Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Plasma TV's in Australia

UK Plasma TV's in Australia

Old Mar 3rd 2007, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

3littlefigs will become famous soon enough
Default UK Plasma TV's in Australia

Can anyone tell us if my Hitachi Plasma TV will work in Australia? It's 2 years old and cost a lot of money at the time! Thanks
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Plasma TV's in Australia

As long as it survives the journey I would imagine it would be fine. They sell 'em out here too you know!
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 3littlefigs
Can anyone tell us if my Hitachi Plasma TV will work in Australia? It's 2 years old and cost a lot of money at the time! Thanks
Uk T.V's use PAL I, Australian T.V's also use PAL but a different version, so your T.V will work with pictures but no sound. I think you can get them upgraded but it costs a lot of money.

The alternative is to take it with you and use a digital set top box or Foxtel to view the channels, it will work then, but only if your T.V has composite inputs as not many things use Scart in Oz.

The good news is that some of the channels air in HD so if you have and HD ready tv you will be fine.

Hope this helps

Bobby
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 10:17 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Should work Just fine, Bought ours over and had no problems, But then again ours is just a monitor (no tuner) and we run it through the Austar box. You can get the very cheap out here. Paid $1999 in oz, £6500.00 in uk (about 5years ago) both Panasonics.
Just make sure it's packed in the original box, or you may not be insured, check with your shipping insurance.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We are going back to the Uk with a plasma bought in Oz and I have been told that if you go into the settings on the plasma and there are different PAL settings then it will be ok in the UK so I'm sure that works the other way round.

JO
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry, i dont have a definate answer but I'm very intersested in finding out.

We just spent far too much money on a new Sony LCD a few weeks ago, then spoke to a shipper at the Emigrate show in Edinburgh last weekend who said it wouldn't work in Oz!

OH whos much more gadget knowledgable than me reckons it'll be fine using a sky (au equivelant) box or freeview box.

Hope this helps, if not E-Bay here we come!
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 2:52 pm
Just wanna be there

paul and Lynz will become famous soon enoughpaul and Lynz will become famous soon enough

We are living in germany at the moment and have a uk plasma tv, we get a picture but no sound, so we just play the sound through our dvd player
hth
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

if you go to your TV's setup menu selection and choose the audio page, you may be able to alter the setting from I (UK default sound setting) to B/G (the Oz setting) - more info here:http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/W...broadcast.html
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 9:11 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyfaescotland
...it will work then, but only if your T.V has composite inputs as not many things use Scart in Oz...
You can get leads that convert from composite to scart though...
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice

Right now listen carefully

Take down the model number and serial number, go onto the respective website for your tv make and look at the spec.

If it has an international tuner, and I would imagine most decent ones would, then you will be fine, mine was.

Find out what PAL you need and see if your tv has it, mine has PAL1 PAL2 NTSC SECAM

But personaly if you have a plasma this is your chance to ditch it on some other sucker and get a decent tv, i:e DLP or LCD
Old Mar 6th 2007, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

3littlefigs will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Whingin Pom
Right now listen carefully

Take down the model number and serial number, go onto the respective website for your tv make and look at the spec.

If it has an international tuner, and I would imagine most decent ones would, then you will be fine, mine was.

Find out what PAL you need and see if your tv has it, mine has PAL1 PAL2 NTSC SECAM

But personaly if you have a plasma this is your chance to ditch it on some other sucker and get a decent tv, i:e DLP or LCD
Thanks for all your advise - I think I will risk taking it
Old Mar 6th 2007, 2:46 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your advise - I think I will risk taking it

Ours works to a point. On one channel you get sound, on another you get picture, its ok if you keep flicking between the two channels really fast, but personally I find it give me a headache after a while