Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK to Sydney - what to expect?

UK to Sydney - what to expect?

Old Mar 4th 2017, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Sydney - what to expect?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Let's be honest, all of Britain rocks one way or another. It's just personal preference as to what you like to do outside and how precious you are about being cold/wet. I totally put my hand up to being a princess in a UK winter.
Yeah. I suppose its tolerable if its all you have.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Let's be honest, all of Britain rocks one way or another. It's just personal preference as to what you like to do outside and how precious you are about being cold/wet. I totally put my hand up to being a princess in a UK winter.
I have endured the cold and wet in a 'professional' capacity in the UK in years when I knew no better. It's always good warming up in a pub. Depends on how long the cold goes on for and how pretty the pub is.

I used to ride out across across Exmoor in mid winter jumping hedges and the like and then goggle at the farmers daughters in the pub he he. It was truly no hardship at all.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 7:52 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Dead right moneypenny, it's personal preference and nothing gets a wider variety of opinions than the weather. After 57 Perth summers I feel like I've come alive in the UK! Not a day goes by that I'm not out walking, usually along the New Brighton promenade.

Hang on - I didn't go walking the day Storm Doris hit, or as it was christened around here, Doris Day
Old Mar 4th 2017, 7:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Yeah. I suppose its tolerable if its all you have.
Ahhahahahaaaa! A weather snob!!
Old Mar 4th 2017, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

Dead right moneypenny, it's personal preference and nothing gets a wider variety of opinions than the weather. After 57 Perth summers I feel like I've come alive in the UK! Not a day goes by that I'm not out walking, usually along the New Brighton promenade.

Hang on - I didn't go walking the day Storm Doris hit, or as it was christened around here, Doris Day
Yup, my experience too! I think my abstinence on Doris Day (too many big branches whizzing around) made it probably about the fifth day in 5 years that the weather has dampened my enthusiasm for a walk. I tend to walk 5-7 miles most days and it's been the best weight loss program ever!
Old Mar 4th 2017, 9:06 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by quoll
Yup, my experience too! I think my abstinence on Doris Day (too many big branches whizzing around) made it probably about the fifth day in 5 years that the weather has dampened my enthusiasm for a walk. I tend to walk 5-7 miles most days and it's been the best weight loss program ever!
Old Mar 5th 2017, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like it's all just really outdoorsy which is great! We love hot weather and being out in heat and sunshine. Though I imagine it to be a bit weird spending Xmas on the beach haha
As for families and kids,is there other (affordable) stuff to do as well though? I'm thinking things like playparks, splashpads, softplay, museums, zoos, sports clubs, horse riding... Things like that where you can still get maybe an affordable annual pass or so... xx
Old Mar 5th 2017, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanja87
Yeah, I guess that's very true! Bit risky going without having visited before...
We've just had a bit of a spanner thrown in the works as well so everything's a bit uncertain now... Turns out, as hubby doesn't have a degree, we might not be eligible for PR outright after all so, in Oz, our options now seem to be either a work sponsored visa or a family sponsored visa (he has a cousin in Oz). So there would really be no more security as it'd still only be a temp visa to start with.... So many things to consider! Xx

What type of work does your husband do? Without a degree and/or a good deal of management/executive experience, your husband might not be eligible for a job in the US either.

..... and, remember, you need the work visa, sponsored by the employer, before you enter the US.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like it's all just really outdoorsy which is great! We love hot weather and being out in heat and sunshine. Though I imagine it to be a bit weird spending Xmas on the beach haha
As for families and kids,is there other (affordable) stuff to do as well though? I'm thinking things like playparks, splashpads, softplay, museums, zoos, sports clubs, horse riding... Things like that where you can still get maybe an affordable annual pass or so... xx
Yep there's all that stuff.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 2:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

What we do have that as far as I know the UK doesn't, and sadly it never fails to impress me, is free, generally clean, public bbqs in almost every park.

Disclaimer: all the ones I have seen have been very clean. Can't speak for the whole country.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby is currently global director of operations at a managed IT service provider. He's been working in systems admin roles (and similar, working his way up the career ladder) for about 11.5 years. From what he tells me, he can use 8 years of work experience to "replace" the degree and then he still has the 3 years he needs for points.... But he's expecting to hear from a migration lawyer in the next few days to see where we actually stand. I find it all very complicated and he seems to find out new information every day so we're hoping an expert can shed some light.
If he has enough points to apply for PR in Oz outright, that's what we'll do. We'd rather go somewhere where we have the security that we can stay and not depend on an employer etc, running the risk of being told we have to leave the country again before our PR comes through. If not, it depends on where his company is willing to send him, as both the US and Oz MDs want him working for them...
It makes me very nervous not knowing if, how, when or where to we might be moving - I very much like to have a solid plan - but I guess with a huge decision like that we have to make sure everything is just right and in place before we decide. We're both desperate to leave the UK this year so fingers crossed there's gonna be a chance to do it. Xx
Old Mar 5th 2017, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The cost of living in TX is a lot less than in Sydney I'd imagine. 10k net is a good salary but if you buy, say goodbye to a fair chunk of that.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 5:18 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Aus's weather it not perfect. The weather can be dreadul. I've finally taken my children out today after a solid week of rain - not drizzle, like in the UK; monsoonal stuff. The smalls have been kept in at school recess, lunchtimes and afterschool at OOSH. They've been utterly feral as a result. We've finally bitten the bullet today with gumboots and raincoats and gone for a walk in the state forest, just because everyone was going stir crazy. You make the best of the good and bad weather here - just like in the UK. And that does mean stuff gets cancelled because of bad weather - like the pool party my daughter was meant to go to yesterday or the OOSH excursion that got canned over summer because the weather hit 43c and it was deemed unsafe for childen to be outside.

Personally, I don't know anyone that spends Christmas on the beach - that's for tourists.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

I don't mind rain really, even quite like it, when it's "the right kind" of rain iykwim. Here in the uk, by the south coast, it's rainy and windy and freeeeezing! So that sucks big time! While hubby was out in Sydney we Facetimed one evening and it was absolutely tipping it down over there, but people were still out in their shorts with umbrellas. All I wanted to do then was get my gym gear on and go running in the rain!! Can't do that here.... We'll, you can but you get battered in the face by freezing rain hitting at you sideways, not so appealing.... To me at least... I know it's not all sunshine and beaches but it is a massive improvement from what we get over here. At least as far as our weather preferences are concerned - I know everyone is different and we might even grow sick of the "nicer" weather but a) I doubt ANYONE would miss the uk weather and b) it's not just about the weather, really, is it?! Lol xx
Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't mind rain really, even quite like it, when it's "the right kind" of rain iykwim. Here in the uk, by the south coast, it's rainy and windy and freeeeezing! So that sucks big time! While hubby was out in Sydney we Facetimed one evening and it was absolutely tipping it down over there, but people were still out in their shorts with umbrellas. All I wanted to do then was get my gym gear on and go running in the rain!! Can't do that here.... We'll, you can but you get battered in the face by freezing rain hitting at you sideways, not so appealing.... To me at least... I know it's not all sunshine and beaches but it is a massive improvement from what we get over here. At least as far as our weather preferences are concerned - I know everyone is different and we might even grow sick of the "nicer" weather but a) I doubt ANYONE would miss the uk weather and b) it's not just about the weather, really, is it?! Lol xx
When it rains in Sydney it pours. Fortunately it tips it down in one hit unlike the UK where it drizzles for months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.