Reload this Page >

UK Psychology Graduate

UK Psychology Graduate

Old Apr 26th 2008, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

emma6687 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Psychology Graduate

Hi guys,

Exscuse my ignorance on all of this - I've only started researching and am finding it all a bit confusing!

What I really would like to know is if anyone would be able to tell me if there are many employment opportunities with someone with an honours psychology degree?

I'm just finishing uni so as far as I can tell I don't think I qualify in the skilled visa section.

Just finding everything a bit confusing at the mo - don't know where to start!

Thank!
Emma

xxx
Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Psychology Graduate

Just an honours? Your options are going to be limited as APS membership I think is now 5 years quals (you may get equivalence for 4 years honours here but that could be a fight) - very similar to chartered psych status from the BPS.

Registration in various states differs - some are still 4 years qualifications and if you can get your honours degree recognized as a 4 year equivalent you could get registered but there is a push to have national registration standards and the 5 year quals are being pushed in line with APS requirements. You dont actually have to be a member of APS to practice but it helps. Most practising psychs here now have a masters or equivalent diploma. You would be better to get some further training in the area you want to work in. Education is always calling out for school counsellors (ed psychs) but you generally have to have the teaching component to go with it.

If you can get registration then (this is true for ACT and, I assume the other states) you are registered as an intern with a heavy and quite structured supervision program for 2 years before you are registered unconditionally.

The APS site is a good place to start. The [ACT Psych Registration Board gives a clue about what is required for registration to practice.

Many people with psych first degrees never practice at all they just go into some other generic organization - I think the Australian Public Service is brimming with people who did psych at uni but never went on to get the additonal qualifications to enable them to practice.

Good luck!