Unable to cut down own trees?

Wikiposts

Unable to cut down own trees?

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

mrfrosty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unable to cut down own trees?

Hi,

I was speaking to an Australian friend who I work with and we got on to the subject of cutting down trees and she said that you have to get tree surgeons in regardless of size to cut the trees down. Can't you cut the things down yourself?

Marcus
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Flyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Unable to cut down own trees?

Originally posted by mrfrosty
Hi,

I was speaking to an Australian friend who I work with and we got on to the subject of cutting down trees and she said that you have to get tree surgeons in regardless of size to cut the trees down. Can't you cut the things down yourself?

Marcus
Hey, not sure about OZ but in NZ anything more than changing a plug requires an electrician and you want to fix the leaky ball cock - call the plumber!!! Man, I am in the wrong buisness down here!!
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:12 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

So would i not be allowed to put a new powerpoint in, or a new ceiling/wall light?

Is it illegal?
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Flyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
So would i not be allowed to put a new powerpoint in, or a new ceiling/wall light?

Is it illegal?

Yep, fitting a new powerpoint is illegal unless carried out by a qualified electrician!! I guess they have had a few accidents here!!! :scared:

Like I said though, not sure if the same rule applies in OZ - anybody know?
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah just been speaking to my friend, and she says that virtually everything you do with electric is a big no no.

Marcus
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unable to cut down own trees?

Hi,

Marcus
Probably true BUT just get an axe & do it yourself anyway!! - not that i like the idea of chopping done those wonderful trees!!
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My bloke nearly had a fit when I was talking about putting plugs on things myself. Having been taught when I left home that I needed to do things like that in order to be independent, its almost an insult now not to be allowed to do the most basic tasks when I get to Oz. No wonder so many electricians etc are getting visas!
Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
My bloke nearly had a fit when I was talking about putting plugs on things myself. Having been taught when I left home that I needed to do things like that in order to be independent, its almost an insult now not to be allowed to do the most basic tasks when I get to Oz. No wonder so many electricians etc are getting visas!
Am i missing something or being irresponsible here?.
Save yourself lots of cash and buy new plugs from "Bunnings" and change them yourself (you can buy yourself a slap up meal with the money you will save. Also i'm sure you will do as good a job as an electrician. Its only changing a plug thats all!!.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Hi Folks,

Basically I'd suggest checking with the Ciy Councils for your state.

I'd be surprised if you can't do the actual work yourself but I'd be failry sure you need permission.

Bruv works for Brisbane city council as the Tree Preservation Officer. He has just finished writing all the eviormental regulations for QLD. He has told me they have satellite photos which can highlight flora removal. As in the UK a large number of trees are covered by the equivalent of tree preservation orders and you need permission to remove them!

I will mail him and check on the QLD regs for the actual removal.

Cheers

Nick
Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Whats the rules for using soldering irons on electrical items

Marcus
Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:27 am
The Tooth Fairy

Originally posted by rajj
Am i missing something or being irresponsible here?.
Save yourself lots of cash and buy new plugs from "Bunnings" and change them yourself (you can buy yourself a slap up meal with the money you will save. Also i'm sure you will do as good a job as an electrician. Its only changing a plug thats all!!.
What the regulations intend to prevent is someone wiring the earth line to the active or neutral pin on any plug as that would result in other earthed equipment being made live with the risk of electrocution and equipment damage. No problem if you know the colour code of the three wires.

Causes of Electrical Accidents

Old Jul 24th 2003, 1:03 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Trees - you have to check with the council about cutting down trees - Big Time, native Aussie Trees over a certain height can cost you over 20,000K AUS if you fall foul of local preservation orders. Do not assume if it is on your property you can do with it as you want.

Also planning permission 'inside' a home is very important - you cannot just turn the extra room into a kitchen or things like that, it all needs to be inspected and approved. Living with some of those things at them moment. Only know NSW - lots of thing invalidate insurance etc etc. When buying check contract very carefully and if not clear ask and ask again, do not expect your solitcitor here to be that clued up to ask for you.

Cheers
Old Jul 24th 2003, 9:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by The Tooth Fairy
What the regulations intend to prevent is someone wiring the earth line to the active or neutral pin on any plug as that would result in other earthed equipment being made live with the risk of electrocution and equipment damage. No problem if you know the colour code of the three wires.
This is ridiculous. If you need to do any electrical work in your own house & feel confident enough then just go ahead & do it, who's going to know?. Just use basic common sense. Anyone should be able to rewire a plug. Are we heading for the ultimate nanny state?.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 9:24 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Whats the rules for using soldering irons on electrical items

Marcus

Make sure the soldering iron is hot enough to melt the solder.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

You know its hot enough when it burns through your mouse mat.

Marcus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.