UK v Aus

Old Mar 28th 2003, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by pommie bastard
I do not disagree schooling varies everywhere including the UK , but having come back on most of my post you left out an answer to the quote

"having seen the product of this great idea I understand why given high unemployment here they need skilled immigration."

The UK does not cry out for skilled immigration in most areas as does Australia and its unemployment is only 1% less than Australia , youth unemployment a lot less .
After the great education given here why import people to do jobs that locals should fill? and in a lot of cases employers here prefer Poms.

I did loosely reply to that as 'I have no complaints'. I am not as wise on the ways of the world as you appear to be PB and I don't pretend to be either. But as a country that appears to be wanting more people to move here and with so many people wanting to move here, wouldn't it make more sense to insist on skilled migrants? At least my kids seem to be getting a good start in their education, what will happen later on no one knows, although we are in the catchment area of a very good high school too, so we may be lucky there too. at least they have the option to go back to the UK themselves if they wanted to later on.
But like you have always said, we have only been here for a year so can't really say whether it will suit us in the future but for now we are enjoying life and everyone is happy, hubby has a good job and the kids are in a good school and are happy and we hope it will stay this way for many years. You never know PB I might be posting on here in a few years and moaning just like you!! (just being light hearted there).

There is only one thing that annoys me about this country and that is the amount of Mcdonalds, BK, KFC's they have here. On the way to one of the kids activities (which is a 20min drive) I can count 4 Mcdonalds and 2 KFC's. What worries me most is that 2 of the Mcdonalds are on the 'school route' so you see crowds of teenagers sitting outside eating their chips and big macs! No wonder a lot of children are overweight here! I wonder if their parents know they are wasting their hard earnt money!

There you go PB I have had my first moan!!lol!!!

Mandy
Old Mar 28th 2003, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

mx5rabbitohs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK v Aus

Originally posted by Herman
OH PLEASE!

For us, having lived in both the UK and Aus, a typical weekend in both places would be:

Friday Night:
Aus
Drinks/meal with work colleagues
UK
Drinks/meal with work colleagues

Saturday
Aus
One in every three Saturdays I usually have to spend the day at work. (Once in a blue moon in the UK). If not working - go for a long walk, usually lathered up in sun cream, dragging 4 litres of water behind us. Visit the fish market, go to the supermarket. Saturday evening - a party/bbq with superficial and temporary friends, moderate levels of fun.

UK
Go for a long walk in the lovely countryside you lucky people have access to. Go and watch my brother play football. Go to the excellent supermarket. Go out with lifelong friends for a tremendously fun and relaxed night out. Every third weekend we fly to the Czech Republic on the dirt cheap flights you lucky people in the UK have access to where we enjoy the hospitality of my wife's family and friends. Once every 2 months we have a weekend in Nice or Naples or Barcelona or......

Sunday
UK
Go swimming or play badminton in morning. Drive to one of the excellent country pubs you lucky people in the UK have access to for lunch with the family or lunch at mums with everyone there. Afternoon walk in the lovely country you lucky people in the UK have access to, or or go shopping in the outstanding shops you lucky people in the UK enjoy. Evening have friends round or visit friends or more usually relax at either my brothers or my parents with a video and a nice bottle of French red wine that you lucky people in the UK have access to.

Aus
Go swimming in the morning. Visit the beach later if its not too hot/too windy/too overcast - about 4 sundays this entire summer. Otherwise wander around aimlessly trying to find things to do, go to a cafe for lunch, feel homesick for the family and call them in the evening, fill the evening with playing Board (or is it Bored) games and cards because Aussie TV will make you want to take a sledgehammer to your Sony Trinitron.

HONESTLY, I dont want to put people off from coming here, but if you come here with the kind of drivel I read here in your mind, boy oh boy you will be bitter and twisted about the whole experience!. Our life here NOT some kind of paradise. Yes its nice to visit the beach, no you cant do it every weekend and the novelty soon wears off anyway. Yes the weather is warmer, no this does not automatically mean you are able to 'do more' - try going for a long country walk here, its an absolute KILLER. Yes we have made friends here, many of them, NO none of them can replace 25 year old friendships or family. Yes there is nice countryside in Australia, NO its not as accessible as in the UK. Yes there are nice places to visit in Australia, NO there are not enough hours in the weekend or dollars in the bank to get to these picture postcard places.

Ah well, three weeks to go until we get back to our wonderful fantastic lives in the UK.
I think the reality of these posts should make the dreamers think - well done everyone. It's true - if you have a famly - it takes hours to get the kids ready - I am migrating partly for the reasons of the Aussie people - laid back, the lifestyle I want and can have etc, not because I want to spend all my time on the beach. I think Brits place too much emphasis on hot weather. I like aussie winters because they are like the weather we have now in UK - cool - but bright and sunny. You get bored with wearing t-shirts and shorts all week in Aus.

I disagree with aussies being boring - yes they can be too laid back, but at least they are not up themselves, or snobby, or intense, or negative or whingy. give me an aussie black sense of humour any day, rather than a bunch of middle class, uptight gits, rat race types that I've noticed all my mates have become over here since I got back to UK!!

There are too many dreamers out there.

i'm not that fussed with beaches anyhow..

also, i cannot afford to live in areas in the UK where there are nice houses /countryside owing to the housing boom
Old Mar 28th 2003, 10:43 pm
Moose on the Move

moosifer is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont know if Aus is the same, but I have lived in London for three years and I have to say it's probably the most horrible place ever to live. It's built around "I've got more money than you" which is great if you like to lavish yourself with pointless goods, and lousy if you want to enjoy your own life rather than spend it comparing yourself to others.

I've had my current house for 18 months and I don't know the name of a single person in my street, sure I say hello to them but god only knows what they're called. It's unfriendly, it's "me me me" and it's quite frankly shite!

I'm not expecting Aus to be a paradise (I'm aracnophobic for one thing!) but from my point of view it can't be worse than London. I don't care about material wealth, I don't care how rich everyone else is. I want to enjoy what *I* have and I hope that Melbourne will provide me with that.
Old Mar 29th 2003, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry buts its the same here. Buy a new car and within a few weeks the rest of the street have new cars. Build a pool and the within a few weeks the rest of the street are building pools. Kids go to private schools more often here and thats not only to get away from poor public education but also to get one up on workmates and neighbours.

Oz is not classless and class is thriving here but not in the UK sense more the US sense i.e. money talks and bullshit walks. I've never experienced so much one up man ship. The old school network is thriving, the mateship networks are huge, the corruption in government is an eye opener. Its at every level of society here but you have to appear to all be the same and good old down to earth aussies whilst at the same time being better and different from your friends and neighbours. Its the ozzie contradiction that other westerners cannot follow and its probably the most difficult to understand and grasp. You can say and act one way but do another - a hypocrit in UK but a good ozzie in Australia.

You may not care about how rich anyone else is but i'm afraid every Australian will care and will want to try and prove how much better off they are then you. Don't let it be a surprise when you have those first few conversations with so called neighbours and work colleagues and they suddenly say "yes we have this huge house its unbelievable" and you think did they just so that in the middle of a what you thought was a nice civil conversation. They are competitive and you being a pom if they cannot be better then their other neighbours they have to be better than you even if they have to lie to do it.

On another point the UK lady who got told by the Ozzie teacher how behind her kids were from UK. I've not yet met an Ozzie that is capable of giving an honest answer to such questions. Asked how a young brit lad is doing at an oz school after say six months I would guarantee 99% of oz teachers would say the same because he is a brit and they have to be better than uk at all costs. The truth does'nt come into it and your sons well being does'nt come into it either. This simple honest genuine question from a concerned british mum to her son's new teacher stumbles into a hotbed of patriotism and the answer is more a question of national pride than reality.

Originally posted by moosifer
I dont know if Aus is the same, but I have lived in London for three years and I have to say it's probably the most horrible place ever to live. It's built around "I've got more money than you" which is great if you like to lavish yourself with pointless goods, and lousy if you want to enjoy your own life rather than spend it comparing yourself to others.

I've had my current house for 18 months and I don't know the name of a single person in my street, sure I say hello to them but god only knows what they're called. It's unfriendly, it's "me me me" and it's quite frankly shite!

I'm not expecting Aus to be a paradise (I'm aracnophobic for one thing!) but from my point of view it can't be worse than London. I don't care about material wealth, I don't care how rich everyone else is. I want to enjoy what *I* have and I hope that Melbourne will provide me with that.

Last edited by captaincook; Mar 29th 2003 at 1:05 am.
Old Mar 29th 2003, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I know mums here who take their kids out on late night shopping night still wearing their Private school uniforms. Why its just plain snobbery, just to show the kids go to that school.

The status symbol here is to have a European car. Never mind that it costs double what it did in Europe or thousands of bucks if it needs a spare part, its all so you can pull up in the carpark looking flash.

For those who cant afford the car its the European Oven, all the old models from Europe are shipped out so Aussie women can brag about the Bosch appliance.

Just the same here as anywhere else, particulary where schools are concerned. Lots of oneupmanship, funny part is the aussies I know who are really well off usually send the kids to State Schools and drive old bangers. If you see a flash car here its some idiot with a big debt payment to make at the end of the month.
Old Mar 29th 2003, 1:14 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dotty
I know mums here who take their kids out on late night shopping night still wearing their Private school uniforms. Why its just plain snobbery, just to show the kids go to that school.

The status symbol here is to have a European car. Never mind that it costs double what it did in Europe or thousands of bucks if it needs a spare part, its all so you can pull up in the carpark looking flash.

For those who cant afford the car its the European Oven, all the old models from Europe are shipped out so Aussie women can brag about the Bosch appliance.

Just the same here as anywhere else, particulary where schools are concerned. Lots of oneupmanship, funny part is the aussies I know who are really well off usually send the kids to State Schools and drive old bangers. If you see a flash car here its some idiot with a big debt payment to make at the end of the month.
Good one Dotty,

Perhaps in business you have to associate with Conspicuous Consumers. I feel fortunate I do not.

The way I see it, modern Western Culture is built on the Peacock Principal, "I Have Bigger, Shinier, Brighter more Colourful feathers than You AND I pull more PeaHens too ". I call them "Marketing Victims" because its easier to sell them superflous trinkets.

Maybe there is a point to it but not one I can easily see or appreciate. My preference, beyond the basics is science, rational understanding the world.
Old Mar 29th 2003, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

boots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud of

Just needed my laugh again this week and PB,Dotty,Captain Cook and other sheep that follow their defeatist bleatings havn't let me down.
I can not fathom on how you continue to catergorise all "Aussies" as thick,lazy,rascist,dull and the rest of your superior drivel that you heap on Australia and Australians,whilst if any one dare to offer otherwise you all unite as one (sounding like broken records)I am British,We hate Australia,People worship Me/Us,Life/Food was better in Liverpool or whatever grey grimy hole that you have escaped from.
Could it be the green eyed monster is so domineering in your pathetic lives that all you can resort to is name calling and taking the attitude of being superior?
Yes yes the other sheep will be cutting and pasting this post with the adding on of their 1 or 2 sentences that support P Brain,Dopey and Captain Crook and I will be shaking in my boots a/c I have dared to question a British subject.
If I moved to Bangladesh it would seem just a bit wise to research the country instead of landing there and then moaning about how the people are not as"Good" as me,they are backwards because they dont have red buses,serve fish n chips,they dont bow down to me as I walk by etc moan etc bitch etc.
It is in whatever enviroment you are in,what you make of it.
What is British culture??I give up because obviously Australia doesnt have any snivelling little weak minded people that go on and on about how drinking a cup of tea makes them high and mighty.Whilst then babbling on about the countries in the past that have been raped and looted in the name of Britain and when it got just a bit hot the British ran home with their tails behind their legs.
The ramblings of how the beach life,its hot,theres too much sand,its crowded has an easy solution for all sooks -DONT GO!
Schooling-I give up,no use explaing to the ignorant.
Did you come to Australia to enhance your complaining skills after everyone back in merry old England wouldn't tolerate your whinging and put downs of those percieved as lower than your selves?
Old Mar 29th 2003, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

NinaU is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty

This is so true - EVERYWHERE in the world. It is the same everywhere - not just Oz and UK. I just feel sorry for such people who succumb to this 'peer' pressure.
Most of my colleagues drive 4WDs, BMWs and Mercs - yet some of them can barely afford one, send their kids to the most expensive school (not necessarily the best), get the latest Nokia mobile (they don't even know or use 90% of its features!!) , music sys, latest tv etc etc. SAD.
I would rather save and have a healthy bank balance - than go spending more money than I earn - in order to to prove something to the next door neighbours.
And I hope my children learn from us - and they don't fall into this rat race.

Nina
Old Mar 29th 2003, 4:36 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pickletheplacid
Aus
Sunset beach bbq - midnight ocean swim - drunken fishing spree -dawn bathed walk home.
I'd be careful with the midnight ocean swim and the dawn bathing, in Perth anyway. That's prime shark feeding time. You don't see locals in the sea at those times, well apart from that bloke the other year bleeding to death at Cottesloe with only one leg remaining.

There's plenty of tigers and great whites around here.

Dan
Old Mar 29th 2003, 5:34 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by boots
Just needed my laugh again this week and PB,Dotty,Captain Cook and other sheep that follow their defeatist bleatings havn't let me down.
I can not fathom on how you continue to catergorise all "Aussies" as thick,lazy,rascist,dull and the rest of your superior drivel that you heap on Australia and Australians,whilst if any one dare to offer otherwise you all unite as one (sounding like broken records)I am British,We hate Australia,People worship Me/Us,Life/Food was better in Liverpool or whatever grey grimy hole that you have escaped from.
Could it be the green eyed monster is so domineering in your pathetic lives that all you can resort to is name calling and taking the attitude of being superior?
Yes yes the other sheep will be cutting and pasting this post with the adding on of their 1 or 2 sentences that support P Brain,Dopey and Captain Crook and I will be shaking in my boots a/c I have dared to question a British subject.
If I moved to Bangladesh it would seem just a bit wise to research the country instead of landing there and then moaning about how the people are not as"Good" as me,they are backwards because they dont have red buses,serve fish n chips,they dont bow down to me as I walk by etc moan etc bitch etc.
It is in whatever enviroment you are in,what you make of it.
What is British culture??I give up because obviously Australia doesnt have any snivelling little weak minded people that go on and on about how drinking a cup of tea makes them high and mighty.Whilst then babbling on about the countries in the past that have been raped and looted in the name of Britain and when it got just a bit hot the British ran home with their tails behind their legs.
The ramblings of how the beach life,its hot,theres too much sand,its crowded has an easy solution for all sooks -DONT GO!
Schooling-I give up,no use explaing to the ignorant.
Did you come to Australia to enhance your complaining skills after everyone back in merry old England wouldn't tolerate your whinging and put downs of those percieved as lower than your selves?

I must say that I find generalisations the most despicable and disagreeable form of debate. And those who persist in using this for of debate are...2 down...

despicable and disagreeable...see also 8 across
Old Mar 29th 2003, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

joebloggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pickletheplacid
Saturday evening
UK
Smoky pub sprawl - sweaty flu nightclub - suspicious chicken curry - cold slumber walk home.

Aus
Sunset beach bbq - midnight ocean swim - drunken fishing spree -dawn bathed walk home.

Sunday
UK
Sleep till 10am - fry up/ watch TV till 2pm - watch the rain pour down till 3pm - visit corner shop, stuff face full of chocolate till 4pm - start on some cheap French table wine till bed.

Aus
Wake up at 8am - tropical fruit/ get organized for the beach till 9am - sunbath, sail, swim, fish till 4pm - bbq till 8pm - finish off fruity Australian Chardonnay till bed.

Anyone on the same wave length as me with this.

pickletheplacid
Boy are you in a for a reality check when you get to Oz...
Old Mar 29th 2003, 5:57 am
Not here

Originally posted by joebloggs
Boy are you in a for a reality check when you get to Oz...
Lived here most of my life...and you...???
Old Mar 29th 2003, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

joebloggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Florida_03
Lived here most of my life...and you...???

spent a few years in perth...(Oz, not scotland)
Old Mar 29th 2003, 6:12 am
Not here

Originally posted by joebloggs
spent a few years in perth...(Oz, not scotland)
Don't get me wrong...I like reality...what I don't like is a comment by a poster that is (in reality) specific to their experience..but general in its effect...it adds no value...
Old Mar 29th 2003, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Florida_03
I must say that I find generalisations the most despicable and disagreeable form of debate. And those who persist in using this for of debate are...2 down...

despicable and disagreeable...see also 8 across
I totally agree with you there, generalisation helps no one, everyone experiences things differently and everyone is different. What other people or places seem like is entirely in the perception of the person observing them. The only way to find out if a particular place or people suit you is to go out there and try it for yourself without being led by anyone else's opinion. We moved here as we wanted to leave England and experience another country but didn't want it to be too different so Australia was a good option for us. And we have found it not to be so different just less crowded and less stressful (in our view), which suits us fine as we feel we have bettered our life a bit.

Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.