Reload this Page >

UK qualifications....

UK qualifications....

Old Jul 29th 2004, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

LC_GH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK qualifications....

.... are they recognised in Australia?

It may be a silly question, but just wondering if my degree and stuff will be "effective' so to speak.

Sorry it is a general query, but any advice appreciated. I have contacted the relevant law society but to no avail!

Cheers in advance...
Oh, it is a law degree if that makes any difference to advice...
Old Jul 29th 2004, 6:04 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK qualifications....

Originally posted by LC_GH
.... are they recognised in Australia?

It may be a silly question, but just wondering if my degree and stuff will be "effective' so to speak.

Sorry it is a general query, but any advice appreciated. I have contacted the relevant law society but to no avail!

Cheers in advance...
Oh, it is a law degree if that makes any difference to advice...
Soloicitors and barristers are on the SOL but have you qualified?

If not I would put this on the immigration forum. Don't forget you need work experience to go with it so a degree alone won't get you in. Is this what you meen by "stuff" ie work experience?

Walla
Old Jul 29th 2004, 6:58 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

If it weren't for the lawyers we wouldn't need them.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

I have my Degree, Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice and 3 years practical experience - however this was not recognised by the law society - in that it was not in a registered training contract.

Have just been in contact with the Victorian Legal Institute who advised me that to qualify as a solicitor in Victoria, you need to have a degree plus practical experience which can either be 1 year article clerkship OR Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice. We need both in the UK. But, they were unable to answer my query - been given other contact details though.

Thanks for the replies and I will place this on the immigration forum too.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 7:31 am
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Hello,

The experience required, for example if i have a degree in lets say law does it mean i must have for example 3 years experience in a profession related to law, or can i have a degree in law and 3 years experience in a skill ( in the skills list ) other than related to my degree?

Thanks
Old Jul 29th 2004, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

Afraid I don't know as I willl be applying under de facto spouse. Sorry.

Laura
Old Jul 29th 2004, 7:44 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Boomerang
Hello,

The experience required, for example if i have a degree in lets say law does it mean i must have for example 3 years experience in a profession related to law, or can i have a degree in law and 3 years experience in a skill ( in the skills list ) other than related to my degree?

Thanks

Hi Boomerang

Lets say for example: you have a degree in social sciences which vetassess will deem as appropriate for migration but they also assess your work experience out of 3 of the last 4 years. So you could be a training officer (50 points) but you don't have to be training officer in the field of social sciences you can be a training officer in HR or any other field.

Does this make sense?

Walla
Old Jul 29th 2004, 7:54 am
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Hello Thanks Walla1,

It makes sense, but my worry is although i will be starting uni soon, my current job has nothing to do with the degree that i will be studying at the university hence my doughts.

Im an Accounts Manager for a Logistics company and i will be studying Sociology at the same time ( part-time ).

Regards,
Pedro
Old Jul 29th 2004, 8:12 am
Keeping it fairly real

Hello Thanks Walla1,

It makes sense, but my worry is although i will be starting uni soon, my current job has nothing to do with the degree that i will be studying at the university hence my doughts.

Im an Accounts Manager for a Logistics company and i will be studying Sociology at the same time ( part-time ).

Regards,
Pedro
Hi Pedro

Is your current job on SOL? And are you just doing a degree to get into Oz.

You could always consider the TRA option. I'm no migration expert, if I was you I would seek professional help. There are some excellent agents who use the immigration forum, George Lombard and Alan Collet spring to mind. You will find their contact details there too.

Good luck

Walla
Old Jul 29th 2004, 10:00 am
G'day Mate

Hello,

The Degree is to enhance the application im 22 and have no experience in trades, what i was thinking as well is to do the degree and then go out there and do Trade qualification ( would love to do the degree in Australia but is veryyyyyy expensive ), im just trying to find a route and being so young with no experience it is a bit difficult.

I have to do something that will be for Australia and my benefit.

Regards
Old Jul 29th 2004, 10:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by LC_GH
Hi,

Afraid I don't know as I willl be applying under de facto spouse. Sorry.

Laura
So to everyone - don't confuse Laura by talking about skilled migration requirements, SOL, etc - they do *not* apply in this instance.

To Laura: Recognition of foreign legal qualifications (if you want to become an Australian lawyer) is patchy in Australia. You almost certainly will have to do further exams and practical experience if that's the career path you want to take. The state/territory law societies are the correct contact points.

You can still migrate as a spouse, however.

Until you get permanent residence, university courses may cost you more than they would for Australians.

Jeremy
Old Jul 29th 2004, 10:36 am
Keeping it fairly real

Hello,

The Degree is to enhance the application im 22 and have no experience in trades, what i was thinking as well is to do the degree and then go out there and do Trade qualification ( would love to do the degree in Australia but is veryyyyyy expensive ), im just trying to find a route and being so young with no experience it is a bit difficult.

I have to do something that will be for Australia and my benefit.

Regards

Hi

TRA thing is a no go then I think you need 6 years work experience, could be wrong as I say do a post on immigration forum. Unless you have been working 6 years, didn't realise you were 22.

How long is your part time degree taking, 5 years? Yeah I know the expense of Australian degrees I putting my son through one in 2 years, ouch!!

Walla
Old Jul 29th 2004, 11:01 am
G'day Mate

Sorry JAJ,

Just making use of this topic instead of creating another one.

---

Hello Walla,

Yes 5 years, i want to try and apply before i reach 29 otherwise i will lose points after im 29 years old.

I could also do the degree in Australia ( adelaide for example and i could earn an extra 5 points for studying in a low growth area ) but that would mean, me working in the Uk and saving non stop for 2/3 years. But what it is required today might not be there in 2 years time tough decision.

Anyway thanks for the replies, i shall try and do a bit more research