Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK state pension freeze – some comfort

UK state pension freeze – some comfort

Old Apr 11th 2005, 1:23 pm
Banned

jumbo will become famous soon enoughjumbo will become famous soon enough
Default UK state pension freeze – some comfort

For those of you worried the frozen State Pension there is some news to offset its effects. From last week it is possible to delay taking the pension for any period for a minimum of one year. During deferment the pension grows at base rate plus 2%. When the deferment period is over you can take either a lump sum and the pension at the current rate or the increased pension.

So this goes some way towards being able to get a pension at a higher rate than at 65 although the resulting pension taken later will still be frozen.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 6:27 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension freeze – some comfort

Originally Posted by jumbo
For those of you worried the frozen State Pension there is some news to offset its effects. From last week it is possible to delay taking the pension for any period for a minimum of one year. During deferment the pension grows at base rate plus 2%. When the deferment period is over you can take either a lump sum and the pension at the current rate or the increased pension.

So this goes some way towards being able to get a pension at a higher rate than at 65 although the resulting pension taken later will still be frozen.
Here is an interesting link:

http://www.completeframing.com.au/BPIA/

G
Old Apr 11th 2005, 6:31 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling
Here is an interesting link:

http://www.completeframing.com.au/BPIA/

G
Hello G

If, and its a large if, there is a change of government here next month it might just reopen the debate regarding this anomaly.

I am not holding out much hope, however, of either !!

Jim
Old Apr 11th 2005, 11:29 pm
ABCDiamond

Something else of interest regarding pensions:

From March 2000, any new migrant must have 10 years of residence in Australia before becoming eligible for the Australian Retirement pension.

Old Apr 12th 2005, 8:26 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Something else of interest regarding pensions:

From March 2000, any new migrant must have 10 years of residence in Australia before becoming eligible for the Australian Retirement pension.

Yep.......... was aware of that one also!!

Mind you, I hate to think what mess all the "western" countries state retirement pension systems will be in 20 years time. I probably won't be around to find out!

Jim
Old Apr 12th 2005, 8:31 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Originally Posted by jumbo

This, of course, is wonderful news unless you happen to die before drawing any of your pension, which, presumably the government is hoping may be the case and, of course, they have been able to invest your unpaid pension in whatever other way they wish.

My motto with anything "awarded" by the government is "have it now - tomorrow may be too late".

Might be the wrong "attitude" but I'll take my chance with that!

Regards

Jim
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:56 pm
Banned

jumbo will become famous soon enoughjumbo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
This, of course, is wonderful news unless you happen to die before drawing any of your pension, which, presumably the government is hoping may be the case and, of course, they have been able to invest your unpaid pension in whatever other way they wish.

My motto with anything "awarded" by the government is "have it now - tomorrow may be too late".

Might be the wrong "attitude" but I'll take my chance with that!

Regards

Jim
I do not disagree with you on this but it is an option if you want to take the risk.