Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK tax return, help please!

UK tax return, help please!

Old Jun 3rd 2003, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK tax return, help please!

Since emigrating July 2002 and having promptly received a tax refund, we weren't expecting to hear again from the I.R. but have received a tax return for the year ended April 2003.

Can anyone advise, does it need filling in? Do we need to fill in the supplementary page for non-residence for example? Have looked at the IR website and it talks about "split-year treatment", is that worth following up or does it not apply (we were resident in UK for 103 days of tax year 02-03)? No capital gains were made (the only assets we sold were our house and cars and these are exempt and I'm sure they're not interested in the bits and bobs we sold in the garage sale!)

I could just shove the form in the envelope and send it back reminding them that we have emigrated, on the other hand if there's anything we can claim back still............
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 3:56 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Worth writing to your tax office explaining you're no longer UK tax resident and no longer have UK income and in future you request not to be required to fill in UK tax return. Then you'll formalise the situation rather than run up automatic fines for not sending in the return which would be worrying to most people and just be another mess to sort out later.

Cheers - Don
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 7:11 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK tax return, help please!

Jacqui,

1. Don't ignore it or throw it in the bin.
2. It sounds like you don't have much to complete - maybe an employment supplement and a Non-Res supplement plus a few boxes on the main form.
3. Telephone the tax office and ask them whether they can simply close your file without you having to lodge the Return. Based on my previous experiences I would expect the Revenue to say no.
4. Please email me if you want an indication of our fees for assisting with its preparation and lodgement, or if you want the telephone number and/or fax number of your UK tax office (you'll have to tell me which office is shown on the front of the Return - the Centre for Non-Residents?).

Best regards.

Originally posted by Jacqui
Since emigrating July 2002 and having promptly received a tax refund, we weren't expecting to hear again from the I.R. but have received a tax return for the year ended April 2003.

Can anyone advise, does it need filling in? Do we need to fill in the supplementary page for non-residence for example? Have looked at the IR website and it talks about "split-year treatment", is that worth following up or does it not apply (we were resident in UK for 103 days of tax year 02-03)? No capital gains were made (the only assets we sold were our house and cars and these are exempt and I'm sure they're not interested in the bits and bobs we sold in the garage sale!)

I could just shove the form in the envelope and send it back reminding them that we have emigrated, on the other hand if there's anything we can claim back still............
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 9:26 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

If you emigrated in July 2002, you will have to fill in a tax return for 2002/2003. As the tax year runs from Apr. 6th to Apr. 5th, you will have to delare any earnings from 6th Apr 2002 until the date you left. A good accountant can run you off a copy of accounts with a 'nil balance' and do the return for you. There is also a box you can sign on the return, so that the accountant can take his fee off any refund and then just send you the balance. It works out easier in the long run.

Steve