Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK property - house left in a shocking state by tenant!

UK property - house left in a shocking state by tenant!

Old May 6th 2011, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK property - house left in a shocking state by tenant!

Originally Posted by Smudger82

My advice to anyone thinking of renting out their place to a 'stranger' is don't! Just take the hit and sell if you don't plan to return to the property to live.
For various reasons that just might not be feasible.

Whilst I am a little annoyed that my property was not left 100% either, probably the best advice on this thread is to consider it a cost of doing business. I am going to try and see it that way.

We also decided if we ever do go back, we will just redecorate from top to bottom and get it back feeling ours again.
Old May 6th 2011, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

The important thing is not to become an 'accidental landlord' like has happened to so many. When you make the switch from homeowner to investor, you need to realise that you are running a business. Running a business has positive and negative risks. More than that, you are running a consumer business which means you have to deal with customers.

I personally could never deal with customers and their inane requests and complaints, I don't have that personality. In part, that is why you have an agent, to interface between you and the customer.

Hopefully this doesn't give you a negative attitude towards all customers, but sometimes you get a bad apple.
Old May 6th 2011, 11:56 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
The important thing is not to become an 'accidental landlord' like has happened to so many. When you make the switch from homeowner to investor, you need to realise that you are running a business. Running a business has positive and negative risks. More than that, you are running a consumer business which means you have to deal with customers.

I personally could never deal with customers and their inane requests and complaints, I don't have that personality. In part, that is why you have an agent, to interface between you and the customer.

Hopefully this doesn't give you a negative attitude towards all customers, but sometimes you get a bad apple.
I became an accidental landlord. I didn't know it was important not to become one.
Old May 7th 2011, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
(Background - House in NI, fully managed by a really good agent, tenant in house since I left it, (15 months) he has just moved out.)

Don't you just LOVE LOVE LOVE time differences!? lol

Long story short, my tenant has left my house in a terrible mess - filthy from top to bottom, kitchen honking - from the cupboards, to the worktops to the floors, bathrooms disgusting, stair carpets needing cleaned, both gardens left uncut, fire left uncleaned, shed left unlocked, with all of my gardening equipment left inside. THANKS MATE!

So, he was owed £425 deposit back but both my agent and my Dad have decided to withold £125, which in all honesty, isn't very much, and he's got off lightly! His Dad was present for the inspection and became threatening with the agent saying 'If he doesn't get all of his deposit back I'll be coming looking for it!!!' << charmed, I'm sure!!! lol My Dad has since been up and said he spent a few hours sorting out the bathrooms alone, today, PURE MINGING! He also hired a carpet cleaner to sort the stairs out! So my Dad is doing all of the cleaning and maintenance to get the house habitable again, so he will be getting the £125, he's spent one day there already and envisages at least another two, one more to sort the inside and another the outside!

So in conclusion, the reason I love time differences so much!? I received an email from my tenant this morning to say he'd contacted his solicitor (ironic as the same guy is also my solicitor haha) and if he doesn't get his full deposit back he will be taking court action!

Anyone else had a similar situation to this, or am I the only lucky one!? lol
Wow, that tenant's getting off lightly if you're only keeping £125. We were renting here for 18 months before we moved into our own house and our old lease stipulated that we'd be responsible for any additional costs if we left the property in a less than pristine condition. We also had to provide the receipt from the professional carpet cleaners upon move-out (and we could only use the ones the agency recommended).

We hired professional cleaners after we moved out just because it was less aggravation than spending two days cleaning an empty house with bored kids ping-ponging around and complaining.

We had a move-in report, complete with photos, that was the size of the phone book and it was the basis for comparison when we left the premises. The only property-related deduction from our bond was for the sprinkler heads we forgot to replace.

It sounds like either the rental agent is not up to the task of keeping the tenants in line or the rental contract needs to be tightened up...I know as much as I wasn't particularly fond of our agents and the continual inspections, they seemed to run a tight ship...I know we couldn't have left the property in a state...we would have been deducted whatever it cost for cleaning, gardening, repairs...

We had tenants back in Canada but in the 8 years we were renting out our basement suite, we never had any problems...that said, we screened really well and we were living upstairs...hard for tenants to get into much mischief when the landlord is living right above them.

I hope this doesn't put you off the whole business...there are good tenants out there as well.
Old May 7th 2011, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rambi
I became an accidental landlord. I didn't know it was important not to become one.
I hope it works out for you.
Old May 7th 2011, 2:42 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

I hope it works out for you.
Worked out.
Old May 7th 2011, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Worked out.
I'm very happy for you.
Old May 7th 2011, 9:41 am
Rhino with a big horn!

I'm very happy for you.
Me too. Although it was accidental I was a good landlord. I got rid of the agent on the first property quite quickly as they were about as useful as the tits on a boar. They served their purpose which was to get the property on the market and establish a fair rent. After that I managed the property (and later properties) as I would have like my landlord to manage them (if I had been renting). I did everything by the book as well even down to getting the rental agreement stamped. Without that you can't guarantee that it'll stand up in court.

I will say that I found South Africans (of all descriptions) to be good tenants.
Old May 7th 2011, 9:48 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

I'm tempted to call my tenants bluff and suggest I withold all of his deposit in case any court costs are incurred then I'll take them from the remainder of his deposit, dare me?! lol
Old May 7th 2011, 9:51 am
Rhino with a big horn!

I'm tempted to call my tenants bluff and suggest I withold all of his deposit in case any court costs are incurred then I'll take them from the remainder of his deposit, dare me?! lol
That's what I would do.
Old May 7th 2011, 9:56 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I would do.
Haha it was my Dad's idea, will see what my agent thinks lol
Old May 7th 2011, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Smudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud of

Take the full bond, well within your rights.
Old May 7th 2011, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Me too. Although it was accidental I was a good landlord.
Is it a course of action that you would advise for others though? i.e. Becoming a landlord without considering the implications of becoming an investor and running a business.

It's more than likely going to finish badly. The failure rates for new businesses and new landlords are both very high. Of course analysis doesn't guarantee or even improve chances of success but at least if you're enlightened you know the risks.
Old May 7th 2011, 11:24 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Is it a course of action that you would advise for others though? i.e. Becoming a landlord without considering the implications of becoming an investor and running a business.

It's more than likely going to finish badly. The failure rates for new businesses and new landlords are both very high. Of course analysis doesn't guarantee or even improve chances of success but at least if you're enlightened you know the risks.
Generally I would say yes. As businesses go it is quite easy to set up and run. Compared to running an SME it is a doddle. It is important not to take things to the edge and to manage the risks. For example you have to consider the potential renters. If you want to go for DSS market then you have to be prepared for trouble (late rent payments, possibility of more damage, difficulty of removing a troublesome tenant (especially if they have kids)). That's not to say that they are all going to be like that or anything more than a small minority, it's just you have to assess the risks and act accordingly (for example the furnishings you chose).

It's worth keeping in touch with the renters just to keep an eye on things. As I said earlier I found South Africans to be good renters. One problem with them is that they on sell their rooms. Once I discovered this I made sure they informed me that this was happening. I also made sure that the new person understood that they were taking over the liabilities of the previous tenant with respect to the deposit. The plus side is that one didn't have the cost of finding new tenants when the old ones moved on.

Obviously at the moment I have no intention of becoming a deliberate landlord in Aus. I would consider it again if the house prices were better value.
Old May 7th 2011, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Last year my tennant just upped and left one day. My house lay vacant for 10 weeks until a neew tennant moved in. We used her bond to pay the mortgage - she never got a penny back. I had spent days cleaning before she moved in - not that it was dirty but I scrubbed walls etc, carpets were professionally cleaned. She did NOTHING My sister and brother-in-law had to go clean up, cut grass, weed etc. My sister said the house was in a right mess. I have since made sure our agent does 3 monthly inspections and sends me a report that the house is well kept. We have had no problems so far However, lease is once again up for renewal and I have requested that agent writes a clause in the say that we will be selling sometime in the future however we will give her 2 months notice when she needs to move out. Haven't heard back from him on this one. Does anyone know the rules of selling whilst renting house out?

Lynn xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.