Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Unable to cut down own trees?

Wikiposts

Unable to cut down own trees?

Old Jul 24th 2003, 9:40 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Amazulu
This is ridiculous. If you need to do any electrical work in your own house & feel confident enough then just go ahead & do it, who's going to know?. Just use basic common sense. Anyone should be able to rewire a plug. Are we heading for the ultimate nanny state?.
What is the Aus colour code of the earth wire and to which Aus plug pin would you attach it?

What is the colour code of a Brit earth wire?

How will you test which is the earth wire if none of the wires are coded according to Brit or Aus conventions?

Pass the test and do it yourself, fail and you might only blow a fuze or just electrocute someone.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

I connect earth to active all the time...never had a problem. Also, it heats the house, makes it nice and warm.

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

(this is a joke, do not ever mess with electricity unless you know what you are doing)

Originally posted by The Tooth Fairy
What the regulations intend to prevent is someone wiring the earth line to the active or neutral pin on any plug as that would result in other earthed equipment being made live with the risk of electrocution and equipment damage. No problem if you know the colour code of the three wires.

Causes of Electrical Accidents
Old Jul 24th 2003, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

This is ridiculous. If you need to do any electrical work in your own house & feel confident enough then just go ahead & do it, who's going to know?. Just use basic common sense. Anyone should be able to rewire a plug. Are we heading for the ultimate nanny state?.
Totally agree if you know what you are doing in your own home go for it. I added power points, lights in my NZ home no problem, just didn't tell anyone. I'd defy anyone to tell which is the work I'd done and what was done by qualified electrician. Also added phone points all over the house as wiring is same as UK.
Doing it commercially is a different ball game which I would not do as I'm no qualified electrician. Even so my job in the UK involved handleing 3 phase power as well as single phase when required.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Trouble is with doing your own stuff illegally, that most houses here are bought and sold with a full building inspection.

We had one done, it was picked up by Inspector that house had new work all they did was ask the owner to provide paperwork that electrical/plumbing was done by Licensed tradesperson. Could not produce it so contract collapsed and we were advised to sue for compensation. (Did not sue, Aussie thing). Look its just a safety thing and if in OZ stick to it. Basically get a bit of paper for all things housey and you will be OK.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by dotty
Trouble is with doing your own stuff illegally, that most houses here are bought and sold with a full building inspection.

We had one done, it was picked up by Inspector that house had new work all they did was ask the owner to provide paperwork that electrical/plumbing was done by Licensed tradesperson. Could not produce it so contract collapsed and we were advised to sue for compensation. (Did not sue, Aussie thing). Look its just a safety thing and if in OZ stick to it. Basically get a bit of paper for all things housey and you will be OK.
Totally agree I would NEVER buy a house without a full building inspection, (had one done on my current brand new house) but if you do the work properly your work is indistingusihable from a reg electricians work. I've been with these inspectors when they check houses and I've never yet seen them open up a power point to look inside.

If you checked my current house I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't be able to tell if I've added anything or not (not admitting a thing. ). You pay your money and take your chance as far as I'm concerned.

I've got no document from the builder saying all work on my house was done by qualified people, I doubt many people have.

Have you not seen some of the shonky work some of these registered people have done.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 7:34 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Totally agree I would NEVER buy a house without a full building inspection, (had one done on my current brand new house) but if you do the work properly your work is indistingusihable from a reg electricians work. I've been with these inspectors when they check houses and I've never yet seen them open up a power point to look inside.

If you checked my current house I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't be able to tell if I've added anything or not (not admitting a thing. ). You pay your money and take your chance as far as I'm concerned.

I've got no document from the builder saying all work on my house was done by qualified people, I doubt many people have.

Have you not seen some of the shonky work some of these registered people have done.
That's right. What makes ozzie sparks so special?, is their training any better than other countries?, I doubt it. All this red tape just keeps people in jobs (I guess it's driven by unions). The TRA is a prime example, they make you jump through hoops to match 'Australian Standards', when we are probably better qualified than they are.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 8:11 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

That's right. What makes ozzie sparks so special?, is their training any better than other countries?, I doubt it. All this red tape just keeps people in jobs (I guess it's driven by unions). The TRA is a prime example, they make you jump through hoops to match 'Australian Standards', when we are probably better qualified than they are.
If you become a citizen, you can vote to keep out whomever you choose.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 11:48 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty

here we go again,SUEING is not an" aussie thing"............its a crappy world thing, started by shyster american lawyers,ambulance chasing scum suckers........get it right doppey.... MM
Old Aug 19th 2003, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Totally agree if you know what you are doing in your own home go for it. I added power points, lights in my NZ home no problem, just didn't tell anyone. I'd defy anyone to tell which is the work I'd done and what was done by qualified electrician. Also added phone points all over the house as wiring is same as UK.
Doing it commercially is a different ball game which I would not do as I'm no qualified electrician. Even so my job in the UK involved handleing 3 phase power as well as single phase when required.

Yes, if you know what you are doing then go for it. For example: I challenge anybody to be able to tell the difference between my home job and the experts (see photos)

Just make sure you know what you are doing, just like what I does........whats that smell.....?
Attached Thumbnails Unable to cut down own trees?-dsc00229.jpg  
Old Aug 19th 2003, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jwatsonoz
Yes, if you know what you are doing then go for it. For example: I challenge anybody to be able to tell the difference between my home job and the experts (see photos)

Just make sure you know what you are doing, just like what I does........whats that smell.....?

What is that mega-huge sligthly rusty looking thing??:scared:

sashimi