British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   UK R85 tax return help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-r85-tax-return-help-434559/)

thomas and sarahjayne Mar 14th 2007 10:13 am

UK R85 tax return help

Hi can anyone help. Totally stupid question really. We arrived in Aus in December and lodged a R85 tax return form along with part of p45 for hubbies tax rebate for 2006-2007. I sent it away from aus at end of jan to uk. They have not acknowledged it or sent anything back. Do they wait until end of march until just before financial year to get in touch or do they do it right away? as iam getting fractious now.

many thanks

sj

sg1964 Mar 14th 2007 10:17 am

Re: UK R85 tax return help

got mine back within 3 weeks of applying, got cheque sent to my mothers address in the uk, she paid into my uk bank for me

simon

Wendy Mar 14th 2007 10:28 am

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne (Post 4517024)
Hi can anyone help. Totally stupid question really. We arrived in Aus in December and lodged a R85 tax return form along with part of p45 for hubbies tax rebate for 2006-2007. I sent it away from aus at end of jan to uk. They have not acknowledged it or sent anything back. Do they wait until end of march until just before financial year to get in touch or do they do it right away? as iam getting fractious now.

many thanks

sj

Ring them, you should have it by now. You will be able to find the Internation number from the following link http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/local/individ...al-numbers.htm

We had to ring them to get ours, it took them 4 months!

stacey and jordan Mar 14th 2007 10:29 am

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne (Post 4517024)

many thanks

sj

We took my husbands p85 form into our local tax office with his p45 on the 5th Jan day before we left the UK. About a month later they sent his p45 back stamped and nothing else. Husband phoned them last night to see what was going on, they told him there was a back log of about 15 weeks, but she would try and hurry it up for us.

Stacey

thomas and sarahjayne Mar 14th 2007 10:52 am

Hi all

thanks for replys, i will chase it up, i did not think its was normal to be waiting this long

cheers

sj

nickyjohnt Mar 14th 2007 10:58 am

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan (Post 4517071)
We took my husbands p85 form into our local tax office with his p45 on the 5th Jan day before we left the UK. About a month later they sent his p45 back stamped and nothing else. Husband phoned them last night to see what was going on, they told him there was a back log of about 15 weeks, but she would try and hurry it up for us.

Stacey

Sent my P45 off in Nov 2005 and P85 Jan 2006 and still waiting for rebate. They have just informed me i now have to pay £100 fine for late return of Self Assessment Tax Return, If they had of sent it to me in the first place it may have helped. Only been here 11mths now and still waiting. Think mine must have been caught in a 16 MONTH BACK LOG:mad: .
Good luck with yours

John

Wendy Mar 14th 2007 10:59 am

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne (Post 4517142)
Hi all

thanks for replys, i will chase it up, i did not think its was normal to be waiting this long

cheers

sj

Yeah chase it up. When I rang after 4 months to see where ours was, I had it within 10 days!

thomas and sarahjayne Mar 14th 2007 11:03 am

did they forward it onto aus or to the uk?. I'll call them that link was really useful
thanks wendy

sj x

Wendy Mar 14th 2007 11:13 am

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne (Post 4517181)
did they forward it onto aus or to the uk?. I'll call them that link was really useful
thanks wendy

sj x

I nominated for them to put it in my son's bank account as we thought he could use it to pay for a flight out here.

thomas and sarahjayne Mar 14th 2007 11:23 am

good idea, i was thinking about getting to my mum as she would never book the flight on her own accord and it would help a little

sj x

Wendy Mar 14th 2007 11:26 am

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne (Post 4517256)
good idea, i was thinking about getting to my mum as she would never book the flight on her own accord and it would help a little

sj x

Aw, that's a nice idea.

Only 14 weeks before my lad comes out now, I can't wait :D

thomas and sarahjayne Mar 14th 2007 11:48 am

I've just our inland revenue office and they said that there was a 15 week back log, but have posted the cheque to Aus address which is fine, but not for as much as we anticipated but then again suppose its still something

sj x