British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   UK vs Australia for childrens' futures (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-vs-australia-childrens-futures-792792/)

Grayling Apr 12th 2013 7:53 am

Re: UK vs Australia for childrens' futures

Originally Posted by new-leaf (Post 10654883)
At the University where I work, international students are not heavily marked on there ability to use English, if you can understand the paper, then its acceptable.

This ruling has been handed down due to the high population of international students and by 2015 they will out number native students. There was a situation in 2011, international students were constantly marked down for poor English and grammar, this translated into less international students applying for 2012 and as such the ruling was introduced.

Most of the students I've noticed moving up, generally suffer from pretty huge shock when they hit University level education, they have been helped and hand held so much during there previous education that when they have to do things for them selves, they really struggle and are constantly asking for "exam questions" and/or help that I can not provide them.

Same as here then

chris955 Apr 12th 2013 8:05 am

Im intrigued by the classes of 40-50 kids to be honest. There are 20 odd in our boys classes. I cant imagine 40 or 50 in a class would be common would it?

Grayling Apr 12th 2013 8:08 am

At the University where I work, international students are not heavily marked on there ability to use English

Good job you are not either:rofl:

new-leaf Apr 12th 2013 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 10654924)
Good job you are not either:rofl:

:rofl:

This is the internet, I couldn't careless :)

new-leaf Apr 12th 2013 8:17 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 10654916)
Im intrigued by the classes of 40-50 kids to be honest. There are 20 odd in our boys classes. I cant imagine 40 or 50 in a class would be common would it?

I've just been in contact with a school not far from me this morning who have three year 4 classes of 42 children.

Grayling Apr 12th 2013 8:18 am

Originally Posted by new-leaf (Post 10654932)

Did you mean 'care less' or 'careless'?:rofl:

new-leaf Apr 12th 2013 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 10654934)
Did you mean 'care less' or 'careless'?:rofl:

You choose. :lol:

Almo Apr 12th 2013 10:35 am

At the University where I work, international students are not heavily marked on there ability to use English, if you can understand the paper, then its acceptable.

This ruling has been handed down due to the high population of international students and by 2015 they will out number native students. There was a situation in 2011, international students were constantly marked down for poor English and grammar, this translated into less international students applying for 2012 and as such the ruling was introduced.

We are also asked to not strictly enforce English spelling and grammar during marking of 1st-3rd year degree students, so most of the time we end up with an essay that in my opinion is terrible English, but we can't mark them down for it.

For example I had a young girl who had just completed her 2nd year experiment. When I was marking it, she had spelled the title wrong, couldn't spell Psychology (Among others), was in a completely awful format and suggested that a flaw in her experiment was people were sat on swivel chairs and it could have distracted them during the experiment.

Most of the students I've noticed moving up, generally suffer from pretty huge shock when they hit University level education, they have been helped and hand held so much during there previous education that when they have to do things for them selves, they really struggle and are constantly asking for "exam questions" and/or help that I can not provide them.

This is a University that requires 4 A's at A-Level and in the top 15 UK wide.

Again this is my observation of the past 3 years of teaching and marking.

Originally Posted by new-leaf (Post 10654932)

I often write carelessly on the internet; I don't pay too much attention to structuring sentences as carefully as I might in a more formal setting. To me, though, there's a big difference between choosing to write more elegantly in a particular register and mixing up 'there' and 'their'.

I wouldn't usually pick someone up about it on an internet forum, but if you're lamenting the standard of English at your university... :p

new-leaf Apr 12th 2013 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Almo (Post 10655082)
I often write carelessly on the internet; I don't pay too much attention to structuring sentences as carefully as I might in a more formal setting. To me, though, there's a big difference between choosing to write more elegantly in a particular register and mixing up 'there' and 'their'.

I wouldn't usually pick someone up about it on an internet forum, but if you're lamenting the standard of English at your university... :p

Christ, I had no idea this was a grammar and spelling test.

Next time I'll make sure I'm double spacing and correctly formatting my sentences.

The pedantry going on is ludicrous. Correcting peoples grammar and spelling is generally a sign that you have nothing left to contribute to a discussion.

Grayling Apr 12th 2013 11:39 am

Originally Posted by new-leaf (Post 10655155)

Next time I'll make sure I'm double spacing and correctly formatting my sentences.

The pedantry going on is ludicrous. Correcting peoples grammar and spelling is generally a sign that you have nothing left to contribute to a discussion.

Err!.....You were the one who commented on the standard of English among students at your university......bit hypocritical of you don't you think?

Almo Apr 12th 2013 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by new-leaf (Post 10655155)

It's not a test, and as I said I wouldn't normally mention it. In fact, I've never pulled anyone up about grammar and spelling on an internet forum before. You wrote a long post about the poor standards of English at your university though, what did you expect?

chris955 Apr 12th 2013 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by new-leaf (Post 10654933)
I've just been in contact with a school not far from me this morning who have three year 4 classes of 42 children.

Well I have no doubt they exist, our boys were in a class of close to 50 in Brisbane, they had 2 teachers in the class but it was often chaos because of the numbers and having 2 teachers talking over eachother with the 2 groups. I much prefer the small classes.

Zen10 Apr 12th 2013 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 10655590)
Well I have no doubt they exist, our boys were in a class of close to 50 in Brisbane, they had 2 teachers in the class but it was often chaos because of the numbers and having 2 teachers talking over eachother with the 2 groups. I much prefer the small classes.

When I was at school in England it was common to have class sizes of about 35 to 40. IIRC the overall school size was about 700.

BadgeIsBack Apr 12th 2013 11:12 pm

I think it's a bit sh*t to be too pedantic about spelling on an internet forum.

I would look at the overall text to gauge someone's literacy. I think it's clear that university standards are in decline.

In any case, angry people on the internet tend to have worn keyboards and space bars...:p

Pollyana Apr 13th 2013 7:09 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 10656141)
I think it's a bit sh*t to be too pedantic about spelling on an internet forum.

I would look at the overall text to gauge someone's literacy. I think it's clear that university standards are in decline.

In any case, angry people on the internet tend to have worn keyboards and space bars...:p

It is also off-putting to many posters to find their posts criticised for the way they are written rather than the content. Lots of people are just generally less literate than others - and for many this is their first contact with any kind of public/internet writing. They are looking for help, and while its one thing for us "old lags" to bicker about grammar and spelling and can make us out as rather unfriendly to the newbies.

It can be beneficial at times - some of the non-native English speakers in particular do appreciate hints on language improvement, but its probably best done in a softer way rather than as a lecture!

Then you've got all the basic reasons for bad typing - my own is being too lazy to put my glasses on when typing on the iphone! We have dodgy keyboards, sticky keys, typing in a hurry, and simply not proof-reading before posting. Its not an English exam after all, and lets be honest if the majority of us were actually writing reports etc at work then we would be producing something in a very different style and manner from that which comes up when on a social media outlet :)

Having said that - its clear from browsing other forums that the standard on BE overall is oretty high in comparison!