UK v Aus

Old Mar 30th 2003, 5:44 pm
Moose on the Move

moosifer is an unknown quantity at this point

>>The status symbol here is to have a European car. Never mind that it costs double what it did in Europe or thousands of bucks if it needs a spare part, its all so you can pull up in the carpark looking flash.

Brilliant! So my totally debt free Lotus Elise which will be the only one ever imported in Aus with the spec I've got will drive all my neighbours into bankruptcy as they try to go "one up" on me and let me buy up their property cheap. I'll own Melbourne in five years god dammit! Australia will be mine, ALL MINE *cue maniacal laughter*

If people do feel the need to "keep up with the Joneses" then more fool them - you never really see the full picture of someone else's life and if they feel that owning a few possessions makes them feel better then maybe I'd suggest they have something lacking in their own life that needs to be addressed.

I've basically thrown all my money at my car but in return it means I can't take expensive holidays, my furniture is all cheap, and a meal out involves a pizza and a couple of diet cokes!

If other people wish to reduce consumption of the things that make them happy to be on a par with me for the car, so be it, but I suspect the misery they'll obtain from not having the things they want in order to have something on a par with what I want (ie the car) will make them more unhappy than if they'd concentrated on their own lives.

I'll never be unhappy with my lifestyle choices just to impress my neighbours, more fool those who are.
Old Mar 31st 2003, 12:31 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
I did loosely reply to that as 'I have no complaints'. I am not as wise on the ways of the world as you appear to be PB and I don't pretend to be either. But as a country that appears to be wanting more people to move here and with so many people wanting to move here, wouldn't it make more sense to insist on skilled migrants? At least my kids seem to be getting a good start in their education, what will happen later on no one knows, although we are in the catchment area of a very good high school too, so we may be lucky there too. at least they have the option to go back to the UK themselves if they wanted to later on.
But like you have always said, we have only been here for a year so can't really say whether it will suit us in the future but for now we are enjoying life and everyone is happy, hubby has a good job and the kids are in a good school and are happy and we hope it will stay this way for many years. You never know PB I might be posting on here in a few years and moaning just like you!! (just being light hearted there).

There is only one thing that annoys me about this country and that is the amount of Mcdonalds, BK, KFC's they have here. On the way to one of the kids activities (which is a 20min drive) I can count 4 Mcdonalds and 2 KFC's. What worries me most is that 2 of the Mcdonalds are on the 'school route' so you see crowds of teenagers sitting outside eating their chips and big macs! No wonder a lot of children are overweight here! I wonder if their parents know they are wasting their hard earnt money!

There you go PB I have had my first moan!!lol!!!

Mandy

They say that more people are required because of a low birth rate plus large number of skilled leaving the country in order to get better employment.
The fact remains there is not enough employment for those who wish to work now and bring in skilled people gives youth less chance of finding work.
Any country that puts Hairdressers on the top of its list of skilled visas is not one I wish to live in .
You are correct about the fast food joints why any country could need so many is beyond me , its not the kind of food that gives an healthy lifestyle.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Mar 31st 2003 at 12:46 am.
Old Mar 31st 2003, 12:40 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by boots
Just needed my laugh again this week and PB,Dotty,Captain Cook and other sheep that follow their defeatist bleatings havn't let me down.
?

You will make a fine immigrant I give you less than a year for you to open your eyes to the great Australian lie , I am not a defeatist by any means 9 years is a long time in any place and far too long here.
This place lives on sheep it attracts them in order to keep it going and breeds them in vast numbers , though the grazing is poor and the meat has no taste ( I mean the people).
You have no idea about the aussies but you sound a prat anyway so come and get an education then reprint your views .
PS why do Brits stick up for Aussies when they dislike the Brits so much , get up off your knees otherwise you will gain no respect here.

Old Mar 31st 2003, 3:53 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by pommie bastard
You will make a fine immigrant I give you less than a year for you to open your eyes to the great Australian lie , I am not a defeatist by any means 9 years is a long time in any place and far too long here.
This place lives on sheep it attracts them in order to keep it going and breeds them in vast numbers , though the grazing is poor and the meat has no taste ( I mean the people).
You have no idea about the aussies but you sound a prat anyway so come and get an education then reprint your views .
PS why do Brits stick up for Aussies when they dislike the Brits so much , get up off your knees otherwise you will gain no respect here.

Have you considered that Boots might be a non-Brit doing some boot scooting?
Old Mar 31st 2003, 4:08 am
Banned

Originally posted by Megalania
Have you considered that Boots might be a non-Brit doing some boot scooting?

Yes Pal but I was bored seems you are too , my golf got buggered up because of the thunder storms on Saturday and Sunday in Perth not in the best of humour .
Nice to hear your lads are on traffic duty in Iraq , whats SAS stand for in Australia "Stop And Smile?".

Old Mar 31st 2003, 4:16 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Nice to hear your lads are on traffic duty in Iraq , whats SAS stand for in Australia "Stop And Smile?".

We can hope it to be so, will need a few friends in the region to counteract the enemies being made.
Old Mar 31st 2003, 4:40 am
Banned

We can hope it to be so, will need a few friends in the region to counteract the enemies being made.
I can understand why you sent so few to Iraq , them Yanks kill friend or foe its better to have small groups away from the action than get anywhere near them .
Sod-Them has killed less of our boys then the Yanks , makes you wonder whos side we should be on.

'A BRITISH corporal yesterday blasted the American pilot who killed one of his pals as “a cowboy� who “had gone out on a jolly�.

Old Mar 31st 2003, 4:46 am
Banned

I can understand why you sent so few to Iraq , them Yanks kill friend or foe its better to have small groups away from the action than get anywhere near them .
Sod-Them has killed less of our boys then the Yanks , makes you wonder whos side we should be on.

'A BRITISH corporal yesterday blasted the American pilot who killed one of his pals as “a cowboy� who “had gone out on a jolly�.

They've got the Kurds worried as well, stay away from the operational areas. Aussie learnt to dress up proper.
Old Mar 31st 2003, 4:52 am
Banned

They've got the Kurds worried as well, stay away from the operational areas. Aussie learnt to dress up proper.
Your lads are used to naturist life dressing up can not come easy after training at Swanbourne Beach .
The Turds are a bit of a worry will jump anyway that suits theres no winners in this mess.

http://www.worldwidenudismnaturism.c...swanbourne.htm

Old Mar 31st 2003, 7:00 am
Banned

Your lads are used to naturist life dressing up can not come easy after training at Swanbourne Beach .
The Turds are a bit of a worry will jump anyway that suits theres no winners in this mess.

http://www.worldwidenudismnaturism.c...swanbourne.htm

No good on the nudie beach? Competition to fierce?

How's the handicap?

I think the gunsmiths will do well for a while yet.
Old Mar 31st 2003, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen a few Lotus Elise in Australia - they are imported in very limited numbers by prestige dealers. Theres a garage in the Gold Coast currently selling a new one for c.$80,000 so more expensive than UK - they advertise in the Saturday paper. In Brisbane CBD theres a couple knocking around so exclusive but not unique here i'm afraid. Great car though !

Originally posted by moosifer
>>The status symbol here is to have a European car. Never mind that it costs double what it did in Europe or thousands of bucks if it needs a spare part, its all so you can pull up in the carpark looking flash.

Brilliant! So my totally debt free Lotus Elise which will be the only one ever imported in Aus with the spec I've got will drive all my neighbours into bankruptcy as they try to go "one up" on me and let me buy up their property cheap. I'll own Melbourne in five years god dammit! Australia will be mine, ALL MINE *cue maniacal laughter*

If people do feel the need to "keep up with the Joneses" then more fool them - you never really see the full picture of someone else's life and if they feel that owning a few possessions makes them feel better then maybe I'd suggest they have something lacking in their own life that needs to be addressed.

I've basically thrown all my money at my car but in return it means I can't take expensive holidays, my furniture is all cheap, and a meal out involves a pizza and a couple of diet cokes!

If other people wish to reduce consumption of the things that make them happy to be on a par with me for the car, so be it, but I suspect the misery they'll obtain from not having the things they want in order to have something on a par with what I want (ie the car) will make them more unhappy than if they'd concentrated on their own lives.

I'll never be unhappy with my lifestyle choices just to impress my neighbours, more fool those who are.
Old Mar 31st 2003, 9:44 am
Moose on the Move

moosifer is an unknown quantity at this point

captaincook - i know a few people who own elises already in Aus but I don't think anyone's taken in the variant I've got
Old Mar 31st 2003, 10:33 pm
Banned

No good on the nudie beach? Competition to fierce?

How's the handicap?

I think the gunsmiths will do well for a while yet.
Stay clear of the nudie beach me bits burn too easy , Nice to hear on the Aussie news that only Yanks/Brits are getting killed and your lads are doing well keeping out of the way of any ground fighting .