Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unbalanced Point of View

Unbalanced Point of View

Old Mar 5th 2003, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Unbalanced Point of View

Certain Posters on this website are complaining that People who have immigrated to Australia have negative comments to make. However the same people feel free (and nobody complains) to slag off the UK post after post.

Why on earth do people emmigrating from Uk think the are able to post negatively but not people in Australia!

Look if all you want to hear is a load of Bull---- go back to the holiday brochures, aussie soaps.

Or broaden your horizons. Look at the Canadian board, positive and negative posts all reasonably discussed. People actually living there are made welcome.

It seems to me that all people want to hear is they are going to heaven. All very well to stick your head in the sand but what happens when you arrive here!

During my time on this board, dozens of posters have arrived, look through the board, they do crop back up, and usually its complaining about Aus. One guy from sussex I think was on recently the immigration forum complaining about all the petty taxes here. With respect it was a far cry form his pre Australia posts.

Or Jacqui, she came back on after a string of very positive post holiday posts with a far more balanced view. Come on get real, Australia is a long way from paradise or anywhere else for that matter.

Quite frankly, some of the rubbish written about Aus by prospective immigrants, is going to provoke comments, simply because it is so far from what is actually going on here.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 7:57 am
Banned

Thylacoleo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Unbalanced Point of View

Originally posted by dotty
Certain Posters on this website are complaining that People who have immigrated to Australia have negative comments to make. However the same people feel free (and nobody complains) to slag off the UK post after post.

Why on earth do people emmigrating from Uk think the are able to post negatively but not people in Australia!

Look if all you want to hear is a load of Bull---- go back to the holiday brochures, aussie soaps.

Or broaden your horizons. Look at the Canadian board, positive and negative posts all reasonably discussed. People actually living there are made welcome.

It seems to me that all people want to hear is they are going to heaven. All very well to stick your head in the sand but what happens when you arrive here!

During my time on this board, dozens of posters have arrived, look through the board, they do crop back up, and usually its complaining about Aus. One guy from sussex I think was on recently the immigration forum complaining about all the petty taxes here. With respect it was a far cry form his pre Australia posts.

Or Jacqui, she came back on after a string of very positive post holiday posts with a far more balanced view. Come on get real, Australia is a long way from paradise or anywhere else for that matter.

Quite frankly, some of the rubbish written about Aus by prospective immigrants, is going to provoke comments, simply because it is so far from what is actually going on here.
If a strong London lass married to a wiry Aussie Rules warrior can not put down strong nurishing roots in dry stony Australian soil, what hope for British fanciers of Aussie Soap Opera fantasies?
Old Mar 5th 2003, 8:38 am
Just Joined

thnx4allthefish is an unknown quantity at this point

Dotty,

I think a lot of people are saying the same thing. Your there, you don't like it - fair enough, and I know your just injecting real-life comments to peoples posts.
The people trying to escape the UK are trying to be optimistic, and they want to know they are making the right decision so if you keep posting negatives (as correct as they are in your experience) it makes people uneasy about their decision.
What's been said before still stands - people need to stay focused to their task, and try it for themselves, if they love it then great, good for them. If they hate it then at least they gave it a go, and they can re-assess

After a few weeks of browsing this forum, I thought it was unduly negative, but It doesn't bother me now. People have their own lives to lead, and make their own decisions - life aint easy - anywhere you are, there is no Utopia to be had. I myself just need a break from the UK, I'm not expecting Oz to be all ups with no downs, I'm just going with an open mind, and giving it a go. If I love it I'll stay. If I prefer the UK I'll come back, but at least I'll have tried.

Andy
Old Mar 5th 2003, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by thnx4allthefish
Dotty,

I think a lot of people are saying the same thing. Your there, you don't like it - fair enough, and I know your just injecting real-life comments to peoples posts.
The people trying to escape the UK are trying to be optimistic, and they want to know they are making the right decision so if you keep posting negatives (as correct as they are in your experience) it makes people uneasy about their decision.
What's been said before still stands - people need to stay focused to their task, and try it for themselves, if they love it then great, good for them. If they hate it then at least they gave it a go, and they can re-assess

After a few weeks of browsing this forum, I thought it was unduly negative, but It doesn't bother me now. People have their own lives to lead, and make their own decisions - life aint easy - anywhere you are, there is no Utopia to be had. I myself just need a break from the UK, I'm not expecting Oz to be all ups with no downs, I'm just going with an open mind, and giving it a go. If I love it I'll stay. If I prefer the UK I'll come back, but at least I'll have tried.

Andy
Old Mar 5th 2003, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

Please keep the 'negativity' and perceived criticism going - its the lifeblood of this forum. As sombody looking to migrate I want to know the good AND the bad, so I can form my own opinions.

If I wanted fairy stories, I would stick to the Travel Agents and Regional Development Agencies blurb.

For most of us visiting this forum who are still in the UK we want to learn about life in Aus - positive and negative happenings, anecdotes, press cuttings, statistics, moans - it makes the whole process somewhat real. I feel I know what I'm getting into from the comments and observations on this site.

Keep up the good (and bad) work!
Old Mar 5th 2003, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point

i do think a lot of brits seem to love slagging off england but wont have a word said against a country they know little about living in. they really do need to come to australia to realise how silly they are.

good on them for wanting to try something new but be alive to the possibility that once you live in oz and see the double standards, work the long hours, experience every day life here cut off from the rest of the world, family and friends then you may not like it either. But what the hell give it a go it really is a great adventure but dont insult all the true ex-pats that have a different view of their home land having seen the other side.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 1:01 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

If anyone on this forum is really having doubts on moving to Oz as a result of several people's negative/realistic points of view then they should be questioning their reasons for undertaking such a life-changing experience. Moving down the road is stressful enough let alone moving to a foreign country with a new culture. The shock of adapting to a new culture is stressful but depending on your attitude can be exciting too.

I think that a lot of the "negative" people have never adapted to Oz and this is why they are spending their time on this forum, instead of making the most of the place they chose in the first place to be their home. I'm all for people highlighting problems about a place, but even they have to admit, it's not all bad.

Think of the innocents in Iraq who are about to get a visit from Uncle Sam's cavalry.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 5:02 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kevmitch
Please keep the 'negativity' and perceived criticism going - its the lifeblood of this forum.
Keep the negative viewpoint flowing, yes. But keep personal attacks off this forum.

I'm going to make it a point to delete posts that I find are senselessly negative or are personal attacks.

I'm tired of all the crap attacks going on here, and despite my preference at remaining neutral, I'm sorry to say that some people's posts will start disappearing (some have already been removed).

Anyone who reads a personal attack on this forum's pages, report it to me.

Peter
Old Mar 5th 2003, 6:06 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
Balanced posts are NOT negative posts.

Balanced posts are not only made up of negative sentiments or abusive attacks.

Overly positive posts are good for the dreamers.

Balanced views (not just negative or abusive posts) are more than welcome here.

Some posts that you think are 'balanced' simply sound like a broken record. Whining over and over again about everything under the sun. Why don't those people go away and write a book and earn some money while they're at it.

Peter
Old Mar 5th 2003, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

joebloggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ptlabs
Balanced posts are NOT negative posts.

Balanced posts are not only made up of negative sentiments or abusive attacks.

Overly positive posts are good for the dreamers.

Balanced views (not just negative or abusive posts) are more than welcome here.

Some posts that you think are 'balanced' simply sound like a broken record. Whining over and over again about everything under the sun. Why don't those people go away and write a book and earn some money while they're at it.

Peter

I have to agree with Dotty and say that something of a double standard exists. There are people out there who feel free to slag off the UK. Well OK. But then shouldn't people (particularly if they have lived/are living in OZ) also feel free to point out some of the negative points involved in living there. And isn't this good for potential newcomers to know?
agreed that one or two people go too far (and we all probably know who they are!) but I have to say that having done the thing, moved out to Oz, then back again some of the comparing OZ/UK are just so far wide of the mark I feel compelled to write.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 8:06 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by joebloggs
I have to agree with Dotty and say that something of a double standard exists.
I don't think a double standard exists insofar as the deletion of abusive postings is concerned.

Sure, go ahead and post stuff about the reality in Oz. I have no problems with that. Neither do I have any problems with postings that says that life in Oz is not all milk and honey and BBQs.

I do, however, have a problem with, as you pointed out, a few individuals hell bent on spewing un-objective negativity about life in Oz and life in general - as if the UK is a paradise, and so on.

I do not delete posts indiscriminately. I only remove those that have no business being here (abusive, private slang match, irrelevantly negative, etc).
Old Mar 5th 2003, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

joebloggs is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not delete posts indiscriminately. I only remove those that have no business being here (abusive, private slang match, irrelevantly negative, etc).
fair enough
Old Mar 5th 2003, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kinda proves my point

This thread kinda validates my reply to Garland, hmmmmmmmmm...

A balanced viewpoint is exactly that - balanced not of full one sided ranting/raving about ANY country, etc.

Blithering on about lack of UK TV, pastry, sausages, driving techniques in Aus not really enlightening to propective migrants is it? Fair enough it's your opinions but it always seems to lead to arguments if anyone questions the moaners (always the same 'I've already moved to Aus - you haven't so I know more, nah, nah neh nah, nah).

I've lived in 3 different continents and quite often met more open minded people who haven't even travelled abroad - and met and heard from some who think their worldy-wise because they have - but in fact are so closed-minded I think they would be more comfortable talking to 'Alf Garnet' than moving countries.

MM
Old Mar 5th 2003, 10:56 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

As a fairly recent immigrant to Oz I still find a lot of things different/frustrating, still adjusting to the new life. I'm a pretty positive sort of person so the last thing I want to do is to whinge to people about these things, especially the locals. This forum, however, is a great place to let off a bit of steam, cheer up then continue on with normal life. If someone wants to start a separate thread only for potential migrants then fine, otherwise let those of us here already continue to use this forum to give whatever views we feel like (as long as not v.offensive). There are lots of tedious little arguments going on on these forums and a lot of it is very dull. As for PB, well (no offence PB) I might not be his best mate if I met him face to face but at least he keeps the whole thing flowing. The forum would be a much duller place without the occasional banter and provocation. And as for moderators expressing a biased opinion against certain individuals, wouldn't it be better if moderators demonstrated their own balance, reasoned opinions by not passing comment on which posters they like/don't like agree/disagree with??
Old Mar 5th 2003, 10:59 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by jayr
And as for moderators expressing a biased opinion against certain individuals, wouldn't it be better if moderators demonstrated their own balance, reasoned opinions by not passing comment on which posters they like/don't like agree/disagree with??
Excuse me, I may be a moderator, but I'm also a reader.

Just because I moderate doesn't mean I can't express my own opinion. I'm not the Queen, you know!

Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.