Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Private Pension

UK Private Pension

Old Jan 12th 2024, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Private Pension

Originally Posted by Jakeinaka
That's sort of what I did, moved to another provider who is more "friendly". There is a BUT, mine needs a UK bank account to pay into. Another can of worms for many...
You can open a UK bank account using www.wise.com even if you are non resident.
Old Jan 12th 2024, 9:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingsboy48
This has already been recommended in post #13 above, and partially discredited, in post 14 above.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 12th 2024 at 9:49 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2024, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Jakeinaka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kingsboy48
Again, Wise is not a bank.

As Pulaski mentioned, it IS a good service, I use it regularly, but some/many pension providers including mine do not accept it.
Old Jan 13th 2024, 12:29 am
Just Joined

capnbirdseye is an unknown quantity at this point

My pension company gave me the run-around about "it's not a proper bank account". I pushed back hard, opened a formal complaint with them (didn't have to take it to the regulator), and they caved and agreed to pay into a Wise account. Not only did they cave, but they also paid me compensation for the hassle of arguing with them + the difference in value between when I asked for the money and when they finally disgorged it!

The argument I made was that:
  1. It's impossible for a US Person to get a UK bank account these days.
  2. Sending me a UK Pounds cheque in the mail would be insecure and involve me losing on the exchange rate if I paid it into a US bank.
  3. If I want to take the "risk" of paying into Wise, that's on me - I even offered to sign a waiver (they didn't take me up on that).
As to the alleged risk of having money in Wise, I didn't leave it there, I transferred it to my US bank account as soon as it was deposited.

All that said, EverBank (the bank formerly known as TIAA) offers is a "real bank" in the USA (with FDIC guarantees, etc.), so a pension provider would have no reasonable argument against paying to them. I went as far as opening an account with EverBank as a fallback before my pension provider caved.

Note that UK Pounds held in an EverBank account are not reportable on 8938 and FBAR, because they are a US domestic account, just denominated in a foreign currency. A Wise account is a foreign custodial account that should be reported like any other foreign bank account.
Old Jan 13th 2024, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well done. There is no reason they can’t pay into a foreign account or any other regulated account. If the UK government pension can be paid overseas, as can my local government pension then I really don’t see why private providers can’t do it. They really need to take notice and sort these stupid rules, even if requiring a disclaimer to do it.
Old Feb 7th 2024, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I've been receiving a private pension from a previous employer in the UK for 10 years now. They send my pension to my Oz bank a/c monthly and they have never missed a payment. As above you do need to complete a UK tax form declaring you are no longer a UK resident to enable you to receive the pension Tax free from the UK gov.
I did this after staring the pension and so I was taxed for a couple of months but once I'd submitted the tax form I received all the tax I had paid refunded.

The money IS subject to tax in Oz if you earn above the Oz tax threshold but with SAPTO that is $32,000 (single) or $61,000 (couple).
Old Feb 13th 2024, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

SAPTO only applies if you are eligible for age pension or other Centrelink payments though.
Old Feb 13th 2024, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rammygirl
SAPTO only applies if you are eligible for age pension or other Centrelink payments though.
No it increases the amount of money you receive before having to pay tax. This income is from investments, saving, earning, foreign pensions, etc.
It doesn't include Sup because that is tax free anyway.

Without SAPTO the tax rate is: taxable income of $18,201 to $45,000 – 19% of excess over $18,200;
Old Feb 17th 2024, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes but to be eligible for SAPTO you have to be eligible for other Centrelink payments like age pension. You don’t just get it because of age. I’m unlikely to qualify for age pension or benefits so can’t take advantage of SAPTO even though I’m old enough.
Old Feb 17th 2024, 8:52 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but to be eligible for SAPTO you have to be eligible for other Centrelink payments like age pension. You don’t just get it because of age. I’m unlikely to qualify for age pension or benefits so can’t take advantage of SAPTO even though I’m old enough.
Info on SAPTO - https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals-a...ers-tax-offset

You were age-pension age and eligible for an Australian Government age pension during the income year, but you didn't receive it because you didn't make a claim or because of the income test or assets test.​​​​

Last edited by old.sparkles; Feb 18th 2024 at 1:31 am.
Old Feb 18th 2024, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Info on SAPTO - https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals-a...ers-tax-offset

You were age-pension age and eligible for an Australian Government age pension during the income year, but you didn't receive it because you didn't make a claim or because of the income test or assets test.

yes that is what I mean I’m not eligible for age pension because assets/ income too high. That means I can’t claim SAPTO. It isn’t just about age.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Feb 18th 2024 at 1:32 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Feb 18th 2024, 1:29 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

yes that is what I mean I’m not eligible for age pension because assets/ income too high. That means I can’t claim SAPTO. It isn’t just about age.
I suggest that you read that again then, as not being eligible for the age pension due to income / assets does not mean you automatically not eligible for SAPTO
Old Feb 18th 2024, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm not eligible for the pension because my assets / income are too high but i still get SAPTO higher income tax limit and it means I've not paid any income tax since i retired.

https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals-a...t#Incomelimits

On the Income tax return it's under OFFSETS and Seniors and pensioners tax offset I use offset code A
Old Feb 18th 2024, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
I'm not eligible for the pension because my assets / income are too high but i still get SAPTO higher income tax limit and it means I've not paid any income tax since i retired.

https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals-a...t#Incomelimits

On the Income tax return it's under OFFSETS and Seniors and pensioners tax offset I use offset code A
Ah OK but do you get the full amount as it appears it is reduced over certain limits?
Our earnings from sources other than super May be too high? I will ask my accountant this year.
Old Feb 18th 2024, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah OK but do you get the full amount as it appears it is reduced over certain limits?
Could be The max you can earn without paying tax is $32,279 and it reduces when you earn more than $50,119.

Maybe you should get a more competent accountant if they didn't even know about SAPTO.