for jobs.

so try the plumbing industry board on www.pic.vic.gov.au, if this helps any

thanks

sj
Sorry to bother you. Would like to ask a few questions please.
Old May 30th 2007, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Kaye

Diane
Sorry to bother you would like to ask you a couple of questions please.
Old May 30th 2007, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wardy2
Hi Diane

Sorry did not get back to you earlier had a school prize evening to go to.
Nice to hear someone with the same MODL job as us you're the first one I have found, thought we were the only ones struggling with this job.

We didn't write our own skills assessment currently being done by an agent we should get it back in next couple of days for OH employers to sign and then we can send it off . As soon as we get it back I can pass on any info though. We did have to fill in some questionairres though it included all apprenticeship details, on the job training everything from the really basic stuff to the most complicated thing he did, college details how long was he there etc. Then you have to write about his work experience jobs he had done etc fitting fans, grills, gas, water and steam pipes...everything...The most important thing was to show progression apparently. Also we had to list all tools he had ever used. Are you writing it yourself if you are good for you it filled me with horror :scared: I would have to have written it OH can't do things like that he struggled to write a page I eventually took over..... he had wrote one paragraph in an hour

The companies we have contacted are all in Brisbane we were reccommended Brisbane through others in the same line of work who have lived all over OZ but we have made no definate plans of where to settle yet have you? We went on holiday to Brisbane in August and loved it.

We had looked at job adverts for HVAC Technicians and to be honest the job description sounds the same as here OH thinks some stuff is worded differently but its basically nothing he couldn't do although some jobs want restricted electrical license may have to get one but you can do that there seems easy to get a course. OH has city and guilds heating and ventilating fitting, 3 welding tickets .......and some gas fitting qualifications nothing major though. He has worked for the past 24 years so hopefully he has everyhing an employer would want according to him 'HE IS THE BEST'

If you still want the info and can wait a couple of days will gladly get back to you.
Good luck with everything.
Kaye
Sorry to bother you would like to ask you a few questions please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.