Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK V'S Australia

UK V'S Australia

Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:38 am
Just Joined

jayjacobrobyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK V'S Australia

Hi, Just need some advice! I am contemplating returning to Australia but I am worried that I may not settle . I am quite a quiet type and last time I did not mix with other people this led to me feeling really lonely. I have made a decision that if I do return I will try my upmost to get out and about, join groups, activities so that the loneliness doesn't creep in!.
My two children live in Australia ( Melbourne and Hobart) and my youngest has now decided that she is to return with her boyfriend . So if I stay in the UK my children are all in Australia!!
Are there plenty of clubs/groups for older people ( 40 to 50 year olds)
I plan to go to main land this time -to settle in Melbourne
Any info would be grately appreciated.
:unsure
Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice
Default Re: UK V'S Australia

If you can afford to live in Australia, there are plenty of opportunities for social interaction. Here, 50 is not considered old (e.g. must be 55 to buy an apartment in a seniors' block or go to a seniors' social club).

Some ways to meet people in the city are: go to church, do volunteer work, join a local club (dancing, singing, swimming, chess or something that interests you), cultivate an allotment, get a part-time job.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 6:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayjacobrobyn
Hi, Just need some advice! I am contemplating returning to Australia but I am worried that I may not settle . I am quite a quiet type and last time I did not mix with other people this led to me feeling really lonely. I have made a decision that if I do return I will try my upmost to get out and about, join groups, activities so that the loneliness doesn't creep in!.
My two children live in Australia ( Melbourne and Hobart) and my youngest has now decided that she is to return with her boyfriend . So if I stay in the UK my children are all in Australia!!
Are there plenty of clubs/groups for older people ( 40 to 50 year olds)
I plan to go to main land this time -to settle in Melbourne
Any info would be grately appreciated.
:unsure
Do you already have a visa /citizenship sorted?
Old Mar 25th 2013, 8:27 am
Just Joined

jayjacobrobyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I do have a visa which actually runs out in October 2013. So I have a lot to think about and a lot to do in a short time!
Old Mar 25th 2013, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Do you really want to live in Australia or is it just because your kids happen to be there? Personally I would never follow my kids around the world (but thats just me), they may stay put, they may not and once they have flown the nest is the time to be doing what you want with your life. Where do you have the best social network? Which place is going to offer you the best out of your life? You can still get together for holidays!

Personally I found Australia to be really quite ageist - getting a job over 50 gets exponentially harder. Activities for the over 50s - hmm, nothing I particularly wanted to be part of (going to the club and playing the pokies has zero appeal LOL). If you do go, check out groups that meet based on your interests - knitting groups have been great for me getting reestablished back here in UK. You could also volunteer to get yourself into the community - Lifeline, SES, Red Cross etc

Good luck!