Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK TV in Perth - Needs modifications.

UK TV in Perth - Needs modifications.

Old Feb 11th 2006, 12:31 pm
Karma to make me calmer!

Tops has a spectacular aura aboutTops has a spectacular aura aboutTops has a spectacular aura about
Default UK TV in Perth - Needs modifications.

Hi all,

Although it was not recommended to ship the telly, I still did as it did not cost any extra and is a very nice big one! ;-)

Now I have the problem of it not receiving any Oz TV signal. I did read sometime back that it can be modified to pick up a TV signal. I have tried plugging in my Sky digibox but that does not get an Uz signal either.

Would a Oz set-top box work?
Scart leads are not used here, very odd...

If this is the case, has anyone had this done in Perth? If so, could you recommend a place or service that does it.

Ta,

Tops.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

birchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant future
Default Re: UK TV in Perth - Needs modifications.

Originally Posted by Tops
Hi all,

Although it was not recommended to ship the telly, I still did as it did not cost any extra and is a very nice big one! ;-)

Now I have the problem of it not receiving any Oz TV signal. I did read sometime back that it can be modified to pick up a TV signal. I have tried plugging in my Sky digibox but that does not get an Uz signal either.

If this is the case, has anyone had this done in Perth? If so, could you recommend a place or service that does it.

Ta,

Tops.
hi tops
i have read on here before that if you put the signal cable into the video and then watch the tv through the video output this works.

worth a try

let me know how you get on I will have the same problem

steve
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:05 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Tops.
Scart is a European standard - Used to be called Euroconnector or similar. Most other places us a set of three composite leads. You should be able to get a composite to scart converter. Not sure where in Oz, but they are very cheap in Asda if you can get someone to send one out to you.

S
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

WEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant future

Hi all,

Ta,

Tops.
Tops,

Some tv's can be easily changed over to pick up the Oz tv signal. Usually the picture is fine but sound is just squelch...something to do with the bandwidth of the signal? It was going to cost us $200 to convert our tv so we bought a cheap oz video and routed our aerial cable through the video and then into the tv via the av cable and it works fine. I've been told that as long as you route everything(video,terrestrial and digital tv) through an AV socket then your UK tv will work fine.

Peter
Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:07 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Scart is a European standard - Used to be called Euroconnector or similar. Most other places us a set of three composite leads. You should be able to get a composite to scart converter. Not sure where in Oz, but they are very cheap in Asda if you can get someone to send one out to you.

S
Scart cables can be bought in places like Dick Smiths. Some TV's here also have Scart sockets, even though it is supposed to be European. I thought it odd that one of my TV's bought here had two scart sockets.

Going via an OZ set top box will work, but a UK one generally won't, same problem as the TV.

Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:16 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Just for clarification

You should be able to get PICTURES - if youcannot then you have not connected aerial or tuned in TV properly

You MAY not be able to get sound

In the menu for setup TV look for a PAL setting or the Letter I or B or G and see if you can change them - thats the key to the sound, UK is one of htese letters Aussie is one of the others...

Also on the Setup look for international or country menus - they may have one that works

All you need is some box that takes Sound / Picture and puts it out onto the Scart / RGB cables since they dont use the 'tuner' inside the TV - they use the 'AV' direct input. So an aussie VCR an aussie Set Top Box an Aussie Foxtel box - any will work . Any UK device is useless.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 12:45 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spalen
You should be able to get PICTURES - if youcannot then you have not connected aerial or tuned in TV properly

You MAY not be able to get sound

We had the same kind of problem when we came back to the Uk with our tv that we bought in Perth. Good picture but no sound. Scrapped it in the end as there was nothing anyone could do.