Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Undeducted purchase price

Undeducted purchase price

Old Oct 29th 2004, 7:56 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Undeducted purchase price

Has anyone any info on tax relief on a final salary company pension scheme?

I was told by the ATO that by getting the official figure of my own personal contributions over the years, I can get a deduction from my Oz tax bill. Seems like a good idea, but how does this work in practice?
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:41 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Undeducted purchase price

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
Has anyone any info on tax relief on a final salary company pension scheme?

I was told by the ATO that by getting the official figure of my own personal contributions over the years, I can get a deduction from my Oz tax bill. Seems like a good idea, but how does this work in practice?
Interesting this Rog.

It is one of the things on my list to check out.

I would like to hear from people who have been through it.

G
Old Oct 30th 2004, 10:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Interesting this Rog.

It is one of the things on my list to check out.

I would like to hear from people who have been through it.

G
It's probably not something which many people on the forum will know the ins and outs of in detail.

I'd suggest talking to Alan Collett, or failing that try a trawl through the ATO website and see what comes up.

Jeremy
Old Oct 30th 2004, 10:03 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's like a bit of a black hole in the info. stakes!

When you think you are talking many thousands of dollars, it makes you want to find out more........

I have emailed and phoned my pension managers and explained the position: they have quite a few people in a similar position and I can't believe they haven't had all this out before. I will wait and see.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 12:34 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Rog,

I suggest you might speak with John Griffiths or Jeremy Coverdale on 07 3226 1800 ... claiming a deduction for the UPP isn't a subject where you will find too many knowing a huge amount (if anything), as you are finding!

Because the quantum of the deduction may be significant over time I also recommend you take advice as to the completion of your first Aussie Tax Return.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
Yes, it's like a bit of a black hole in the info. stakes!

When you think you are talking many thousands of dollars, it makes you want to find out more........

I have emailed and phoned my pension managers and explained the position: they have quite a few people in a similar position and I can't believe they haven't had all this out before. I will wait and see.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 12:55 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks - will do.